Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club!

11-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Astra

My Support Groups:
The Amitriptyline Club!

I have had excellent results with this med!
It has been a Godsend!
It has helped with headache, neck and shoulder pain, and joint pain,
I think it's helped with belly spasms too!
It knocks me out at bedtime, no getting up thro the night at all
But most of all, it keeps me calm! (even on Pred!)
Post your success stories here in the Ammy Trippy Club!
xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

11-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Babs1957

I'm on the Ammy Train!!! Was rx'd for fibro so it was nice to have when doc put me on entocort. 40mg a night...better than my sleep number bed!
11-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm currently on 25 mg of Amitriptyline. I was put on it because Entocort gave me chronic headaches. The Amitrip took care of the headaches and made me feel much better. And like Joan said, it helps put me to sleep at night. The only side effect I've experienced is some dizziness, but that only happens if I get up in the middle of the night. I enjoy Amitriptyline - it's been working well for me! I have a yearlong prescription so I get to be on it for a nice long time.
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
fairy

Hello

i had this given to me ages ago.

I was given 10mg and i passed out and cracked my head on the stair case so won't be trying this again.

Really glad it suiting you both though xx

Love Dawn xx
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
effdee

Just started it on Tuesday. 25mg at night for a week, then 50mg if everything is going well. So far, so good.

I'm hoping it can supplement/replace marijuana. They do similar things (helps with sleep, pain, appetite, constipating, calming in general) but I might be able to avoid the baggage that comes with smoking. I'm hoping to get a job soon when my symptoms get better, but if I have to get drug tested I won't pass.
11-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Fruitcake

I've just been given these by my doc to help with my insomia and arthritis pain at night, the first one made me feel hungover the next day though...have you had any bad side effects at all?

I only had a couple of hrs sleep sleep last night so might give them another try!

Lyndsey xx
And smiling works, I assure you
11-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hiya Lyndsey!
Long time, no see, hope you're ok?
I was still sedated the first morning yes, but I have no side effects at all now, I think it's fab!
Stick with it, I'm sleeping really deep and not getting up at all, I take it at 10pm and in a coma by half past!
xxxx
11-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
BLM

I love my ammy!! Though I dont take it regularly, when Im not sleeping or getting lots of headaches, I take one and sleep and feel great the next day. Though I have to take it early in the evening and get a long night sleep....which is kinda hard with one baby and a toddler~

Prednisone
Remicade
B-12 injections 2xmonth
Daily vitamin
60 mg Lansoprazle
Celexa

As Needed:
.25 Xanax
Percocete
Hysocycomine
Phenergan
Zofran
11-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
tpd320

My Support Groups:
Yes indeed. First time in a long time that I actually have got some solid sack time. Hard enough to sleep during the day as it is (graveyard shift). I popped my 50mg's the over day. Didn't crack an eye lid until 14 hours later. Has really helped with tummy orchestra also. My wife loves it. She says I am more mellow now as opposed to being uptight all the time.
09-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
David
Co-Founder

Free bump for Joan's club since Amitriptyline seems pretty interesting.
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Astra

My Support Groups:
Thanks David!
xxxx

Been nearly a year since I saw this thread! Thought it was in cyber space somewhere!
Coincidentally, this med has saved my sanity these past 2 weeks whilst I've been detoxing off the co-codamol.
The neurologist recommended it, the GP thinks it's a good un, and I'm still in love with it!
xxx
09-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm still on it and enjoying it too! I've noticed that it not only controlled the Entocort headaches (I'm no longer on Ento but still on Amitrip), it also prevents my migraines. I haven't had a single migraine in all the time that I've been on 25 mg of Amitriptyline. My GI bumped me up to 40 mg of Amitrip for a short time, and within a couple of weeks of that I had another migraine. Now I'm back to 25 mg and no more migraines!
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
scottmyster

yes i am on Amitriptyline too. and i got say it has been a God send. It helps with my stomach cramping, and it helps me sleep better in the night time when i go to sleep i don't wake up with stomach cramps anymore.

“The greatest gift that you can give yourself is a little bit of your own attention.” Anthony J. D' Angelo____________________

Dx Crohns 1990
Present medication
Asacol 2400mg and prednisone and buscopan and demerol for pain
Supplements
Omega -3 fish oils
Probotic supplements
B100complex vitamin

09-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Astra

My Support Groups:
Yay Scott and Cat!
It's an oldie but goodie!

I've defo not had any cramps, spasms or contractions since taking the Ammy Trip!
09-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
ekay03
My dog has hands!

Hi everybody, Today is my first day on Amitriptyline I took 50 mg last night and here are my findings thus far. Well I'll start by saying I tried nortriptyline in the 1990"s when I was first diagnosed and not only did it not work, it gave me terrible heartburn that nothing could get rid of, so I got off it real fast. I tried neurontin a few years back and that one also made me sick and lose my appetite completely, So I have been a little bit reluctant of trying another psych drug for pain, but the pain meds aren't helping enough with my back and leg pain from the osteopenia, so I agreed to try Amitriptyline.
This morning I woke up very sleepy and took a pain pill. About 5 hours later I noticed the time and realized my back wasn't hurting nearly as much as usual. It was 11 hours before the pain was bad enough that I needed another pain pill. That is almost twice as long as I can usually go! So I am quite impressed by the pain control, but I am having 2 side affects and I am hoping I can overcome them. The sleepiness is bad! I took a three hour nap this afternoon. I can't make that a habit!. The only other thing I have a problem w/ is it has increased my appetite. I don't want that!!!! I have lost 50 since last November and I don't want to gain any of it back.
I was hoping somebody could tell me if these symptoms will go away with time. I can learn to control my appetite (I guess) but I cant be tired all day everyday! any thoughts comments or advice are welcome
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712
09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
I found after a month on Ami the extra tiredness went away, and i even increased the dose without it coming back. I was on 10mg for a month, tiredness went before I had even bumped up to 20mg and never came back.

I was prescribed this is 2007 for "IBS". It worked pretty well for about 2 years but came off it a few months back since it became ineffective for me once I developed additional symptoms- joint pain and worsening gut problems. Still undiagnosed so probably wasn't the right med for me in the first place.
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I'm so glad it's working so well for you Joan! It didn't do much for me (prescribed for my migraines).
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Astra

My Support Groups:
Thanks Nic!

And ekay,
the side effects soon disappear. I've been on it a year now, and my appetite was just like the Pred munchies! Also quite tired during the day. GP told me to bear with it, they'll soon go.
But I'm only on 25mg tho!
Glad your back pain is feeling better, this med is the Dog's Doodahs!!
xxx
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I've started for my insomnia and I find it does not put me to sleep. When I eventually fall asleep I think it's a deeper sleep. But when I wake up I'm groggy and my legs are stiff because I don't move in the night.

i'm going to either ask for something else or just smoke more pot.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

09-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
ellipse22

Thanks starry for pointing me to this thread. I am on 10mf of Ammy and the side effects are killing me. It's been almost 3 weeks. I feel hungover, shaky, and super groggy. I will be going up to 25mg soon. I am also suppose to go back to work soon and I'm not sure I can function like this. I also have white bumps on the under side of my lips. Thoughts?
Abdmonial Pain/Bloating
Difficulty Eating
Weight Loss/Gain
Back Pain
Fatigue
B12 Deficient & Low Iron
Stabbing Pains - LRQ Pain
Groin Pain

Meds:
B12
09-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
ekay03
My dog has hands!

ellipe22 I know just how you feel. I am sooooo sleepy all the time, but for my back pain it works really good. How is your appetite? Mine is huge!!! Eating too much makes me have abdominal pain and the ammi doesn't seem to help my tummy at all. I am sticking w/ it for a little longer since people tell me that tiredness should go away soon. Ellipe22 how long have you been on the ammi now. I have onlt been one it one week. Good luck to you Ellipe22
09-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
ellipse22

ellipe22 I know just how you feel. I am sooooo sleepy all the time, but for my back pain it works really good. How is your appetite? Mine is huge!!! Eating too much makes me have abdominal pain and the ammi doesn't seem to help my tummy at all. I am sticking w/ it for a little longer since people tell me that tiredness should go away soon. Ellipe22 how long have you been on the ammi now. I have onlt been one it one week. Good luck to you Ellipe22
I have been on it for 2 weeks now. I do have a bigger appetite but just like you it causes pain. I still have the LRQ pain as well. I just know I cannot function at work with this med. I'll be asking the GI when I see him in 2 weeks!
09-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Miss Underestimated

I took this back in the 1970's as an antidepressant, and IIRC it takes about 2 weeks to level out. It made me sweat buckets!
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
I'm starting this med today, and hoping that it does wonders for me like it has a few others.
I will admit...I'm hoping that it doesn't cause more daytime fatigue...I will be a zombie if that is the case ! I have about zero energy as it is. Maybe it will have an opposite affect on me and help with the fatigue as well as the pain and migraines ??
I can dream right!
I'm starting with 10 mg for a month and then back to the GI to see what he/we think
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Tracy, it took me a day or two to adjust to Amitriptyline, and I was pretty exhausted until I did adjust, but after that I do think it helped my fatigue. Sleeping well and through the night will do wonders for fatigue! And yes, it seems to prevent my migraines - I hope it prevents yours too! It doesn't seem to have done anything for my guts, but being able to sleep and having less headaches is well worth it.

I'm on 25 mg and that's the dose I started at. I think you should adjust to 10 mg pretty easily.
02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
KWud

I joined the Amitriptyline Club two days ago. I'm taking 10mg before going to bed. I'm sleeping really well but want to sleep during the day too. I have absolutely no patience with my kids whatsoever I feel hungover most of the day. My family and I are hoping these side effects wear off soon.
It isn't really doing much for my crohns pain so far, does it take a while to work, or should this work immediately? Maybe the dosage is too low? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Paula
x

Current medication:
Pentasa 3 x 1000mg granules
Azathioprine 125mg
Amitriptyline 10mg
Omeprazole 20mg
Homeopathic Remedies (when needed)
Centrum Multivitamin
Udo's Super 8 Probiotics
Codeine (when needed)
Desloratadine & Doxepin (For urticaria when needed)

Previously taken:
Prednisolone
Budesonide
12-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm tentatively joining this club. Tentatively because I've only been on amitriptyline a few days so far. It was prescribed to help me sleep and relieve pain. It's worked well so far. It only started working when I went up to a relatively high dose (150 mg) which isn't what's typically prescribed for this purpose (higher doses are usually used when it's being taken as an anti-depressent), but a low dose did nothing so my doctor said to take more, as the sedative effect would kick in eventually. He also said I could go higher if needs be. Now I'm just hoping it keeps working, because I often find I become tolerant to medications.
12-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Got my third good night's sleep in a row.

I think I feel a little calmer also, though I'm not sure yet if that's from the Amitriptyline or not.
12-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #29
PVail

My Support Groups:
hi Astra.
Been on the Ami train now for good part of this year , has sorted out my sleep and controls the bad headaches. No real side effects apart from it leaves me knackered in the mornings after taking it . So cant take it when Im on shift .Definetly helps calm me down when thing goes wrong. Doesnt help with the LRQ pain though, possibly need to be on a higher dose .

Peter

DX March 2012 IBD - Inflammation of the Terminal Ileum with inflammed appendix
Asacol 800mg 4 x day
Amitriptyline 50mg
Omeprazole 20 mg when needed.
12-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I realise it's still early days but I am feeling so much better! I can finally sleep again. I had no idea how awful chronic sleep depravation could make you feel. I can concentrate during the day again.

I'm so glad my doctor gave me this. Perhaps they really do know what they're doing when they went for this rather than addictive sleep aids. I'm not needing anything else to help me sleep now, and I'm sleeping hours longer and hardly waking up in the night at all. No side effects either, except dry mouth the first day and even that's gone away. I hope it continues working this well.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club!