• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looked at my slides with the pathologist

I asked our labs pathologist to look at my crohn's slides with me today. She was very happy to and she showed me all manner of things. What I found most interesting was the thickening of the muscle wall. She showed me a normal section then a crohn's section. There was quite a difference. I was also shown ulcers, where there is no epithelial layer to hold blood back thus the bleeding. What amazed me the most was how narrow the intestine had become...I am surprised anything got through.

Wow thats awesome, I wish I could see what it would look like on a slide! Just the biologist in me. I've got a very tight bond with my microscope! lol

Microscopy is way cool. When I was at the Kresge Eye Institute I worked as an electron microscopist. The downside was killing the animals for the research, I quit.

Yes I totally understand what you mean. I'm studying zoology and we had to do a project where we had to catch and kill 100 insects and pin them to a board, out of 350 students. At the end of the day thats a lot of insects. I totally didn't want to do that project, but I guess it is for learning purposes.

That is so cool! I wish i could figure out how to do that.
My aunt is a electron microscopist, when i was young, I thought the her that was the crazy sounding thing ever.

It is cool. The prep is OK. You thin slice the specimen with either glass or diamond knives looking thru a microscope. The sections slide off into water and then are floated out fixed and placed in thew scope. If I wasn't careful I'd fry the specimen. I have a picture somewhere that I took and if I can find it I will post it.