• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here...chronicling my saga of suck.

Hi all, I’m Rhonda, 37, live in Colorado, married, 3 kids, work at home as a med transcriptionist – which is the best job ever for someone with this condition! I was diagnosed with UC eight years ago when I was pregnant with my son. What a horrible pregnancy that was. I was so sick, and my OB thought it was hemorrhoids or something. No one listened to my claim that I was going to the bathroom 60+ times a day, often times just to expel blood. On a Friday I was emergently referred to a gastro, but that weekend I had my baby three weeks early. He was fine – thank God. Right after he was born I was started on lots of meds. Can’t remember them all or proper spellings, but high doses of prednisone, Asacol, Pentasa, Rowasa all rotated around. Lots of them had some form of ‘ass’ in the name which I still find ironically funny. Proof that some scientists must have a silly sense of humor. I went into remission and we all hoped it was a pregnancy thing.

I wanted another baby (had to try for my girl!). The GI thought it would be fine to go for it since I was doing so well. About as soon as the pregnancy test came back positive I started to flare up again. I ended up getting very, very ill. It was hard because I was pregnant and my GI was unsure about meds. Finally in the hospital my mom pulled the mother scene from Terms of Endearment :p and my OB raised holy Hell. I ended up with a central line, morphine drip, tube feedings and every kind of medicine they could throw at me. One night I could not make it to the bathroom trying to lug all the IV’s and I made a mess on the floor. I was mortified and just sat on the bed crying while the nurses cleaned it up. It was one of the worst moments of my life. They started me on Remicade and it was a miracle drug for me. I started improving within days. I still don’t understand why they didn’t just do that at the beginning. After five weeks of being in the hospital my baby girl was safely induced five weeks early. She was completely fine! It was a miracle. She has always been very mellow – we wonder if it was all the morphine she had inutero. :lol

So that was almost six years ago. We decided I would not have any more children. The docs thought it was just a pregnancy thing so I stopped the Remicade. I’ve been flaring off and on since then. It’s been flaring more and more lately. I can’t take prednisone anymore because I now have bone loss. I can’t take Remicade anymore because of the antibody worry. So I just started Humira last week. I’m scared about the Humira. I’ve had pneumonia and shingles which the docs think is largely due to my Imuran and the compromised immune system that causes. I really worry about the Humira compromising my immune system further. I am room mom to both of my younger kids so I’m around a lot of children and their germies, but I have to live my life, and doing those things bring me joy. So I am praying this is my answer. I’m day 5 after my loading doses. I was feeling awful after I started my doses, which worried me, but I’m doing better now. I don’t know if it’s really helping because I was already coming out of a bad flare-up on my own. So I don’t know if it’s the med or just me. Today is a bad day though.

One weird thing. When I was 18 I had horrible ulcerations in my mouth. Like a hundred. It was awful. I had no medical insurance and never had a diagnosis. This lasted on and off for about a year. Then I got pregnant and it went away! It would occasionally flare up when I was getting sick, but I have never had a severe recurrence. I am pretty convinced that whatever it was is related to what’s now going on ‘down there’. When I mention it to the doctors, they are just like… ‘huh…that is weird!’. Nice. I am extremely leery of surgery, because I believe if I remove the diseased part, it will just attack something else in my digestive tract, which is not indicative of UC from what I can gather. I think I am a hybrid of muckery. Lol

Well, this is really long. I don’t know if anyone will get through it. Ha. It’s the first time I have ever written down anything like this. I am sorry you all are going through this, but I can’t tell you what a weird/sad/wonderful feeling it is to know that there are others like me out there. God bless you all – I’m praying for a cure so that our future generations don’t have to ever deal with this kind of crap. Ha…crap… I made a funny.

Rhonda

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Rhonda, so glad you are here! I am surprised as most people who are pregnant see their symptoms disappear. I was always nauseated thru my pregnancy, and dx a few sort years later. Needless to say I told not to have any more children and that was fine by me. We have have simliar issues, some worse than others, but I am not a bleeder, yet my sister is. My brother has UC but is controlled if he stops drinking. Our family is very much in the IBD problems. I was on Humira, it worked for a few months and then it stopped working. We are all different with the disease and severity so we have to tweak with trial and error. Not fun, but here you will get alot of support.

You will fit in here nicely, yes you made a funny, and trust me we need that from time to time! Welcome aboard!

Hi,

Pen - I know, ususally pregancy is a good thing. I guess I have the opposite reaction. I tried taking the pill several months ago for regularity and it put me in the worst flare I've had for a long time. Hormones must play a part in all of this for me.

Angelac - what do you have? What did your doctors say about that?

Astra

Hi Rhonda
and welcome

Yeah you've been thro the wringer alright!
I had 2 fab pregnancies, the only time I was really well! I'm not on a biologic but I work with kids with ASD, not the most hygienic of little peeps at the best of times! Even tho Pred has supressed me, in terms of steering clear of chickenpox and measles, I haven't really become ill, or caught anything, and I believe people on Humira haven't really noticed becoming more ill, picking everyone's germs up!
Good luck with the Humira, hope it's 'the one'
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Rhonda and :welcome:

Good to see you here! First up I just gotta ask about your screen name - it doesn't refer to the mile high club does it?? :ylol2:

Here's a couple of threads you may interested in re: mouth ulcers..................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=12123&highlight=mouth+ulcers

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3191&highlight=mouth+ulcers

You've certainly had your fair share of trials and tribulations over the years and I hope the Humira works for you so you can have some relief. This is a fab place for support and info so I hope you stay around 'cause you will be a very welcome addition. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Denver, CO is the "mile high" city Dusty!!! Get your brain out of the gutter!!

Welcome Rhonda!!! I can't really add anything! Just want to wish you good luck with the Humira. There is a Humira club thread on here, I think it's in the Treatment section. Most of it is positive from the little I've seen of it!!

Here's the link: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500

Rhonda-- I really enjoyed your post. You're a funny woman. I am so sorry you have been through so much pain but I know what you mean... It's also nice to know others have been through it too! And how blessed you are to have 2 healthy kids!

I also have gotten mouth ulcers, I definitely think the two are related.

Hi Rhonda! I'm new here too. I appreciated reading your story. You're a very strong woman and funny, too! I would like to have kids in the next few years and although my symptoms are mild now, I do worry that they will flare up during pregnancy, like in your situation.
I also find it a relief to find an outlet of people who understand. Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

Thank you all so much! As far as the Mile High club....I'll never tell :p But I do live near the Mile High city!

I will definitly check out those mouth ulcer threads.

Pugmonster - I'm guessing you are a lover of the Best Dog Ever...Pugs? I had one for 15 years, Apollo. He was the best dog ever. Miss my Po.

Thank you all for your welcomes. You are all very sweet!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well at least you are an Eagles fan??? I just about died when a "dancing with the stars dancer, said who are the Eagles?She had the "Take it to the limit" song and they replaced with another :yfaint:... jeez I feel old :lol:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I am jealous!! We do get famous musicans here, me and the hubby saw Heart this summer, it was awesome! Tom Cochran is here on the 16th but not my style. I would love to see the Eagles, I think I pretty much have all their albums. Ya know Hotel California is my fave....;)

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Welcome Rhonda!.......my brother lives just outside of Denver.....and works in Denver...small world!

Lots of great people here, and some really good resources/information.....

Of course it's in reference to the best dog ever :) I have three... Doogal, Stella, and Skittles. But I'm sure Apollo was the best dog ever. I don't know what I'd do without a pug in my life.

Hi Rhonda and welcome. You have been thru so much. I've been on Humira for about 2 years without any problems. I hope it works for you. Give it time and you should start feeling better. Inject in the abdomen it hurts less than the thigh I think, but everyone is different. Check out the Humira thread you will find tons of info. Best of luck and let us know how your doing.