Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Moon Face and Prednisone!

10-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
Moon Face and Prednisone!

I am about to go crazy with this prednisone and my fatty face, will my face just keep getting bigger and bigger? I go to see my GI on Friday and he is sussoped to taper my prednisone and start me on 6MP...

Another question, coming off prednisone does anyone know how hard to will be to adjust to the 6MP? I havent heard to much about the 6MP/side effects/etc. Sorry if this makes no since, I just want my face back to normal and get rid of these horrible pred side effects.
Hopefully better luck on the 6MP...

Thanks for anyone that can help
Medications:
Remicade
Lexapro 30mg daily
Klonopin 1mg 2xday
Trazodone 150mg nightly
Lomotil(only as needed)

Tried & Retired:
Humira,Buspar,Effexor XR,Ambien,Prednisone(devil)

"Sometimes I think my life would make a great TV movie. It even has the part where they say,
"Stand by. We are experiencing temporary difficulties."
10-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I've currently got a bad case of moon facies.. I think I scare my dogs even--they are too frightened to howl. Hahaha!! I have the same questions you do..
10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I've currently got a bad case of moon facies.. I think I scare my dogs even--they are too frightened to howl. Hahaha!! I have the same questions you do..
I feel the same way! Ah! We are in the same boat. Stinks so bad! I hate my fat face
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
rottengut91

My Support Groups:
I also get moonface, along with what I call turtle feet. My legs and feet swell, sometimes they feel so tight they hurt. I hate Prednisone.
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I also get moonface, along with what I call turtle feet. My legs and feet swell, sometimes they feel so tight they hurt. I hate Prednisone.
Yeah my rings don't fit no more either, sucks! I swear i can't wait to get this tapering started on Friday. Sorry your going through the bad sides of pred as well Are you going to taper? How much do you take a day? Im on 20mg in the am and 20mg in the afternoon.
10-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I didn't mean to click that goofy keep on topic man with the sign. Sorry... im still new at this posting stuff. Lol.
10-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hiya Elise

I'm on 20mg of Pred now, tapered from 40mg. This is my second go on this med. I was mortified first time round too!
Once I stopped, the moonface completely went away!
You're like Shannon, you're both splitting your doses? Never heard of this, we've always taken it all first thing in the morning after breakfast, to ward off insomnia?
Hang on in there hun!
xxxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

10-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I'm tapering the prednisone, currently at 15 mg in the morning and 10 mg in the afternoon, and started azathioprine two days ago. Glad to know the fat face will go away when the prednisone is gone.
10-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

What gets me about the moon face is that some days the swelling is uneven. When I smile, half my lips seem to go in one direction and half in the other!!!!

Other days it's less...grotesque.
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon
10-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
nicola502

I have been the same! I have not long come of pred and I currently have no neck! Luckily my feet have stopped swelling up so hopefully I will get my neck back soon!!

Diagnosed Crohns March 2010
Meds - Pentesa & 6-mp
Calcium
Vit D

10-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
rottengut91

My Support Groups:
Are you going to taper? How much do you take a day? Im on 20mg in the am and 20mg in the afternoon.
I'm not currently on any meds...have been on Prednisone many times in the past. Just had colonoscopy, Crohn's active in rectum and at anastomosis (previous site of resections). Doc wants to do small bowel series with barium to get idea of extent of narrowing before starting meds, in case I need surgery. He knows I despise Pred., gearing towards Remicade. He says Remi will help heal my fistula as well. Can't wait to kiss that thing good-bye.
10-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
Hiya Elise

I'm on 20mg of Pred now, tapered from 40mg. This is my second go on this med. I was mortified first time round too!
Once I stopped, the moonface completely went away!
You're like Shannon, you're both splitting your doses? Never heard of this, we've always taken it all first thing in the morning after breakfast, to ward off insomnia?
Hang on in there hun!
xxxx
My GI says that i split it up because i will start having pains in the afternoon/ evening time. Im afraid if I take it all at once by the evening time i will be twitching and having horrible pains in my knees and legs. I see my doc on Friday so I am going to see how much he tapers me and then i think he is putting me on the 6MP... so well see... i take Ambien toto sleep at night though.
10-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
What gets me about the moon face is that some days the swelling is uneven. When I smile, half my lips seem to go in one direction and half in the other!!!!

Other days it's less...grotesque.
I haven't experienced this yet... maybe i should look more into the mirror... lol. But, at least were not alone with this moon face thing!
10-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I'm not currently on any meds...have been on Prednisone many times in the past. Just had colonoscopy, Crohn's active in rectum and at anastomosis (previous site of resections). Doc wants to do small bowel series with barium to get idea of extent of narrowing before starting meds, in case I need surgery. He knows I despise Pred., gearing towards Remicade. He says Remi will help heal my fistula as well. Can't wait to kiss that thing good-bye.
See i have heard about the Remicade but not to much... i just know i hate the pred, you should be glad you don't have toto experience this devil! It stinks! Good luck to you on starting your new meds though :-)
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Hi Elise, EJ came off pred and went straight to 6mp back in Feb. this year. He has had no problems with it. He takes it right before bed with a big glass of water. He is on 50mg dose. He also takes 3X800 mg/day asacol. We were told at our last GI appt that he could stop the Asacol but after trying to, EJ started having problems within a few days so we put him back on it as well. I hope the 6mp works for you!!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
10-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
Hi Elise, EJ came off pred and went straight to 6mp back in Feb. this year. He has had no problems with it. He takes it right before bed with a big glass of water. He is on 50mg dose. He also takes 3X800 mg/day asacol. We were told last GI appt that he could stop the Asacol but after trying to, EJ started having problems within a few days so we put him back on it as well. I hope the 6mp works for you!!
Thank you Mark! I hope I have the good luck that EJ had with coming off of pred. What exactly is the 6MP? Anything close to the side effects of pred? I hope not... I need to get my GI to explain it more to me on Friday.

Thanks for the reply!
10-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I've been on pred for almost 2 years straight. I had moonface bad just after the diagnosis, however I am lucky enough to be male and was able to grow a big bushy beard to hide my fat face.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

10-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Elise, here's the Wiki article for 6mp. You get redirected to Azathioprine because they are the same drug with a different method for being metabolized in the body(I think)...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/6-mp

Always remember, when you start a new drug, you will be given regular blood tests to make sure it is working properly. I'm assuming you had the test (prometheus or something like that) to determine your bodies ability to metabolize 6mp.
10-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #19
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I've been on pred for almost 2 years straight. I had moonface bad just after the diagnosis, however I am lucky enough to be male and was able to grow a big bushy beard to hide my fat face.
Too bad i can't grow a beard! Haha. If only i was a man :-)
10-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
Elise, here's the Wiki article for 6mp. You get redirected to Azathioprine because they are the same drug with a different method for being metabolized in the body(I think)...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/6-mp

Always remember, when you start a new drug, you will be given regular blood tests to make sure it is working properly. I'm assuming you had the test (prometheus or something like that) to determine your bodies ability to metabolize 6mp.
Yes, they have run all the correct blood work for the meds, the doctor is real strict on all that. Im sure Friday he will make me go back to the lab and do more work. Thanks for the 6MP link, Im heading to check that out now.
10-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
Too bad i can't grow a beard! Haha. If only i was a man :-)
And with an attitude like that you never will.
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
And with an attitude like that you never will.
What's that mean? Hmm... i think i may be a little to blonde.
10-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
it's one of those things parent/coaches/teachers say to a kid.

Kid - I can't do "x", it's too hard.
Coach/teacher/parent - well not with that attitude you won't.

It's that garbage that that adults feed kids about how with a positive mental attitude they can do anything.
10-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
It's that garbage that that adults feed kids about how with a positive mental attitude they can do anything.

Like the doctors who tell us "this will fix you right up." Hahaha!
10-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
it's one of those things parent/coaches/teachers say to a kid.

Kid - I can't do "x", it's too hard.
Coach/teacher/parent - well not with that attitude you won't.

Oh ok, so something I would say to my kids. Hmm... lol.

10-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
Like the doctors who tell us "this will fix you right up." Hahaha!
Yeah those! Haha
10-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #27
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
My husband is on maintenance prednisone for asthma/COPD. He shaved his beard off a while back and was shocked at his (sweet) moon face.

He went back to the beard. He suggested that I do the same. Hahahaha!!
10-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #28
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I've not trimmed my beard since the beginning of June, That's when they started upping my pred. I went from 5mg to 20mg, and then up to 50mg. I'm back down to 20mg, I see my GI in about 20 minutes, and hopefully I can drop it back down. But I should really get going if I want to be there on time.
10-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #29
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I've not trimmed my beard since the beginning of June, That's when they started upping my pred. I went from 5mg to 20mg, and then up to 50mg. I'm back down to 20mg, I see my GI in about 20 minutes, and hopefully I can drop it back down. But I should really get going if I want to be there on time.
Good luck and update us when you return! Don't be late
10-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #30
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
The appointment went exactly as I thought it would. We're slowly tapering my pred to 10mg. And he's having a surgeon contact me so that they can yank my colon sometime next year.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Moon Face and Prednisone!