Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Prednisone & The Energizer Bunny

10-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
VintageAnn

Prednisone & The Energizer Bunny

So I got down to 10 mg. of prednisone and flared again. So doc had me go back up to 40 mg. until I see her on Tuesday. I don't know what she has up her sleeve.

When I was on Remicade I felt like I had a combo of Ebola, Swine Flu and the bird flu all at once. I had a constant infection of some sort too but no D. I change to Humira no more flu no more infection but the D is back. I'm a hamster on a wheel...

So yesterday I start my 40 mg. I take another 40 mg. this morning and I got more accomplished today than I have in a year. I bbq'd three kinds of chicken, made a pot of navy bean soup and a pot of pasta fagiola we have meals for weeks. Did I mention I love my food saver. I walked the dog, did laundry cleaned house, scheduled all my appointments for next week, went and had my hair done, put gas in the car and went grocery shopping. It's now 12:16 a.m. and here I am feeling like I need to go out and run a marathon.

Of course I don't run unless being chased and it depends on who's chasing me as to how fast I am running. My mind is racing and it's going to be a long night.

At about 10:00 p.m. my husband asked me a simple question and I was quite hateful to him for no reason. Afterwards I said, I am having a bad prednisone moment and I want to be mean and nasty so I think I will just go in the bedroom and watch some TV. I apologized profusely (he's been through this many times) and he looked relieved to see me heading to our bedroom.

Prednisone, the drug I love to hate.

P.S. I also got the laser pointer out and played with my 100 pound black lab all through the house.

Someone get me off this wheel!

Currently on Humira

Past treatments:

Asacol
Colazol
Pentasa
6-MP
Remicade
Cipro
Flagyl
And lots and lots of the devil drug PREDNISONE

"Don't let a disease define who you are"
10-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Rebecca85

Do you want to come to my house and do some housework and give your poor hubby a break?

Hope you get off the pred soon, are there any other drugs you haven't tried yet?

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
10-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
VintageAnn

I think I've tried about every thing out there. I'm really hoping that it's just taking time for the Humira to work.

I would love to come and do some housework. I've always wanted to come to England. And Nottingham sounds very noble and beautiful.

Thanks Rebecca for the support

I live in Clovis, California and someone once told me that Clovis sounds like an STD. LOL Not very nobel or beautiful sounding eh?
10-02-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I was on a prednisone high last weekend and made some homemade bread. I couldn't stop kneading it and killed it. It looked horrible, but tasted great. Very therapeutic!

I love the extra energy, but yeah, don't know what to do with it when it hits!
10-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Lucy

My Support Groups:
Ann I'm going to come eat at your house sounds yummy!! Lol I always said not to pred, but if it gives you that much energy sign me up. I could use that kind of energy. I'm sure your hubby understands the "nasty" moment. Husbands take a lot from us don't they. Hope you get some rest.
This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.
10-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Hey Ann, when I am on Prednisone I my house is spic and span.. too bad you had to resort back to it again. Both my Gp and Gi have said for me to avoid it because there are so many side effects and I have most of them except (knock on wood) bone thinning. Getting older is a risk in itself lol.

I too have exhausted every drug, now just winging it, hope you can get some relief soon.I hope you are on high mgs of Calcium and Vitamin D3!
10-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh, I miss the pred energy! When I was on pred, I had so much energy that I decided to clean out the spare bedroom, and I ended up taking 8 big boxes of junk to Goodwill. I wish I had that kind of energy naturally!
10-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hiya Ann

I love the speedy wizzy feelings on Pred! I have tons of energy too and am able to work efficiently at work, sleep is a bit haywire tho! I'm still wizzin, but the amitriptyline knocks me out! I've read many posts about moods with pred, it hasn't effected me in that way really. I've been quite calm lately!
But... I've decided that next time I have a flare, I gotta discuss something else, can't just keep taking pred all the time, I'm getting on now and I'm worried about osteo and bone death!
I need to work, can't do that with a zimmer!
stay well Ann
xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

10-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

I don't know whether to laugh (you wrote with such humour!) or to feel sorry for you -- so how about a bit of both. I also miss the Pred energy. Am down to 25 mg now and it just isn't the same. Am back to long afternoon naps and the dusting being put off until tomorrow.

I really hope that you can get off the Pred soon and stay off!!!!
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon
10-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
robbo87

My Support Groups:
Whilst pred is excellent for making me feel better i hate the side effects that come with it. When i was put on 40mg for the first time, the insomnia was unreal, i'd struggle to get 2 hours sleep a night. I'd be full of energy but also really angry and short with people aswell as it making me an emotional rollercoaster lol.

It can take a lot of small changes before you can come off it but i hope you can get to a point where you can cope without it soon because i know how horrible it can be!
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Of course my only experience has been through my son on pred. I'll say this, it was nice to see him feel so much better after he started it....but ten year old boys don't need that much extra energy!!! He couldn't find enough to occupy him that was constructive so he turned into a little terror for a while!!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
10-05-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
VintageAnn

So, day five of my prednisone induced tweakervsville fun fiesta. I feel like syble, remember that movie? I have alternating personalities between good witch Glenda and The Wicked Witch of the West. (I really so want one of those cool flying monkeys).

We were at Costco today and when we came outcome very large bird type species pooped all over the trunk of my nice clean black car. I looked at my husband and said, that poor bird has crohn's disease, look how runny that is! We had a moment of genuine lighthearted laughter over some bird poop. Can someone please analyze this to confirm how pitiful my life is!

I go see my GI in the morning. I really hope before then there is cure. If not a cure, a B-12 shot with with a good antispasmodic chaser will do.

Until then I am going to read my bible until I fall asleep. When you're on prednisone you dont have to follow the one year reading plan. You can do the entire bible between 40 and 30mg. I need a bumper sticker BEWARE CHRISTIAN ON STEROIDS.

Love you guys...

Ann
10-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
Lucy

My Support Groups:
Hi Ann,
I've never been on Pred, but sure could use that kind of energy. That bird knew you needed a good laugh today. Have you ever seen cars that people park under trees at the mall, etc.
I do hope you get to feeling better really soon.
Take care,
Lucy
:
10-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #14
Manimation

I always did enjoy waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7am... and eating like a horse.

Since I'm mostly emotionally detached, I'd be in the car with my girlfriend and would just nonchalantly update her on my emotional mood.

Huh... I feel pretty excited.

wow.. suddenly sad...

up.. theres that anxiousness..

aaaand a moment of calmness..

Oooh, now I'm excited aga-aaawe now im depressed...
10-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #15
VintageAnn

So I'm down to 20 mg. and feeling just ducky. My energizer batteries are now at the halfway point. My emotions are screwed up. One minute happy, one minute weepy, one minutes angry, one minute goofy. I have not done bodily harm to anyone and don't feel like pulling the wings off of butterflies so that a good sign.

The 6-MP makes me feel like I want to puke about 73.75 percent of the time and the roof of my mouth looks sun burned and my fingertips are chapped and cracking and my tongue is raw and sore and did I mention my back hurts really bad? BUT I don't have D so that makes everything alright right?

Happy times happy happy times.....
10-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #16
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I'm glad it hasn't screwed up your sense of humor Ann!! Good luck!!
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Lucy

My Support Groups:
Hi Ann, Sorry to hear about everything that's going on with you. Does the 6mp make you have all these side effects? I hope it's not the Humira. Take care and I hope you start feeling better really soon.
10-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
georgiegirl

My Support Groups:
Who knew I could laugh so much about bird poo or Christians on Steroids??? Honestly, you people crack me up - it's great to find we can still be so light-hearted about this awful disease!

I'm on 35mg of pred after starting on 50, and I swear, I could clean my entire house right now. And it's 2.30 am and I have a cleaning lady!!! But all this energy disappears so quick...even my dogs don't trust me when I ask them if they want to go for a walk, cause inevitably we end up coming home early cause I'm all out of juice. Maybe I should give the pred straight to them?
6-MP (150mg / day)
Tried:
Humira - worked for 6 months then just stopped
10-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
Lucy

My Support Groups:
cute pups what are their names?
10-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #20
georgiegirl

My Support Groups:
Was that message about the pups for me? If so, the white/tan one is Steffie the Staffie (not long after having her own pups) and Tazzie Devil. They keep me going - much better than a hot water bottle a night is having a nice warm dog lie across your belly!!
10-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
Lucy

My Support Groups:
georgiegirl yes that question was for you. cute names for your dogs.
10-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
VintageAnn

I have little shih tzu's and a big black lab. My lab I swear is smarter than I am and my shah tzu's well not so much. They were bred for being nothing more than a companion which they are very good at on their own terms. Oh and the are good at costing me money too. My little girl moo, she's a finicky eater, my little boy izzy has back issues. The lab, Cisco on the other hand he just love to slobber all ocher me any chance he gets and is totally low maintenance. I spend 75 bucks a month just to have the two little ones groomed to keep them from looking like walking dust mops. I am aslave to my dogs I admit it.

Georgiagirl, your dogs are adorable. And you're right they make great heating pads.

I am feeling pretty good today. I have been out shopping all day. Not for anything fun. Just regular stuff. Wait I did buy daffodils and tulips to plant. I just have to wait until it's not 95 degrees outdo to do it.

Thank you all for your support. It means so much and keeps me from flicking baby birds from their nests. (please no PETA mail, I've never really flicked)

Ann
10-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
rottengut91

My Support Groups:
Ann,
You are so entertaining.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Prednisone & The Energizer Bunny