• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In alot of pain

Hey guys ive been flarein up pretty good and havent gotten to see my doc yet to get everything checked out. Is there anything over the counter that you guys could suggest to help untill my appt. ?:eek:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
What symptoms are you having? When I first flared up, they told me to take Imodium, which was a joke. It did nothing for me - but that's just me, maybe it would work for you if you're having d. The only OTC stuff I really take during a flare now is Tylenol, which is also pretty weak. If you're doing badly, you should think about going to the ER or urgent care - I've gone to urgent care in a flare before, and they gave me prescriptions for meds that helped quite a bit, like Lomotil (anti-diarrhea) and Zofran (anti-nausea). Good luck!

Im having swelling pain in the lower part of my gut and also in my lower intestine. I am also useing the bathroom constantly and really cant keep down food.

I don't have any suggestions for coping, but I would recommend that you call your clinic and ask if they can let you know if they have any cancellations to try to get in earlier. Or maybe make sure they are aware of how serious your flare is right now and see if they will be willing to schedule you earlier. I don't know if this is ER worthy (only you can determine that), but it wouldn't hurt to see an urgent care clinic either to see if there's anything they can do.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I agree with diesanduhr, you should think about going to urgent care if you're having d and vomiting - at the very least, you may be dehydrated and they could give you IV fluids and even IV meds for anti-nausea. If you're in a lot of pain and having d and vomiting, you may be obstructing and you should definitely get checked out if it continues. Good luck, keep us updated on how you're doing.

I find Buscopan Plus gives temporary relief but it's not a solution. You definitely need to get to the ER if you can't get to see your GI. Hope you feel better soon.

Costas

Buscopan saved my life a few times already, i'm currently living off the stuff. I take that and paracetamol. Thats the best I can do as far as advice goes.

I'm sorry that you are feeling so extremely shitty. Hang in there and please let us know whats happening!

Good luck!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I think I remember you didnt have insurance right? Anyways I have used Buscopan but found it weak, now I use Benytol and it is not by a prescription and it is alot stronger..go figure. That will help with cramping but if you are vomiting too you could be having a partial obstruction. A person on here told me to drink hot water as hot as you can and it helps get things moving and settle your gut. If you keep vomiting then I would go to ER, not something to be taken lightly. Most likely if you are having Diahreah you could have a bug too. Very hard to tell.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
bentyl is by a prescripton here in he us
Thanks Afman, this is why knowing what country you are in helps others alot. Funny Buscopan is weaker and the insurance covers it and by script only.

These are antispastmotic BTW , they do help cramping for some of us but not all. We have Tylenol #1 with codeine that is over the counter but you and not a script, that has saved my butt (pardon the pun) many times.:thumleft:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Really, we have extra strength but that does squat. Tylenol #1's are great when the reg tylenol isn't enough. See, all countries are different!

Im in Redding. I have been smoking pot but right now it isnt helping. On top of the fact im sick of smoking pot to help with my pain ( I dont like running around looking stoned all the time ). Right now im still in pain but not enough to go to the ER. I have been drinking alot of fluids to compisate for the loss ( FYI ) pedialyte is nasty lol. Taking Vicodin every once in awhile for pain.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I personally like Pedialyte - okay, the clear "unflavored" flavor is gross, but the fruit and mango flavors are really tasty, I think.

When are you able to get to your doctor? From your first post, it sounded like you've got an appointment but it's a ways off? Maybe you should give him/her a call, let them know you're in pain and doing badly and see if they've had any cancellations or if they can bump your appointment up sooner.

Nov 11th I called a few times but they said this is the soonest they could get me in. If it starts getting bad again off to the ER I go.

Man you are waaay up there Norcal. Hard to believe we're in the same state and 500 miles away. That's pretty much what I've decided on too. I have a GI appt on november 5th and if shit gets worse between now and then, I'm taking a casual stroll into the ER.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
This might not work if you're male (I'm a girl), but I have found that crying on the phone works wonders to get appointments bumped up sooner. When I scheduled my colonoscopy back in March, they told me the soonest they could fit me in was June. I was upset but thought there was nothing I could do. So I waited until April, but I was doing so badly and didn't know how I was going to make it another two months. So I called my GI's office in tears and asked if there was any way they could bump it up sooner because I was doing really badly. The receptionist I talked to was rather snotty, but when I spoke with the nurse, she was sympathetic and found an opening for me the following week. So it doesn't hurt to cry on the phone!