Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Phsycologically influenced BM's?

10-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
uli

Phsycologically influenced BM's?

Hi,
Anybody recognizes that when being in public ( travelling, in the city etc.,etc.) the psycological stress of Crohn's could develop a tendency to manipulate yourself to feel the urge for a BM even though its not really happening ? Lately I have had these crazy mind induced feelings of "ohh my god no toilet......and i need to" and for no apparent reason because I didn't need to go ..... huh?!?

For the record : I'm in remission and on Remicade since may 2010 and nothing else.
10-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Rebecca85

I have had this on occasion but the other way round. I really dislike going to the toilet anywhere other than home (as a kid I once held it for a week whilst on holiday), so sometimes the relief of getting home causes me to think I need to go. And sometimes it does cause me to go, so I get to the toilet sharpish just in case!

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
10-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Tinkerbell

My Support Groups:
Hi,
Anybody recognizes that when being in public ( travelling, in the city etc.,etc.) the psycological stress of Crohn's could develop a tendency to manipulate yourself to feel the urge for a BM even though its not really happening ? Lately I have had these crazy mind induced feelings of "ohh my god no toilet......and i need to" and for no apparent reason because I didn't need to go ..... huh?!?

For the record : I'm in remission and on Remicade since may 2010 and nothing else.
I have this......I set off to work in the car and then I will get about 10 mins into my 40 min journey and think I need the toilet. I am not bad when I am inremission, however I am in a flare at the moment and had to turn round and drive back home last week as I thought I was so desparate to go, now that has worried me and I am worried about my journey to work tomorrow.

I felt stupid about it up until now as I no it is not just me!!! fingers crossed I make it to work tomorrow!

10-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I think its similar to your sense of smell making you need to go. Whenever I smell coffee or cigarettes, I need to go and quite often if I think about or am about to do one or the other, I need to go even without smelling it.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
10-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Rebecca85

Crabby- both caffeine and nicotine stimulate the bowels, so that is probably classical conditioning- coffee and cigarettes have made you go so often in the past that smelling them or preparing to have one triggers the same response. Like Pavlov's dogs, who salivated everytime they heard the dinner bell ring.
10-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
uli

Thx for the posts, I'm obviously not going crazy after all....!
Working on the mind thing.......
10-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
effdee

It's actually the exact opposite for me. When I'm out and about my mind just stays occupied (I usually overthink things, but not thise one for some reason). I've also noticed when I'm out I tend to go less often, maybe because it doesn't cross my mind.
10-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Lucy

My Support Groups:
I have convinced myself that if I don't go home after eating out it will be a really bad "D" thing. Even if I eat carefully I get scared that it will just run right thru me. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. My mind just says go home, go home. Lol
This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Phsycologically influenced BM's?