• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Whatever gets you through...

I'm having open resection surgery on Friday so here's what is getting me through...

On Sunday I put a deposit down for a mini schnauzer to be collected 15 October four weeks post op. I am so excited, been searching for one for ages and finally have chosen one :) he will be called Ludo!

Bought an iPad so have downloaded books, books and more books, not to mention several apps - anyone got good suggestions? Have made new playlists to cheer me up too.

Tempted to get very slightly drunk tonight as can't sleep well right now so it would be purely medicinal of course.

Any more suggestions?

spoil yourself rotten with all your favourite foods you can tolerate, have some friends round and what the hell.........get totally drunk!!! lol

oh and make sure you've got a stash of dvds for the upcoming weeks recovery x

Ruth

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I haven't had surgery, but I do have to do prep tomorrow for a pill cam Thursday. So today I went out and bought myself some nice warm fuzzy slippers - at least now I know my feet will be comfortable during the prep, even if the rest of me won't! :)

If you're going to be in the hospital for a little while, I recommend a nice pair of slippers, and if they let you wear pajamas instead of hospital gowns, maybe a cozy pair of pajamas too. Oh, and there are fun games available for the ipad. I don't have an ipad myself, but I know that Plants vs. Zombies is available for it - that's a really fun game and easy to play.

Good luck on your surgery, I hope you have a smooth & speedy recovery! :)

Best of luck with everything :D Definitely get yourself as many things to keep you entertained as possible while you're recovering. Boredom gets to me more than anything when I'm in hospital haha.

Sounds like you have your bases covered with your pre-surgery preparations. Best of luck to you.
Congratulations on the newest addition to your family...I have to say you have great taste. Mini Schnauzers are the best.

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions :)

Ruth - I took your advice and caned the wine last night so feeling like I've just been exhumed but at least I slept well!

Cat-a-tonic - Got the slippers and nightwear sorted, hope I get to wear them as those gowns are just not right. Downloaded plants v zombies and it does look good thanks for that :) I've never had a pill cam, is the prep the same as for a colonoscopy? Hope it goes ok for you and that it proves worthwhile in terms of the results of the test.

Gringo43 - very good!

Seaofdreams - thanks for your best wishes, you are so right, there is no boredom quite like hospital boredom. I saw that you are on methotrexate, I am having that post op as can't do aza or 6mp. I didn't know that you have to inject it, is it available in pill form too?

Roundtuit - again thanks for your best wishes, I thought I saw a mini schnauzer on an avatar on here. He/she looks adorable, the picture on my avatar was taken of the puppy on Sunday. I agree they are wonderful dogs, so full of fun, I really think that having a wee, bouncy puppy will speed up my recovery no end.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yes, the prep I'm doing for my pill cam is the same as colonoscopy prep but fortunately they're only making me drink 1/2 the normal amount. I get to start drinking it this afternoon, lucky me. I got my fuzzy slippers and comfy pajamas ready to go too. :) I hope all goes well with your surgery - good luck! Get well soon so you can play with that new puppy! :D

It's available in both pill form and injections. My doctor opted to go with injections because you have a better control over exactly how much of the dose is being absorbed into the body and I also found with a bit of my own research that side effects like nausea and fatigue are reduced when it's injected rather than taken orally.
In saying that, I had no side effects at all after my first injection :D