• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated and Confused

I had a really bad flare up this weekend and was admitted to the hospital Monday night. I'm new to this area and this hospital and I was SO uncomfortable without my doctor (granted he did email me hourly to check on me from Florida). I made them send me home last night. However, they told me that my cat scan had shown "several areas of fistulas". Does anyone else have those? I've always been strictly "strictured" and it's scaring the bejeezus out of me. When they let me go home, my bp was down to 90/40 and my blood sugar was 200. This is the first time doctors have ever thrown around the words "diabetes" and "colon cancer" in front of me. I miss my doctor and I havent been able to sleep all night. Any advice?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there, welcome to the forum. So so sorry you are going through this and it sounds like you are alone. Being in a new city is hard enough but a new hospital is even harder. I do not have fistulas but there are many here who do and in the NC area who could help you. I am really not happy that the doctors through around Cancer as it is very rare so please until you get a diagnosis I would put that out of your mind. Without a colonscopy and biopsy then cannot assess such an idea. The sugar level I cant help you there but I do know my bp drops when I am ill. Please tell us more about you and your Crohns, no one should have to suffer physically or mentally, we are there for you. (( hugs)) glad you are here ok!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I hate going to new hospitals and seeing new doctors as well. They never have a clue as to what's wrong with you and all we can do is try to quickly recap everything we were told within the past 50,000 years. :/ It sucks I know. Pen is right that you shouldn't be worrying about the cancer comment at the moment without any biopsies to back up their "claims." I've never had a fistula but I've heard A LOT of people talk about having them on this forum and none of them have mentioned cancer along with them. Your blood sugar is a little high and you may or may not have diabetes. My mom was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and her blood sugar was 400 (they should have caught it sooner). If it is diabetes, it'll be ok. There are medications out there that help bring your blood sugar down which will also help you feel better and then you see a dietitian to talk about your carb and sugar intake (along with exercise). Basically if it is diabetes, you're going to be ok, its not the end of the world and you'll be catching it early. Having high blood sugar can make you lose energy, feel dizzy and lightheaded, give you aches and pains (especially in your neck) and even feel nauseous etc. For now, focus on getting better and staying strong. Even though its a new hospital, they are going to take care of you.

Please feel free to share your story in the "Your Story" section. :D

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Lil Kim!! As Crabby says, you'll get many more responses if you'll reintroduce yourself in the Your Story section. Good luck!!

maybe mods should just move the first posts to "your story" instead of greeting and telling people to re-post at "your story", or maybe it could be set up that you have to post a "your story" before you can post elsewhere on the board? Seems like every new person to the board gets directed there when they're obviously freaking out about their condition, and most people don't want to put a ton of attention on themselves with a "hi this is my story" post but are looking for specific info concerning their condition.

LilKim, I feel for you, and I'm sorry you've had such a rough weekend. Now go post in Your Story. lol!