• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Angelos Story!

Hey, my names Angelo (durr) Im almost 19 orginally from portugal but live in the UK :) , had chrons for a year and a half (still checking my spelling of that word).
After spending that year in and out of hospital and trying almost every option available, From starting on prednisolone then trying azaphiaprine (badbadspellingithink) to going on remicade and nothing helping my symptoms the last resort came 2 weeks ago i just had my first surgery (right hemicolectomy).

At the moment, im on just mesalazine and in no pain finnally and no symptons although my surgery was kinda major(had 3/4s of my colon removed), the only problem i was meant to have was that id have to be going to the toilet a lot more ofter, im only going once or twice.

Thats all ill share for now. (kinda late here)

But yes, Hi to everyone here :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hello Angelo and welcome!! Sorry you had to go the surgery route so soon but it sounds like it went well for you. Good luck and stick around!!

Hello Angelo and welcome!! Sorry you had to go the surgery route so soon but it sounds like it went well for you. Good luck and stick around!!
Ye im quite suprised as i read around here i seem to have had my surgery quite early on. But after every treatmeant failing and me getting worse and having a couple colonoscopy's they said a large part of my colon was getting blocked due to the inflamation and flare ups.

My surgery did go well, and i was out after 5 days, but the first night was hell as my epidural in my back was leaking so i had no pain relief other than some paracetamol.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Angelo and :welcome:

Good to have you here. There are loads of members here around your age so you will be a very welcome addition!

Sounds like the Crohns hit you hard and fast straight up. My daughter didn't get the opportunity to go the medication route, ended up being diagnosed in theatre and had a Right Hemicolectomy. She has been left with short bowel syndrome which is I guess what they assumed you would be left with but it's good to hear you haven't, YAY! That aside, Roo has had a very good outcome from surgery, she has been in remission since that time which is 4 years ago now. I hope you now have many, many years of being free of the grip of this disease. Stick around and browse the forums and any questions just fire away, I look forward to seeing you around. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Angelo! I too have had surgery , twice, but the first time I was great for 10 years then came the second. I know that surgery is a last resort, but having some reprieve if good! You should ask for pain meds, no reason to be in pain. The epidural never works for me so I got Morphine but wished I had the epidural work. Ask for Questran to help you stop the diahreah, it will slow down eventually, eating homemade applesauce helps and bananas! Glad you found your way here, hope to see you around!

Hi Angelo and :welcome:

Good to have you here. There are loads of members here around your age so you will be a very welcome addition!

Sounds like the Crohns hit you hard and fast straight up. My daughter didn't get the opportunity to go the medication route, ended up being diagnosed in theatre and had a Right Hemicolectomy. She has been left with short bowel syndrome which is I guess what they assumed you would be left with but it's good to hear you haven't, YAY! That aside, Roo has had a very good outcome from surgery, she has been in remission since that time which is 4 years ago now. I hope you now have many, many years of being free of the grip of this disease. Stick around and browse the forums and any questions just fire away, I look forward to seeing you around. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty
Thank you :)
Yes my Crohns was pretty scary at first, i had to go through quite a lot of blood transfusions, like every month. :/ But hey now thats all past hopefully as im feeling a lot better now. Yes lets hope so too. ;)

All the Best to you and your daughter too!

:welcome: Angelo! I too have had surgery , twice, but the first time I was great for 10 years then came the second. I know that surgery is a last resort, but having some reprieve if good! You should ask for pain meds, no reason to be in pain. The epidural never works for me so I got Morphine but wished I had the epidural work. Ask for Questran to help you stop the diahreah, it will slow down eventually, eating homemade applesauce helps and bananas! Glad you found your way here, hope to see you around!
Well, i dont think pain meds would have helped the first night anyway since i had been in quite a bit of pain for a while and my muscles were all stiff i could barely move, I told the nurses, and the doctor only came to give me IV Morphine with a background infusion and a button when i need more at about 5-6 am.

The first few days i was getting up to go to the toilet quite a lo but now i sometimes only go once in the morning or in the evening or both. But Yes bananas certainly helped :)

Thank you very much! :)

Last edited:

Astra

Hi Angelo
and welcome

Glad everything went well and you're on the road to recovery!
Stick with us and see you around Fellow Brit!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx