• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed for 17 years

Hi, my name is Christal and I have been diagnosed with crohns since I was 13. I have only had one really bad flare up that required surgery, had parts of my small, large, and colon taken out. Things have been doing really well for me since the surgery in 99. I have had flare ups, but nothing in comparison to that one.

I have taken everything under the sun, right now I am currently on Humara. The main problems that I have now is due to the surgery and scar tissue. Where my colon was re-sected, is starting to close up. There is only 10% of the area open. So I am currently getting colonoscopies once a year to have the are dilated and to check if it is getting worse.

I am also suffering from all of the things that comes along with crohns. I was diagnosed with Ankilosis Spondolytis last year and I think that bothers more than anything. My back, hips, neck and shoulders always bother me. I just started yoga because my rhemy told me that would help, I sit in the hot tub alot, and lay on a heating pad.

I am always tired and I catch every cold that comes near me. I feel like it is such a struggle to get myself out of the bed even if I have slept 12 hours. I feel like my husband does not understand. He is as healthy as an ox and never catches anything. We have a family business and I can't even stay home if I dont feel well. He believes that if you are not puking or you don't have a fever you need to get up and go. I get so frustrated because all I want to do is get some xtra rest.

Well, here is my story!

Christal

Astra

Hi Cristal
and welcome

Really hope the Humira is starting to work, you've been thro such a lot at such a young age! Some people just don't 'get it', and my ex husband was one of them! Hope you can sit down with him and outline all your symptoms on a daily basis and ask for his support, it's hard enough as it is without! OR just be totally defiant and say NO! I'm sick, I'm not working today! Just cos he can't 'see' symptoms, doesn't mean they're not there!
Glad you found us, we know what you're going thro, so you're no longer alone with this!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Cristal :bigwave: welcome! I have been dx'd a long time too, and have been through 2 surgeries and heading for a possible (down the road I hope) resection. I have been on all the meds, and nothing works. Scar tissue does build up over time and also it is not uncommon to have a spastic colon to add for misery. My ex's where not understanding either but I have my soulmate husband now and he does everything to get me help and understanding. I havent worked in 10 years, I miss it but cant get into a remission stage. What kind of business are you in?

You really need rest, and I would get your blood levels checked you could be low on something. Glad you are here, hope you join our community!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Cristal and :welcome:

Good to see you here! It must be very difficult to have a partner that isn't on board with you regarding your Crohns, I hope you can find a way for him to gain some insight into the daily struggles you face. Are you taking any supplements?

This is a fab place for support and info so please stay around 'cause we would love to have you here. Good luck with the Humira and welcome aboard!

Here is a link to the Humira Club................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6500

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Cristal, welcome!! Maybe you could get your husband to browse some of this forum. It might open his eyes!! I'm sure if you did a search at the top for the AS, you could find hundreds of similar stories to show him!! Good luck!!