Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Should I still be on these meds?

09-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Cooro

My Support Groups:
Should I still be on these meds?

I've been on pentasa for more than 7 months and entocort maybe 5 months. The pentasa did absolutely nothing to help me with my crohn's and entocort only took the edge off for a little big before not doing anything.

My GI doc doesn't want to give up on these meds but whats the point of taking them if they're not working? To just give money away freely to the pharmacy? Honestly What do you guys think?
09-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
If they haven't worked for you - I think you should talk to your GI doc.....have they given you any idea why they want you to keep trying them?.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
09-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Cooro

My Support Groups:
All he says is that he doesn't want to give up on the two. But if the pentasa was gonna do something, it would of done something after a month. Yet the crohn's pain continued to get worse.
09-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
Isn't your GI talking of starting you on Remicade?

"Never feel guilty for being sick and try to stop comparing yourself and your life to others. You're doing the best you can under the circumstances you have and you're doing great."

Diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2009
Medication: 20mg Methotrexate injection weekly
Supplements: Folic Acid|Vitamin D|B12|Iron Complex|Magnesium Complex|Calcium|
09-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Cooro

My Support Groups:
Isn't your GI talking of starting you on Remicade?
He is, this october 4th I start. But I still don't understand why I should continue these other two meds that aren't working for me.
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Maybe he thinks they might be helping some at least? And doesn't want you off everything before starting the new med?
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Cooro

My Support Groups:
He's gonna keep me on the two even when doing remicade.
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
He's probably concerned that there's a chance that the Remi won't work and he feels more secure leaving you on what you're already on for awhile until it looks like the Remi is working for you.
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Remicade takes up to 8 weeks to work, and you have to be on something til it kicks in, most doctors do that.
09-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Astra

My Support Groups:
Pentasa wont work if you have inflammation. It acts like an anti inflam, with aspirin properties, to prevent, and maintain. it's used primarily as a prophylactic. I've taken it for 5 years with success and remission. But had to step up with Pred when I had an infection with inflamm, this did the trick, now back on Pentasa as my maintenance med.
No good on it's own if there's inflamm. Needs a back up, so carry on taking it as your preventative med. This is why doc wants you to continue, as maintenance.
hope this makes sense?

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

09-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Cooro

My Support Groups:
Pentasa wont work if you have inflammation. It acts like an anti inflam, with aspirin properties, to prevent, and maintain. it's used primarily as a prophylactic. I've taken it for 5 years with success and remission. But had to step up with Pred when I had an infection with inflamm, this did the trick, now back on Pentasa as my maintenance med.
No good on it's own if there's inflamm. Needs a back up, so carry on taking it as your preventative med. This is why doc wants you to continue, as maintenance.
hope this makes sense?
Kind of weird then, cause my GI was acting like it should get rid of the inflammation, not prevent more. I need a new GI. lol

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Should I still be on these meds?