• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SSRI's for crohn's pain?

Hi my daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's 2 yrs ago 4 days before her 11th birthday. It has been a very challenging time. She has been in the hospital 19 times since then. She is allergic to imuran and resistant to remicaide. She has been on methotrexate for the past year which was working well until her most recent flar up. Her doctor now wants to try putting her on an SSRI called celexa which is a type of antidepressant. He claims at low doses it dampens GI pain. I can find nothing about this on the internet and am nervous about it. My older son who is 15 was recently diagnosed with IBS and is on Amitryptline for it which is also a type of antidepressant and it works well for him. But my daughter is a very different child then him. She is very sensitive tomedication and I am worried about how she will react. Has anyone else any experience with these meds for pain?

I have heard that several antidepressants on the market that can help with minor pain. Being on an antidepressant will help with the stress and anxiety more than with the pain, in my opinion. Like any other medication though, this particular antidepressant may not work for her. I have been on several different antidepressants over the years, some have worked far better than others. With her being so young, I would keep a close eye on how she reacts. They always strongly caution against adolescents taking antidepressants. Sometimes they can have negative reactions to these meds. You are probably already aware of this, being that your son is also on an antidepressant.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi kimmi and :welcome:

You certainly have a lot on your plate and I'm so sorry to your daughter is having such a difficult, it must be heartbreaking for you. I have certainly heard of SSRI's being used for IBS and SSRI's and antiepileptics being used for neuropathic pain but not Crohn's pain. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you. Please stick around and keep us posted on how your children faring. Hopefully someone may have had exposure to this type of treatment.

Take care, :hug:
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Kim, welcome!! Do both your children see the same GI? I don't know anything about the meds you've mentioned but if you do let her try it, just be sure to be extra vigilant to catch any negative side effects early. Good luck, I hope she finds a maintenance med that'll work for her soon!!

I apologize for not acknowledging how difficult this must be for you. As a mother of two myself, I can't imagine having to watch your children face such challenges. Making these types of decisions for ourselves is difficult, but having to do so for our precious children is a whole other matter. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of keeping on top of things. You can't take away all the pain this terrible disease causes, but being there for your children is one of the best things you can do. I remember feeling so isolated as a teenager. I just wished I could be normal, like everyone else. Keep up the good work MOM!

Daughter with Crohn's

Thanks everyone for the advice. My daughter really has no depression or anxiety issues other then when she is feling sick. In between she is the most happy person you will ever meet. That is why I am so reluctant to put her on theses meds that have other side effects. I am not sure what to do.

My son too was diagnosed when he was 91/2. I also have crohns and like your daughter had an highly allergic reaction to immuran, it was terrible. I feel like I try to keep up on all types of treatment and have never heard of anti-depresants as a choice, my insticts say no...it sounds like more of a band-aid, and even that is tempting because we just want to take away the pain, and not be so darn helpless, but the kids already have so much to deal with, and verging on puberty, its like we wouldnt be able to make sense of any of their feelings...just my thoughts...pray, and breathe!!!