• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Two months post surgery--working out/pain?

I had bowel resection two months ago--several inches of small and large intestine removed. Surgery was done laparoscopically w/out complication. STill have some random pain where obstruction was in lower right, but am back on Humira so hopefully drug will work this time...

My question is regarding working out about 2 months after surgery. I just started to lift weights (dr said 20 lbs okay) until I felt a strange burning/pain where main incision was (pain ended up going away after stopped exercising). Has anyone experienced this after surgery? Is this normal?

Yea Crohinie2 I get that pain,I had open surgery 10 in vertical rail road tract on the belly,anyway my surgery was July 29 about a month after, if I sneezed or flexed my belly muscle like lifting your legs to get in car,I would get a stinging just left and below the belly button,it felt like needle pricks or a burn,my sister is a RN and told me its nerve endings no problem,it's been almost two months for me and that stinging pain is fading away,I start 6mp in Oct for my maintenance drug,oh I see you like to lift weights my surgeon told me 2 months to heal 90% a year for 100%.

Same as 5 iron for me. I'd wait till you don't have any pain to start working out. I still get pains in my core when I do core workouts 6 months after my surgery.

My surgery was 10 years ago so quite hard to remember, but I remember a lot of strange feelings in my scar area, like pulling etc, think its all to do with the healing of muscle etc, pretty sure nothing to worry about but just chat through with your doc/gi/surgeon for a bit of piece of mind. It won't last long xx

I had that on my first surgery. Not on the next 2. On the first, sometimes I would just get up a certain way, and I would have the burning feeling. It went away after a while.