• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Memory Loss Side-Effect?

C

crohns_student

I know this might sound strange but do any of you experience greater than normal memory loss as a side effect of the medication(s) you are taking?

I don't think so... But then again I make sure I take in all the nice happy brain nutrients I need so I can at least think somewhat well most of the time... Granted it would be nice to be back at full health so my brain and body would be in better shape...

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
When I was flaring real bad and newly diagnosed, I pretty much blanked for a couple months. When I take the steroids, I don't retain much. Yes, I think it does affect brain memory and retention as well as mood. Not sure if it is the meds, the pain, or both.

Shhhh! I've been blaming my 'memory loss' on Crohn's for years. :wink:

Now I find out it was real all the time!? :lol:

S

Skinsfan1229

I agree with GNC Crohns Man, taking the right vitamins can combat this. But I dont normally see it with my medication, except methotrexate, I've noticed that my memory has gotten worse since taking it, short term memory that is. But it taken my CRP inflammation levels which should be 0.0 to 0.5 and mine were 8.4 is what I REMEMBER, and 4 weeks, and 4 injections later it was 4.0, cut in half, thats worth a little memory loss to have HALF as much inflammation I think.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Memory loss was something I went through a bit, but I blamed it more on malabsorption and being anemic and low energy. But it could have been due to the prednisone or so many other factors (like just not really using my head for a few months).

R

ruthymg

And I just thought I was getting old lol My memory is terrible. I have friends who ask me if I remember things that happened years ago and sometimes I have no recollection. In everyday life I have to write things down or I will forget. Never thought it had anything to do with my meds, interesting.

Ruth

I think it may be a side affect of the 6-mp I am taking because I am have had memory loss since taking it and I know I am absorbing stuff correctly because I have nothing wrong with me at this time.

S

Sparrow

I've been on the pred almost 2 years now and I have bad memory alot, I even forget to take my meds at certain times:ybatty: Not sure what its from.

Y

yonif99

Oh, yes, my memory is horrible! And Im not on any steroids, just asacol, and prilosec. But everyone thinks Im nuts bc Im always writing notes in my phone and putting things on my phones calander. Ppl always tell me, I never met anyone who uses the phone calander!

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
The worst part of memory reduction is forgetting if you took the pills or not. I had to put pills in those daily keeper things and I would often have to count how many pills were left to see if I was on schedule. Now that I am off the meds, it's so much better.

I forget tons of things, to the point where it is becoming bothersome to me. I cant recall conversations I had just a day or two later..usually I can recall some of it after a while, but even then it still leaves a lot of blank memory.

Im sure these meds we all take have an effect on the brain in some way...

F

flying4frogs

Pain meds do it to me for sure... Codene is the worst....