• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad reaction to garlic

K

kissycole_1979

I ate some garlic bread with cheese tonight. Big mistake! I actually forgot that garlic was not the best thing to eat and it looked so good i just had to try it. I am so nauseous and my stomach is crampy. I feel sooo sick. I guess I learned my lesson. Is there anyone else here that can't eat garlic? I can even smell it still even though I took a bath, brushed my teeth, and washed the dishes and my hands. I know it is probably in my head but I swear the smell is still here. Yuck! Hopefully this nausea goes away soon.

Yeah. Whenever I eat something with garlic in it, I feel very sick afterwards with cramping in my abdomin, nausea and I burp garlic for days after that, and feeling absolutely terrible.... Actually just last night I ate something at a restaurant with garlic in it and i haven't slept all night becasue of the pain.

But garlic is supposed to be good for us, so what I have found out is if I crush the garlic very much and add just a little bit to food that it's not noticed, it causes no trouble. Another tip is to boil the garlic till it's extermely soft, then puree the garlic and the water in blender, and use the mixture carefully with foods like pasta sauce. Hope this helps....

K

kix66

Garlic itself may not be the problem it may be the combination of the garlic, butter, bread and cheese. Food combining can be a big problem that many of us never even think about. When you have a few extra minutes check the internet, i've found some info on what foods are ok to eat together and which are problems, I don't adhere to the rules, it's too hard some times, but I try.

P

picsiechick

So far I haven't pinpointed garlic as a trouble maker for me, but I haven't figured out yet all of the things that are! I've only just been diagnosed with Crohn's, but for as long as I can remember, eating onions caused me abdominal distress; and in the last two years it seems I can't eat ginger. Both are difficult to avoid - the one because almost all prepared and restaurant foods include onions; the other because I LOVE asian foods, chai tea and pumpkin pie!! (not usually all at the same time heehee)

I cook with garlic almost all of the time; and I feel symptoms almost all of the time. I suppose I'll have to try eliminating it at some point. *sigh* Oh, yes, and there are lots of times when I've used too much garlic and I can taste it and smell it for hours if not a day or more!

I hope you're feeling better by now!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

D

DannyB

Garlic should be okay I think. Butter I would of though would be worse to be honest but thats just a personal thought.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Different foods have different effects on each of us. I know that in the past garlic was a trouble maker for me also.

If you do eat garlic, ensure it is a small quantity when you do. If you get sick after that also then you know it likely is the garlic. I had a rather large portion of it once and paid the price for it. It as something for many of us is avoidable, so make the decision that you can best live with.

R

ruthymg

What a shame you don't seem to be able to eat garlic, its so tasty!! At least you know to avoid it now if it causes you this much trouble. I have no problems with garlic or onions.

Ruth

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

This is bizarre because before my1st op i couldnt dtand to eat or even smell garlic which was abit hard as my dad was a chief, but now i love it and cant get enough i dont understand it, hope you get back to tolerating it soon xx

K

kissycole_1979

Well, I feel a lot better today. I found out I could still smell it because it was emanating from the microwave. So I cleaned it and finally started to feel better. I told hubby if he decides to make it to do it when I am not home and use lots of air freshener he he. I am never eating garlic again. It very well could have been the butter too. Thanks all for your well wishes.

W

Wlmsports

I have not had most fruits or any vegetables in 9 years. I heard that they block you. I want to know if anyone else eats these things and what the reaction is. I also stay away from deep fried food, alcohol,spicy food, nuts and seeds. I eat Sushi a lot but only Rice, Crab and avacado, no seeweed no seeds. Works well for me. Please respond.

Yeah, I am lucky in that I can eat whatever I would like to eat and be fine for the most part except for popcorn which gives me problems if I eat more than a handfull.

I had a blockage 2 years ago after eating some lentils!!! So I eat no legumes at all now. I suggest you eat all the vegetables you can handle peeled and well cooked. The ones I eat often with no problems are carrots, zuchinni, green string beans, celery, and sometimes spinach. Sometimes also I can handle raw lettuce, but I try not to eat much.

As for fruits also go for ripe fruits and peel everything. The ones I can handle best are banana, pear, kiwi, avocado, melon. Also you can try canned fruit in natural juice.

Also take a multi vitamin to compensate all the nutrients you cook out of the food.

I avoid all seeds, nuts, fried and spicy food also.

You can also try reading the book "The new eating right for a bad gut" by James Scala. It was very helpful for me. Hope this helps

K

kissycole_1979

Cauliflower and broccoli are big no-nos for me. I can eat carrots and celery but no other veggies unless they are canned or cooked. I can eat bananas, a little bit of strawberries, and cantaloupe. i get heartburn if I eat strawberries everyday though. Oranges are another no-no. I get a sour stomach when I try to eat them.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Never had problems with garlic . . . however, if you try roasting garlic in olive oil with some seasoning, it is amazing, but you pay for it the next day in the r.room. Can't do that one anymore.

And I am the NO fruits and vege type. They just end up hurting me. Life is degrading into meat, breads and crackers, (at least I can eat that!), pastas, and eggs. I am sure this is not good for my cholesterol, but one has to actually eat something! Oh yes, I wouldn't be me without saying . . . and I cut out milk (*sigh* . . . *head/desk*).