• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thanks for Reading

I’m 26 and have recently been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I don’t usually like to tell people that I’m a veterinary student but I feel that it helps explain how I got to this point. The curriculum in vet school is rigorous and stressful to say the least. I don’t blame that environment on my condition but it can complicate things but I also appreciate such a medical background as I feel that it has helped me cope and better understand things (or so I tell myself).

My symptoms are very mild (fresh blood in feces) but they began in May 2010 when my clinical year began at school. I ignored it and hoped it would go away…for three months. Finally, I had some downtime in my schedule and went to our campus health services. I had a rectal exam done and it made me laugh because it veterinary medicine there is a saying “There are only two reasons not to do a rectal exam on a patient (animal). 1) You don’t have a finger/arm, and 2) It doesn’t have a rectum”. So I guess I had it coming to me. From there I was referred to a gastroenterologist and they scheduled a colonoscopy for me, on the day before my best friend’s wedding. Surprisingly they had an answer for me the same day of the scope… they found areas of patchy inflammation in the colon and patchy erosive colitis in the cecum, hepatic/splenic flexure, and distal rectum. Short answer: I have inflammatory bowel disease. I was sideswiped and was not expecting that. Immediately they placed me on Lialda and Canasa. Other than a diagnosis and prescription, I had nothing else…no other information at all. I was terrified and still am. But I rushed on with my life… the wedding the next day and then my toughest clinical rotation immediately after for an entire month.

Recently, I’ve begun reading more about this disease process and have had additional discussions with my healthcare providers. I’ve tried to take control of my healthcare (as advised in some of the literature I’ve read and I’ve even forced appointments simply for discussion). Yesterday I had an upper GI follow through/Barium study with no additional lesions identified. (However it was noted that I also have mild esophageal dysmotility.) So far so good.

I know that I’m lucky enough that I don’t have severe clinical signs and I have a very supportive husband and family. I am still afraid of what may come. Every new thing that I experience with my GI system makes me curious as to its relevance to the disease. I also feel that this diagnosis may also explain other “normal” GI symptoms I’ve had throughout my life. My GI system is my primary stress organ- when I’m nervous I always have GI discomfort (sometimes mild, most of the time severe). I may be reaching, trying to connect all of this… but I think we all like answers.

Sorry so long, I really haven’t been able to talk to anyone who might understand, yet. Thanks for taking the time to read about me. I hope to learn more about you all with time.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome the forum :bigwave: glad you found us, and we do understand how you feel, and your pain. It is a scary disease, I have had it for many years but I do remember how scared I was when I first got diagnosed and no computers as such for information :eek:. Little was known and Entocort was the brand new drug out. It is good that you have a supportive family because it is something we all need and you can get support here as well.

Everyone is different with meds and severity of the disease but I have learned alot from this forum and new research and information comes up here very fast. Glad you are here and joined us. Ask away any questions, someone is bound to help you with their experiences. BTW there has to a story of your Avatar name Pugmonster? Cute. :hang:

Thanks so much. I really appreciate having an outlet to communicate about this and I hope to learn a lot from everyone here.

Pugmonster-- :) I consider myself a "mom" to three crazy little pugs. One of our many nicknames for them are the pugmonsters.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi pugmonster and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. It's good to hear that you are being so proactive and tackling this head on. I hope you stick around 'cause I would love to see you around the forums. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Pug, welcome!! My wife's a vet, which, as you know, is an md who isn't confined to one species :). Her dvm has certainly helped in dealing with our son's diagnosis!! She def. speaks the language. Obviously, from your post, you are well-versed in med. jargon yourself and will be your own best advocate I'm certain. Good luck and stick around!!

Where do you go to vet school??

Thanks for the support Dusty. At fist I wasn't very proactive...I didn't "have time to deal with this" and I hoped that if I ignored it more, it might go away or they may even realize that they had misdiagnosed it. But really, I knew better. They gave me the images from the scope and I couldn't ignore that.

Mark, thanks for your support and best of luck with your son. My own dad (although very supportive) is still in denial about my diagnosis. I go to NC State. Where did your wife go and what kind of medicine does she practice now? I hope she can relate when I say that I often get frustrated with human healthcare providers because we just do it so differently in vet med.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Waaaaaaarrrrrr EEEEEaaaaggglllleeeee!!!!!

She started a housecall service while the kids are young to give her the flexibility needed to be a mom taxi service. She does it all though...it's mostly small animal. She doesn't have the facilities for anything major so she refers surgeries. She still performs kitchen table(yuck) neuters!!

What type of practice do you hope to do?

Hey Pugmonster! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all of this during such a demanding part of your life. I hope the meds help you and you find all the information and support here that you desire.

BTW - funny that you are a vet student and love Pugs. More proof that they are THE best dog ever! ;-p One day I will get another one...my husband wants one yesterday. But I have too many things that shed and poo in my life right now. Some day though.....

Mark- That's awesome that your wife has a traveling practice and went to Auburn- they have always had an excellent progam. I'll be in a mixed animal practice in rural western NC. I like the challenge of having to make things work with limited resources, something I'm sure your wife knows a lot about from her line of work.

Rhonda- Thanks for your kind words. These little buggers do shed and poo a lot. But fortunately for us, they also fart a lot too :) (someone to blame it on every now and then...they really don't mind)

Astra

Hi Pugmonster
and welcome

My bro in law is a vet, he works sooooooooo hard! 7 years studying too! Mainly cows and sheep and horses, they live in the country!
glad you found us, you're no longer alone with this, we really empathise! So glad you're not gonna ignore it too, not a good idea! Take it from a Crohnie who's been there and done that!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, and welcome to the forum! Dogs that fart a lot and don't mind being blamed for some that aren't theirs? Gotta get me a couple of those. :)

welcome Pugmonster!

I also work in a vets! Also I am not actually a veterinarian ( unfortunately or i would be earning more than i do!) I'm sorry to hear you have developed this pain in the ass (literally!) disease! However you have come to the right place for advice and support! I also find one of the biggest challenges to deal with the question of what the future may hold. I hope you find some answers to your questions here.... x