• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

hiya fellow crohnie's... ive always bein browsing on this site mostly as a guest getting good bits of info and stuff...anyway got crohns in 2004 after coming back from crete...running up and down the plane on the way home goin to the toilet..went to hospital wen i got back doctor said it was a tropical virus hahaha if i only knew!!!! anyway 4 months later at work,same thing happened again went to hospital kept in for 2 weeks got test done and a lil while later i was offically diagnoised with crohns.. i've altogether spent 2 months in hospital over the years and many painfully weeks in my room also. i had to give up my job as a bricklayer which i was doin since i was 15, doing bits of painting when i get work(recession)went to college for a year in 09doin construction technology missed six weeks of dat to illness wat a waste ..this year was really tough hospitalised at the start of the year for a week again .. the flare never really cleared so put on enemas and salofalk.. split up wit my girlfriend of 3 and a half years who i have a lovely boy with.his name is ryan and he's 3 in janurary...he is the only thing keeping me alive cos i hate my life so much... the amount of nights i missed out on,weekends away being sick here and there, diet tiredness etc...i hope there is is a cure for this someday as it wud break my heart if my son got crohns...anyway enough depressing ye.. hope to chat to ye all soon good luk

Hi and welcome,
I feel your pain. I would love a normal life but would give it all up for a cure. I hate the thought of my kids (well actually my stepkids) having to go through this. It is great to meet you and I hope that you stick around.

Hi KC and welcome to the CF. I felt alot of what you are going through. I have 3 sons that were the biggest reason I am still fighting CD. I do have a beautiful wife that helped me through it also, but there were times that even they were almost not enough.
CD can take a real mental toll on you and than the idea of your kids getting it really pushes the limits of what you can handle. Just remember that if, God forbid, he should get it he will need your support and for that reason alone its worth fighting CD. Stress, depression and the feeling of giving up is a big part of this disease because of the meds, pain and the feelings of not having control of your life any more.
I have learned that I deal with it when its flared and I really live when I'm in remission. I do what I can when I can and enjoy life no matter what. I decide that if I ended it that it wasn't really me that was suffering but it would be my wife and boys that would suffer from then on.
I've dealt with CD for almost 25 yrs and I wouldn't want to think of what they would have went through if I hadn't been there.
Keep thinking of Ryan and what he would do if you were'nt around.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Kildare and :welcome:

Good to see you here and out of lurking! It's so lovely to hear you speak of your little boy and the love you have for him. I can tell from the way you speak that you will always be there for him no matter what. He will always be the most precious thing in you life so look after that. I don't have Crohns my daughter does and many a time I have felt just as you do about this disease but over time I have come to realise that as much as I wish my daughter didn't have it I have to admit that it has shaped her life in many positive ways too. I didn't think I would ever feel that way but I do and it still surprises me at times.

I hope you find that light at the end of the tunnel soon and just remember we are here with you every step of the way. Good luck!

:hang:

Dusty. :)

Welcome KC!! Do you have custody of Ryan? Hope all is well and improving!!
no dont have custody, but they only live down the road so she lets me have him everyday when in not working..have him on the weekends to, as u know yourselve crohnies dont have the busiest social life....

thanks for the comments guys they really cheered me up...

Astra

Hi Kildare
and welcome
are you in Ireland?

This disease is crap, there's no doubt about it! But we just keep on swimming!
We have to don't we, especially with little uns?
We're all here for you, when the going gets tough!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

ye im irish..live right beside dublin...its hard at times to keep swimming though when there's a lot of crap goin on in my personal life...sumtimes it feels life's just passing you by...you get envious of everyone else doing wat they like when they like... ld luv to be able to go for a few pints again and not have to worry bout the concequences the next day...anyway good luck