• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative Colitis and Accutane

Ulcerative Colitis and Acutane

My 17 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. She takes two Lialda every day and it has put her in remission for 6 months. Prior to receiving this terrible diagnosis, she was battling a bad case of acne. She had looked forward to starting Acutane but her doctors advised against it with the UC. Now that it is under control, she began the Acutane but it has made her UC flare up.

Is this the right forum to ask questions about that?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi concerned mom and :welcome:

I see you posted in another forum and have received replies about the issues surrounding Accutane and IBD. I don't know enough about it to answer your question but I guess if it were me I would be very cautious about it and probably inclined not to go down that path.

Please stay around and keep us posted. Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Mom, welcome!! I agree with Dusty!! There's just too many questions surrounding the link between accutane and IBD to be comfortable with it!!

I'm no med pro, and someone may know a reason why this shouldn't be done, but when I was younger, I'd scrub my face with very warm water before bed. Just water because soaps would dry my skin and aggravate the acne. Then I'd place a dab of anti-biotic ointment on the pimples. This would usually clear them up quickly for me. I guess with anything, you should ask a doc first!! Good luck to you and her!!