• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forums, but not to Crohn's

Hello, everyone. I'm not very good at introductions, but I'll give it a go anyway. I am 32 years old, married, with 2 young daughters ages 4 and 7. I'm a total science geek and I love explaining science to my kids and showing them how the world works by using simplified examples and toys for demonstrations. I'm an avid reader (mostly horror and sci-fi fantasy now) and video game player (mostly RPGs and action-adventures, though I am always up for a good FPS, too). That's a little about me that has nothing to do with Crohn's.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in the Spring of 2004, but my symptoms started at least a year before that (in hindsight I suspect a few other things that go back further, but it's just guesses). At the time, doctors thought it was my appendix and removed it. I spent the following 6 or 7 weeks recovering from the surgery and then went back to work. Everything seemed to go back to normal.

Flash forward about 9 months and I start feeling the same pain I had before. It didn't take long before the tolerable pain became totally intolerable and being in any kind of sitting position for any length of time made it MUCH worse. I tried to tough it out as long as I could but eventually ended up going on short-term disability. The doctors I saw took a real trial-and-error approach and nothing they prescribed seemed to help and their upbeat statements like "I have good news! It isn't IBS!" only served to frustrate and anger me more. I knew I was really sick and hearing what it wasn't was NOT encouraging to me. Finally, my moronic doctor said in a very care-free way (and even shrugged while he said it) that the pain I was feeling "just may never go away."

My doctor after that was incredibly awesome. I can't say enough good about him, really. With the first doctor I always felt like he didn't believe me, and with this new doctor it really felt like he was on my side and determined to figure out the problem. Under his care, a small bowel follow-through confirmed that I had Crohn's and it appeared to be worst in the ileum (right next to where the appendix was, not so surprisingly).

The summer after I was diagnosed, I moved to Calgary, Alberta and started studying astrophysics at the university there. I had the worst symptoms I'd had up to that point. I bled from mid-November to late February non-stop. Doctors there loaded me up with corticosteroids, but nothing helped. To make matters worse, my whole body ached and moving was a monumental effort. Every step hurt and doctors, thinking it was because of the steroids, dramatically cut BACK on them, making things much, MUCH worse! At one point the muscle weakness and pain became so bad that I actually found myself trapped in a bathroom because I couldn't squeeze the doorknob hard enough to turn it. The sheer RIDICULOUSNESS of the situation actually had me laughing hysterically while I was stuck. But despite all of this, I thankfully managed to do really well in my classes and I've had a high-and-low cycle ever since.

During the Summer months I usually (with a few minor exceptions) feel EXCELLENT, and then in the Fall I start to quickly degrade until I hit rock bottom in late December and start to feel half-decent again in late February or early March. I'm glad to have those high points in the Summer, but in a way it makes this time of year the hardest. I've felt good and now I can feel the disease creeping back in, taking over, and winning. And all the while I know it isn't some outside invader that I need to fight off to feel healthy again, but is in fact my own body waging war against itself. I am my own worst enemy.

At this time of year, Crohn's is like a dark, looming storm on the horizon; and while I know there will be better days ahead, I know I need to get through these bad ones first. And that's where I am now: feeling it set in and looking at another 5 or 6 months of bad days. But that's not the worst of it. The worst is knowing that it isn't just 5 or 6 months and then it's over, but knowing that it's going to happen again and again, and every year my "window of opportunity" where I feel good gets just a bit shorter and there is NO end to this cycle in sight. It's times like these that I try to turn my attention solely on my 2 daughters and not let my own feelings and illness spoil their childhood, because it's easy to start feeling like this cycle is a prison sentence and I don't want them misunderstanding and thinking that I feel THEY are my prison sentence.

Over the past years I've been on different drugs. Pentasa, Entocort, Prednisone, Imuran, to name a few. Most were just ineffective, and the others just made me ill (Imuran injections didn't seem to work and made me puke something fierce) or else they didn't work and effected my mood (when I took entocort I was told I might experience "mood swings". It was more like one mood swing and then it stayed there... It made me feel absolutely ENRAGED. ALL of the time. I like to say it turned me into the Incredible Hulk, and anyone who knew me when I was on it agrees). So now I am on nothing. Every year I've relied on doctors to try to help, it has only made things worse. As bad as the symptoms can be, it seems the medicine only makes things worse (I just end up with symptoms AND side effects, the worst of both worlds).

Anyway, that's it. That's my introduction. It's long. If you made it this far reading then I'm amazed. You deserve a reward of some kind, like a nice shiny apple, or a "I Listened To The Whole Rant" pin to stick on your jacket pocket so everyone who sees you will be instantly impressed. :p

Until next time...

Hi Deader, and :welcome:

I did read your whole post, and would love a nice shiny apple, but unfortunately if I had one, I'd be in the bathroom for hours!!!

I'm new here too, but it's definitely a good place to be. Lots of caring sharing people who know just what you're going through. I guess at least you can be happy that you have a bit of a respite during summer - more time to enjoy your daughters without worrying about pain.

Hope you find a med that helps you in the longer term though. News and research seems to be posted here pretty quick - hopefully those docs are getting close to finding a nice side effect free drug!:hang:

As your symptoms are worse in the winter, have you tried taking extra vitamin D? Also there could be an element of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Also Imuran injections? I am on aza (the generic form) and mine are pills. Are you sure you didn't get the name confused with sonething else?

Astra

Hi Deader
and welcome

I'm a bit confused too, Imuran injections?
I was also going to mention SAD too! There are excellent SSRIs out there to help with this disorder, my sister suffers from it every year, and extra Vitamin D would help too.
Glad you found us, lots of friends here for you, all paddling in the same boat!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Deaderalive! Hello fellow Canadian!. I read your post because it was alot my mine. My surgeon who did my exploratory sugery took out my appendix , because it was "micoscopically" leaking. Bull....but he had the audacity to tell my Gp and all her collegues and my Gi (who saw Crohns) that I was fine and any more problems that it was just all in my head!! A$$hole! Evenutally I went to a teaching doctor and knew right away! After many meds and 2 surgeries later, I can't stablize and waiting for Gi #5 and another surgeon.

I dont suffer more in the winters per se, but I flare all year round, although both of my surgeries were in the winter months. I now am on high Vitamin D3 and Calcium as well as B12 shots. Since you are up where it really doesnt have much sunshine in the winter months, as the others say you may need to be on high Vitamin D and calcium or you could have SAD, which is another condition that can be misdiagnosed.

I now have muscle weakness and it dont take much to lift anything or touch anything and my muscles and veins feel like a pulled muscle all the time. Thanks to Pred on and off. You are so welcomed here, many great people here to help and be of support.

Welcome aboard!

I LISTENED TO THE WHOLE RANT

(I decided to take you up on your offer of the badge! )
:ysmile:
Welcome!

You have definatley come to the right place! I am sorry to hear the nightmare you have been through, I hope you have more luck finding a drug that can help you soon. This is definatley the place to get as much info as possible from people who have been there!

I also have not heard of imuran injections? Is it something they do in the US and Canada? Have the doctors suggested maybe remicade in the future if no drugs are working for you? I really think a lot of people suffer from SAD, especially those with immune problems. I defintely feel worse in the winter months.

I hope you find some comfort here! You are among friends! :ybiggrin:

x

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. To answer some of your questions about Imuran, I could have sworn that's what it was called. I was on it for a few months, it definitely came as injections. They gave me pre-filled syringes of this stuff that was an orange-yellow color and looked like it would glow in the dark (it didn't, but it looked like it would). My healthcare providers were adamant about safety with it. I was trained on how to safely inject myself in the abdomen with a syringe and how to properly remove the nitrile gloves that I was required a wear so there was no danger of getting it on my bare hands. Apparently it was pretty toxic stuff, because they told me to make sure that not even a drop spilled on anything. I was even provided with a biohazard box to dispose of everything related to it. The box had to be handed in only to authorized biohazardous waste facilities to be properly disposed of. Up to now, I would have bet money on it being called "Imuran" but now you have me second-guessing myself. Still, I am about 98% sure that what they gave me was called Imuran.

As for SAD and vitamin D deficiency, I have definitely given it some thought and done research. I was taking 1000 IU per day of vitamin D in pill form for about a year. That was the one year that my winter symptoms were at least diminished. Unfortunately, my body started to reject it. Whether I took it with food or not, after I took the pill in the morning, within about 10 minutes I'd be in the bathroom puking until my stomach was absolutely, totally empty and then some. Around the same time I started having the same reaction when eating eggs, too. I thought it was just a coincidence at the time, but I've since discovered that a lot of vitamin D pills are processed (not sure how) from eggs. I went for at least 2 years without eating eggs; even just the smell of them cooking made me ill, and I LOVED eggs before that. Recently I noticed that eggs smelled GOOD to me again, so I tried one. I haven't gone overboard with them, but I seem to be able to eat them just fine now. And just a few days ago I discovered some vitamin D DROPS that are 1000 IU/drop and I have started to take those. In addition, since UV-B stimulates vitamin D production, I've ordered a UV-B lamp to see if it has any effect. I'll post an update on how those go and if I notice any difference.

I don't think that I have SAD, or if I do, then it's mild. I actually feel mentally better in the dead of winter when my symptoms are full-blown than I do in the autumn when my symptoms are just coming on. I think it's just the realization of bad days coming that hits me hard. Once it becomes a daily fact of life again I learn to cope with it.

I'm sorry if my post last night seemed like I have a defeatist attitude. In truth, I don't. The fact that my symptoms display such a cyclical tendency that seems to correlate directly to the seasons only serves to pique my interest. It's part of what made me join this group. I'm trying to understand the illness better and see if my own symptoms match up. In truth, many would probably still say I am in denial. I still question whether I have Crohn's or not, just because of how it cycles like this and because other auto-immune symptoms seem to switch wildly on and off. Regardless of whether it is Crohn's or not, I do believe it is (at the very least) closely related to it.

Pen: This is the first I've heard of B12 playing a part, but I will definitely look into it. How is it supposed to help?

And Bethany and Georgie: I never actually OFFERED the badge or the apple. I just said if you read the whole thing you DESERVE a badge. Now you're making me feel like that boss a few years back that offered his employee of the month a "toy Yoda". Heheh.

Nyx

I want a badge dammit.

That being said, I think there's something there in the vitamin D deficiency, since I assume that most of the winter in the NWT consists of months of night? I remember watching an episode of 'Northern Exposure' where everyone was investing in the SAD fluorescent lights worn like a visor...lol As funny as that is, it apparently works.

Where is your Crohn's located? And what's the severity of it?

By the way, Imuran does come in injection form... I was supposed to take it, but can't deal with needles so was given the oral application of it (it didn't work for me by the way)

I hope you find some answers...and welcome to the forum :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi DeaderAlive and :welcome:

Good to see you here! Well I can't add to the great advice you've already been given so I'll just say you've found a great place for support and info so please stay around 'cause we would love to have you here. You are right, Imuran does come in an injection. I do hope you can find relief from your symptoms. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the very best, :)
Dusty

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I want a badge dammit.

That being said, I think there's something there in the vitamin D deficiency, since I assume that most of the winter in the NWT consists of months of night? I remember watching an episode of 'Northern Exposure' where everyone was investing in the SAD fluorescent lights worn like a visor...lol As funny as that is, it apparently works.

Where is your Crohn's located? And what's the severity of it?

By the way, Imuran does come in injection form... I was supposed to take it, but can't deal with needles so was given the oral application of it (it didn't work for me by the way)

I hope you find some answers...and welcome to the forum :)
One badge coming up ....:award2:

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just couldn't resist.:ylol2:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi DA, welcome!! Yours is the first story I've read on here where your symptoms come and go at regular intervals!! That just seems odd!! I hope you can find a maintenance med that works for you and breaks that yearly cycle!! Good luck!!