• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here.

I've been diagnosed for two years,spying on this page for the same two years, but was suffering with symptoms for a couple of years before that and became a member today.

The disease seems to like my ileocecal valve. Previous to my diagnosis I would get sever cramping in my stomach. I would make my self throw up everything in my stomach. My vegus nerve would stop trying to continue with digestion and forcing stuff through my inflamed ileocecal valve, the cramps would go away, I'd take the day off of eating and by morning I'd be great. This started to happen more frequently. Luckily my diagnosis was quick. I started with some Prednisone which knocked down the disease and have been maintaining with Pentasa ever since. I've tried to cut out as much processed food as I can and still live in America. In two years I've had symptoms exactly twice.

Today, I got the results of my annual colonoscopy. There is scaring in my ileocecal valve, where last year there was no sign of disease. The doctor wants to move me to Imuran even though I feel great. What can I expect with this drug? It is a more toxic drug and adds the possibility of new side effects. That's my story and where I'm at.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Fogs and :welcome:

It's good to see that you decided to officially join us, YAY!!! Sorry to hear about the colonoscopy result. In my daughters experience Imuran has kept her in remission since her surgery 4 years ago and she has not had side effects from it but it's only a low dose. There are others that have had issues so it's like all drugs, suits some and not so good for others.......................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=12599

There's loads of info and support here but you probably already know that! :lol: I look forward to seeing you around............welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Fog, welcome!! All the big gun drugs have a list of possible side effects a mile long!! Just remember, they'll monitor your blood closely when starting any new treatment. Best of luck to you!!

Hey Fogs, I've been on Imuran alot here and there and it's never given me noticeable side effects. I've read on here that prolonged use at high levels can damage peoples livers sometimes, but not beyond repair, from what I've read.

Compared to prednisone it's a very quiet medication. Welcome to the forum!

-Drew

Astra

Hi Fog
and welcome

Yes have to agree with Drew, compared to Pred, it's quiet!
but having said that, I was allergic to Aza, but you never know, it might be 'the one' for you, Pentasa on it's own will only work if there's no inflammation.
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx