Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Colonoscopy results say I'm in remission

10-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
scifi-enthusiast

Colonoscopy results say I'm in remission

So the colonoscopy results say I'm in remission, but I still experience severe abdominal pains, arthritis, and bouts of the big D. My doctor said that the abdominal pains could be caused by adhesions (scar tissue) in the small bowel or the colon, since I had a hemicolectomy several years ago. They went ahead and did a small bowel X-ray after my colonoscopy. So now I get to see my doctor on the 26th to get the "What do we do next" talk.

One problem I have is that since my crohn's is in remission, that means that I now have bigger a chance of not winning my Disability case. Good thing I'm also filing for depression (which I am) in which case my psych evaluation is on the 28th.

My results for anyone that wants to take a gander:
Colonoscopy Results
Previous Meds: Pentasa (didn't work)
Currently on SSD & SSI
10-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Guest2

Are you working with an attorney? My husband just got awarded his benefits. Your Dr. did not give much info on that report. Is your Dr. supporting you going for disability?
Kim
10-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
scifi-enthusiast

I have an attorney and my GP (not my GI) is supporting me. He's already written a letter that I had my attorney forward to the SSA saying that he's treating me for Crohn's, Clinical Depression (since I was diagnosed in 2002), and erosive gastritis.
10-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Guest2

You should find a GI who supports the decision too. Are you seeing a shrink for the depression? If not, you should start. The Functionality Form is very important with SSD. I hope it all works out. I feel for you. Being sick AND having to fight the system. Hard battle.
10-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
scifi-enthusiast

The problem is money. I don't have any and can barely find enough to pay my regular doctor's visit co-pays. So paying for a visit for a psychiatrist is out of the question (especially since under my insurance first time visits cost $100). I tried getting a letter from my GI and his nurse said they don't do that; that I have to get my GP to do it. Could be a state thing, since different states have different policies for going about social security.
10-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Guest2

I understand the money thing. We put our house up for sale to prepare for the battle. Now Cobra is costing us $400.00 a month. I am no longer insured, but must keep Mike on for his meds.
Good luck. I hope it works for you and in a timely manner. I would still seek out a GI who supports you in the battle. Mike had 3 in 2 states that made him go out on disability. The more Dr.s who support, the better off you are.

Last edited by Guest2; 10-08-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: error
10-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
scifi-enthusiast

Well, when I see my GI on the 26th, I'll talk to him about it. And if he doesn't support it, I'll look for one that does.
10-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Being in remission is irrelevant when it comes to trying to get disability for any chronic condition.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
10-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Guest2

It should be, but the people who evaluate (private disability) cases consider that healed.

Last edited by Guest2; 10-08-2010 at 10:09 PM.
10-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Guest2

Crabby, I do not know if you read, but Mike has 4 debilitating Chronic Diseases, plus a fistula and a torn meniscus. Getting SSD was not the easiest of task, and we are constantly fighting LTD. I think people should be fully aware of the emotional and financial battle that it takes to win these cases. It is not as easy as applying and saying, "I am diagnosed, now give me a paycheck.". They will use anything and everything to deny claims. SSD has changed their policy to evaluation every 2 years. I do not think it is appropriate to sugar coat the emotional and financial struggles people have to go through fighting disability. We should be realistic.

Last edited by Guest2; 10-08-2010 at 10:26 PM.
10-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
scifi-enthusiast

It should be, but the people who evaluate (private disability) cases consider that healed.
Remission for us crohn's patients isn't like remission for a cancer patient. When a cancer patient goes into remission it usually takes years for the symptoms to come back. As where with Crohn's we could have another flare up within weeks of getting a remission status.

And I still have chronic pain. Hopefully, if I do have adhesions they're not so bad that I need surgery. But then if I do have to get surgery that's another reason for the SSD case worker to accept the reconsideration. So, I'm kinda torn between the good news, the bad news, and the promising news.
10-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Guest2

My husband has had Crohns for over 25 years, he is 46. I know all about it. I do not believe in remission I believe in temporary control.
Hon, I wish you the best of luck.
10-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I do not believe in remission I believe in temporary control.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the difference?

Dusty.
10-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #14
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Crabby, I do not know if you read, but Mike has 4 debilitating Chronic Diseases, plus a fistula and a torn meniscus. Getting SSD was not the easiest of task, and we are constantly fighting LTD. I think people should be fully aware of the emotional and financial battle that it takes to win these cases. It is not as easy as applying and saying, "I am diagnosed, now give me a paycheck.". They will use anything and everything to deny claims. SSD has changed their policy to evaluation every 2 years. I do not think it is appropriate to sugar coat the emotional and financial struggles people have to go through fighting disability. We should be realistic.
I'm on disability and am being realistic. Best course of action is to get legal help as it speeds up the process.
10-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
Guest2

No one talks about the fact that when you are awarded, you must purchase your own healthcare for the first 24 months. It takes that long before Medicare kicks in. COBRA is only contracted for 18 months. That leaves 6 months where one has to figure out where they are going to find medical coverage.

DustyKat, you are right, no difference. Just how I prefer to word it. Watching my husband sick all these years has made me despise the word "remission".

Last edited by Guest2; 10-09-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: more info
10-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
scifi-enthusiast

I don't know about your state but in the state of Texas the medical is handled by Medicaid, and it kicks in when your awarded (according to the SSA social workers).
10-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
Guest2

Medicare and medicaid are two different things. My husband does not qualify for medicaid.
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #18
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
Good luck with winning the case.
And on a side note that is a damn fine looking colon, I'm a little bit jealous, my last scope looked like a horror show.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

10-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #19
scifi-enthusiast

Thanks, but like I said I'm still experiencing severe pain. I can't be completely sure about the adhesions since the pain is in several different parts of my abdomen and not only at the resection site. Unless the healing of crohn's inflammation and ulcers can also cause adhesions.
10-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #20
lynx

wow....im just now going through the beginning process of getting health coverage as going the regular way ..they have denied me based on a pre existing condition...so...I wish you all the luck...and this looks like it will be a battle as hard or harder than just dealing with this horrible disease.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Colonoscopy results say I'm in remission