• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long for drugs to take effect?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how long Prednisolonene and Budenoflak take to start taking effect.

I read it´s a very helpful drug, I am just coming to the end of my third week.

I started a low dose of pred 20mg and it started working within 3 days! It was a wonderful feeling to be almost normal again!!
I hope the meds start working for you soon

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Prednisone starts working for me within a few days as well.
Have you gotten any relief at all? Maybe it depends on what your symptoms are and what's causing them. What dosage are you on? I didn't get relief the one time my doc started me on 20 mg, and it's been 40 mg every other time.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Most times Prednisone works within 24 to 48 hours for me. I have always started on 40mg too. I am surprised your doctor has you on two types of steroid medications. The Prednisone alone should work. If you have narrowing or scarring or IBS they may not help you get rid of pain. What is your dosage now and what did you start at? OF Both?

I started 20 mg of prednisone for UC about a month ago. It took about 10 days to kick in, and now a month later, only partial relief... what gives??

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hiya: I have only partial relief from Pred, too. Going for c-scope on Thursday to see if the inflammation really is continuing or if something else like IBS has kicked in. Some people just don't respond to Prednisone, or not to the degree that other people do. Hopefully all of us will find something that helps soon -- whether it's Pred or something else. I will say that 50 mg got me out of some serious pain, though, although 30 mg didn't prevent the problem in the first place!