Share Facebook

10-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Psyllium Husks

Well Roo is home for a few days and for the first time since her operation she had lunch with me while we were out. I thought okay what's changed (Roo has Short Bowel Syndrome), well she has been using natural psyllium husks as a way of bulking up her stool. She did try Metamucil a couple of years ago as suggested by her GI but it did not agree with her. Seems just the raw psyllium husks you buy in the health food section at the supermarket are just the ticket for her.

She just adds a pinch to coffee or if she is eating out ensures she has something with a sauce or gravy and sprinkles it on top.

Dusty.
10-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
saw them at the grocery store today...maybe I only noticed them b/c I read your post. How do they work?

Current meds: None

Past meds:
Asacol
Pentasa
Prednisone
Imuran
Cipro
Flagyl
10-28-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Since Roo has chronic diarrhoea from not being able to absorb bile salts and reabsorb some water back into her body, the psyllium husks take that fluid up making her stools more bulky.

When she tried Metamucil, primarily psyllium husk, a couple of years ago it caused her pain and cramping so I wonder if it had something to do with the additives that they use in the commercial product........(((shrug))).

I always find it a bit ironic that Metamucil is marketed at the eldery to keep them regular but unless you drink a lot a water it sets like cement your gut! Well not really that bad but you get the picture, it tends to constipate.

Dusty.
10-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
winemaker

Since Roo has chronic diarrhoea from not being able to absorb bile salts and reabsorb some water back into her body, the psyllium husks take that fluid up making her stools more bulky.

When she tried Metamucil, primarily psyllium husk, a couple of years ago it caused her pain and cramping so I wonder if it had something to do with the additives that they use in the commercial product........(((shrug))).

I always find it a bit ironic that Metamucil is marketed at the eldery to keep them regular but unless you drink a lot a water it sets like cement your gut! Well not really that bad but you get the picture, it tends to constipate.

Dusty.
That's really interesting.. I also had pains/cramping from Metamucil and never considered trying psyllium husks because of that.

Will definitely try psyllium husks now,

Thanks Dusty
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
Will it help the body absorb nutrients better?
10-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I see what your getting at but I guess any absorption issues would depend on the amount of inflammation or scarring you have. Whether slowing the elimination process down has a significant effect well I don't know. Certainly in Roo's case it would have no effect because she has had her terminal ileum removed.

Dusty.
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
DustyKat
Super Moderator

@ winemaker. Keep us posted, I would be interested to know how it goes for you. Good luck!!!

Dusty.
09-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Philfun

I have the same problem as Roo, having had 11 feet of colon/lower intestine removed many years ago. I am trying to bulk up my stool using Psyllium. Living in the Philippines, I cannot buy the husks, only the commercial product (which says no sweeteners or additives). Following their directions, I have been taking it with water soon after I get up in the morning. Horrible taste/texture. This is the 3rd day and though there has been a very minimal improvement in the bulk to date, (I know, it's still early), I had to sit up most of last night, not daring to go to sleep. This happens only very rarely with me.

I am also somewhat confused (at age 71, that's nothing new, lol), because the write-ups for psyllium on the various med sites, tout it as an aid to cure both diarrhea and constipation. I havn't had constipation this century, so thats the last thing I need.

Very interested in Roo's method of intake. From what you posted, she does not take it all in one daily dose but spreads it throughout the day by taking a "pinch' with various foods or drinks. Is this correct and does that work?

I'll push on with psyllium for at least a few more days and let you know the outcome.
09-23-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Philfun,

I read in one of your other posts that you are unable to obtain Questran in the Philippines, that is a shame because it may well be the drug of choice for you. I know it worked for Sarah but she found it too unpalatable and so refused to take it.

Sarah's resection isn't anywhere near as extensive as yours so I'm not sure what sort of results you will get. She doesn't just take it in the morning and the amount she takes has been a fair bit of trial and error but it is two pinches each time. My son has recently had surgery and his resection was quite conservative but I note he also is using psyllium...two pinches in a glass of orange juice. He seems to take it on a needs be basis. He may have one lot prior to going to school and then another lot if he is going out in the evening.

I must also mention that Sarah has moved to a Vegan diet and I think this may also be benefiting her. She also avoids all oils, whether they be used for cooking or on salads.

Experiment a little as I think the results wouldn't be a matter of time but rather hitting on the right amount if it is going to work.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
lifesover

My Support Groups:
I have been trying psyllium husks for about two weeks now, only one a day, I don't think it helps.

How many should we take a day?

No Colon = No drugs but loads of other stuff now though.
09-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Philfun

Just taken my psyllium on the 4th day. Only went to the bathroom three times yesterday. Slept all through last night and had no problems. Very promising. About to go on my daily walk, which I missed yesterday. (Keep to the same route which passes the houses of a couple of friends in case of an 'emergency'. lol). Will keep you updated.
09-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
Philfun

Hi Janny. Why should I go to a doctor? On this IBD matter I have done okay without going to a doctor for the last 20 years, just using common sense and the knowledge/experience of my own body. My experience with doctors in America has all been bad and all they have ever managed to do is to send me for tests and lighten my wallet. Most of the advice they gave me was bad, and based on the experience of other people, I am thankful I ignored most of it.
09-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Philfun,

Janny was a spammer so I have deleted the post.

Fab to hear that you had some positive results with the psyllium! I will be interested to see if it gives you some lasting results.

@lifesover - Did I read somewhere that you were using psyllium in capsule/tablet form? If so I don't have any experience or knowledge with how that goes absorbing bile salts. The psyllium husks my daughter uses are the natural type, they look a bit like a powdery substance.

Dusty. xxx
09-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Philfun

Hi Dusty,

Day 4 was good - only 3 trips to the bathroom (noon, 6pm & immediately prior to bed), and slept through the night again. Stool is firmer but still soft so at the moment it's very promising. (The main reason I want to firm up my stool, is so that I can sleep through the night without fear of leakage while I am totally relaxed. Since starting the psyllium 4 days ago, I have managed that for the last 2 consecutive nights, after one initial bad night.)

The psyllium I am taking is not in capsule form - it is a 5 gm packet of powder mixed into a cup of warm water. Today I started to mix in a little cranberry juice to improve the taste, but the texture is still horrible. It is sold here (Philippines) as "Fibro-Lium Psyllium Fiber" at about 20 cents (U.S.) per 5gm pack. It says on the pack that it is 100% Psyllium Husk imported from India, so maybe it is virtually the same husk that Roo buys. I take the full dose first thing in the morning. Later, I may experiment taking a "pinch" with food during the day, like Roo, but I want to see how this works for a month or so first.

Never thought, in my younger days, I'd be excited about having thicker sh-t. Lol.
09-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Ahahahaha, I bet you didn't!

It's so good to hear that things are well and truly in positive territory, long may it continue!

Dusty. xxx
01-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #16
Philfun

Just posted more on my Psyllium experience in a post entitled 'Surprise Healing'. I even had a new experience after using it for 3 months - constipation. Have experimented for the last 7 days by not taking it, and have had no detrimental effects. I will have no problems going back on it, if I need to - it has definitely improved my quality of life.
01-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #17
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update Phil!

So fab to hear that they have worked so well for you! YAY!

Dusty.
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I decided to try psyllium husk after seeing this and wanted to share my experience. I didn't want to deal with powders/drinks, so I got the pill form. Each pill is 500mg. They recommend 1-3 pills/day. I started taking 1 and within 2-3 days, I went from 7-8 BMs/day down to 3. It doesn't help firm things up, though. I did this for a week, then decided to up it to 2/day. This ended very badly for me. BMs increased to 8-10/day and I was bleeding heavily (a symptom that had gone away months ago).

I stopped taking it completely after making the connection to my increase and within 1-2 days was back to 7-8 BMs and no blood. I added it back a few days ago at 1/day and I'm down to 6 BMs/day. I'm starting Remicade tomorrow, so I won't really know if the psyllium husk helps any further.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
01-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Philfun

Hi Chrisnsteph. Sorry Psyllium didn't appear to work for you. I would have used the powder rather than the pills as I think the powder is absorbed into the body more easilly and pills may cause irritation. Good luck with the Remicade.
01-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #20
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Update:

Sarah is home at present so I asked how many times a day she was pooping and the consistency, nice ay?

Anyway, she usually only goes once a day, in the morning, and it is solid. If she has a big eating day she will go in the evening as well, and again it is solid.

Sounds good to me!

Dusty. xxx
02-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #21
HuniIceland

Hello, I started taking Psyllium Husk capsules a few months back but had the problem that I regurgitated them a few hours afterward.... very weird because it could happen up to 10 hours after I took them and they came up from the stomach to my mouth effortless and were covered in some weird slimy texture.

I suspected that my body was afraid or allergic to the husk or even the capsules themselves. I've tried searching for information on this and can't find a thing and the doctors here in Iceland are calling me an alien ....

I don't suspect that anyone here has ever heard a similar story?

Thanks
Huni
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Hi Huni,

Welcome to the forum. Have you ever tried psyllium in non-capsule form? I don't know what's available where you are, but in the U.S. you can buy it where bulk foods and health foods are sold. It might be worth a try.

I find I have trouble digesting the Welchol my doctor prescribed me. It works best if I take it at the beginning of a meal. Digesting the other food helps move it along I think. But it still sometimes gives me reflux.
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I decided to try psyllium husks (not capsules, the kind you mix into a glass of water) today. I was at the health food store to get some almond butter and I always go down the vitamin aisle in case there's anything I need. I saw psyllium in that aisle and remembered that Dusty is always saying how well her daughter is doing on it, so I decided to give it a try. I'm just going to start with one tablespoon in a glass of water once a day and see how that goes, maybe increase my psyllium intake if need be. Although I'm in remission, and not having d any longer, I'm still having some issues with frequency (I still go anywhere from 4 to 10+ times per day). I'm hoping psyllium can help in that regard. I'll post my progress. So far so good, I drank my first glass a few hours ago and no cramping or issues yet. The psyllium made my glass of water look like pond water, but it didn't really taste like anything so it's certainly something I can drink daily.
02-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #24
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I'll be interested to see how you get on Cat. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
02-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #25
Philfun

Psyllium powder achieved exactly that for me, within a few days. I started about 6 months ago and my daily visits to the bathroom went down to 1 and sometimes 0. I have found a good balance if I take a 5gm packet of the powder every third day, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I hate the texture but I flavor it with a bit of cranberry juice to mask the taste. Psyllium has certainly made my daily life easier.
02-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Philfun, that's great that it worked so quickly for you! I'm on day 2, just drank my glass of water with psyllium. I can't tell yet if it's working but I hope so. I do find that it helps me mentally to put it in an opaque glass, so that I can't easily see what I'm drinking. I had it in a clear glass yesterday and the look of my drink was just gross! I had it in an opaque glass today and I found myself drinking it quicker and easier with less "yuck" factor. A straw helps too. I might try adding a packet of Crystal Light to it next time to see if that makes it better too.
02-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
Philfun

Hi Cat-a-Tonic. Surprised you could drink your Psyllium through a straw. After mixing the 5 gm dosage that I take in a cup (5gm psyllium powder plus a small amount of warm water plus a roughly equal amount of Cranberry juice and stirring vigorously), the mixture is a little thick to drink thru a straw. I just open my throat and gulp it down, followed by a biscuit (just like a child taking medicine, lol). I hate the texture, especially if it clogs together a bit, but it is sure worth it. There are two brands sold here - C-Lium Fibre & Fibroleum - in 5gm sachets costing about 22 US cents per sachet. I much prefer the Fibroleum as it mixes better. Good luck for quick results.
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Okay, I'm learning quickly here. Today I learned that you can NOT mix psyllium into tea (or probably any hot beverage). The past two days I mixed the psyllium into a glass of water and drank it with a straw. The psyllium seems to settle to the bottom of the glass really fast so I continually stirred it with the straw. Today, I thought I'd try mixing it in to my chamomile tea. Bad idea! I had no straw to mix it with, so it all settled to the bottom of the mug and stayed there, and formed into this mass. I couldn't break it up! I ended up picking it out of my mug and throwing it away. From now on I'll just mix it into water with a straw as that seems to work best!

Oh, and I think it's definitely helping with my frequency issues. Yesterday I only poo'ed twice - today, so far, I haven't gone at all. That's a major difference! As long as it doesn't constipate me I'll be totally happy to continue on with psyllium (just not in tea).
02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Philfun, I can easily drink it through a straw. I wonder if there's different types of psyllium? The kind I got is the Whole Foods store brand (I don't have the container in front of me but it seemed pretty generic). I just mix one teaspoon into a glass of water, stir it well (and keep stirring as I drink it) and it's got the consistency of water. As I said in my other post, it did thicken up into a globby mass when I mixed it into hot tea, so maybe temperature matters?
02-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Sounds promising Cat!

I know Sarah mixes it in her coffee in the mornings but I think she has a swizzle stick, like the plastic stirring sticks you get at take away places, that she uses. Some does settle at the bottom but I guess she has the amount she uses down pat so that what does settle at the bottom doesn't matter.

Dusty. xxx