• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Chris - new member

Hi there. I'm new to this forum so firstly just want to say hello to everyone.

Right my story:

Basically i was diagnosed with crohns disease a year ago. It's beginning to get me down big time. Due to my career (british army) its preventing me doing alot of stuff. i.e promotional courses. active deployments. The thing that gets me though, i can still do all the physical work, but due to some of the symptoms of the disease i am not allowed to do the things i joined for. its becoming quite tiresome for me, and its potentially going to get me medically discharged. I love my army career, and would do anything to get my full mobility back =(. I would love to wake up one day and it just be gone.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum. There are a few people on here who are in the army that have been discharged in the US, this disease is very complicated and it takes alot out of you, depending on your severity. I feel so sad that you can't continue what you are passionate about and not able to do it. We understand and hopefully a fellow army guy can come on here and support you! Many people here to support you and hope to see you around.

Heya, and cheers:) Ye it's all i ever wanted to do :( i must say out of all the places i've looked for help, i must say this is by far the best place i've found. i will be visiting here quite often now. so you will be seeing me around.

Have you had a look on The Army Rumour Service... seems like you'll be downgraded to P7 and eventually medically discharged, as you realise, unless you stay very lucky!

Good luck whatever happens. Are you on any meds?

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
That is great, there are so many here from the UK! I have been on another forum just before this one and it was not a good one because you couldnt mention nothing about fund raising, CCFC/CCFA sites and other charities, which to me isnt where I want to be, I want to have a cure someday and as much as I love this forum, I'd sooner be closer to a cure than just chatting. Ask away any questions some one is bound to help you. Glad you found us! ;)

crohns

aye beth im p7 atm. but im lieing to the doctors saying symptoms have gone etc. i gotta go another few months with 'no symptoms' and i can possibly be upgraded so im trying my best. as i say i can cope with my symptoms but sometimes it is hard wen u gotta do some stuff. especially if ur loosing blood lol. but i just griz it and get on. but ye would be alot better if there was a cure lol

Welcome Chris!

You have def come to the right place for info and support! My Crohn's also put a serious dent in my lifestyle/dreams but I didn't have an amazing carrer like urs. I was living in New Zealand when I was diagnosed and also tried to stick it out and pretend i was ok - but it came and bit me on the ass in the end! Now I am back in Blighty!

It must be really hard for you having such a passionate career as the military, I have alot of friends in the forces so I know how commited our boys are in the forces...but if it's going to cause you physical harm...you may have to accept things may have to change and you may need to forge a new path? It sucks though I know...please feel free to vent here! Your amongst friends who can relate more than most! x

yea i understand your points. if its going to hit me. i'd rather it hit me hard while i was doing something i enjoy, rather than putting life on hold and doing a job that i hated to be honest.
And if you enjoy your career it is an amazing job. few people i no have a job they enjoy.
is crohns why u had to come back?

Fair enough - you have to do whatever is going to be right for you in the end, just go careful! :) What is it you do in the army?

Unfortunately yes I had to come back due to crohns- It got really bad, peaking with months ( literally at one point it was 11 weeks solid!) in hospital and surgery and the end of my relationship. The healthcare there was amazing I have to say. But I had to be realistic as it got to the point when I couldn't work and I didn't have residency over there yet. Plus the lack of family support etc over there I had to come home. It all turned into a bit of a nightmare! lol! However - I still want to go back though so I haven't lost that dream... x

aww im very sorry to hear :( must be hard. Yeh never give up your dream, you will get back there one day x what was it you was doing out there if you dont mind me asking. And i work fixing weapon sites and electronics on equipment. i was in the process of transfering to the infantry though when i got diagnosed (what i always wanted to do). but yeh crohns put a stop to that :/ but hey, im trying my best to get there.

I have to say one thing I am (slowly) learning from people on this fab forum is that you can still achieve most things you want in life living with Crohns - but it may just take a while to get there! Often with alot of toilet breaks on the way!! :)

Yeh the whole situation sucked - entire meltdown of my life as I knew it if I'm honest! I worked at the equivalent of the RSPCA Best job I ever had despite the poor salary!! ha!x

aye things can be achieved, just as you say the toilet breaks are a pain :p lol. Thats awful :( must of taken a while to recover from.
Money doesnt matter when you got a job you love :) especially in a nice country:p

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum! You've raised a great point -- do something you love as long as you can -- although I hate to think of you suffering. Hang in there!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Chris and :welcome:

It's good to see you here. I'm so sorry to hear about the army. My daughter wanted to join the army when she finished university and only realised about a month ago that this wasn't going to happen. It was a bitter blow to her and I guess the only good thing was she found out now, in her first year, and not closer to her graduation.

This certainly is a great place for support and info and I have found it invaluable. I hope you stick around 'cause we would love to have you. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Astra

Hi Chris
and welcome

Aw what a shame this has happened, and something you love too! This might be me in a few years down the line! I work with kids with ASD, it's sooooooooo hard and challenging, and the Crohns is holding me back, I'm no longer dynamic! I'm knackered!
We're a fab bunch of loonies here! so stick around for some laughs and all the serious stuff too!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx