Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Diatomaceous earth for Crohn's


11-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
CrohnsSux
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Diatomaceous earth for Crohn's

I hope you all don't mind me joining up and asking all these questions but I've been reading this forum for awhile and you all know so much! This should be the last question for awhile and hopefully I can start giving back to the forum soon Anyway, has anyone tried ingesting Diatomaceous earth for their Crohn's Disease? I've read that it can kill parasites and other buggies and that some people ingest it for all kinds of ailments. I must admit, I'm pretty desperate at this point so feel free to tell me to stop being dumb
11-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Guest
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
hi CrohnsSux

umm.. i have to admit i've never heard of diatomaceous earth, and looked it up on Wiki just now - i'm amazed to think people actually ingest this stuff!!? it's a form of fossilised algae, & the uses mentioned are mainly industrial... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
11-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!
 
My Butt Hurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Hi CrohnsSux,
Welcome to the forum. We never mind questions, so don't you worry about that.
How are your symptoms right now? What are you doing to manage your Crohn's? Have you been on any meds yet? I would tend to try something proven possibly before trying something like that, but that's just my opinion. Crohn's isn't a parasite, I don't think.
Maybe if we know what you've tried already and what your symptoms are we could suggest some other things to try. Are you seeing a GI doctor?
11-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito
 
vonfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

My Support Groups:
Do not eat Diatomaceous earth.
It doesn't kill bugs by poisoning them. It kills them by scratching the hell out of their shells and and insides when then clean themselves off. So their death is either by dehydration or by having their insides destroyed.
The whole point of it is to scratch things up that is the last thing you want going through your system.
__________________
"Peer review or it never happened" - Oscar Wilde
Jason's colon
10/14/1980 - 06/21/2011
Goodnight Sweet Prince

11-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
outlier
Senior Member
 
outlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, New York

My Support Groups:
Do you actually have any parasites or intensenal bugs? If you do using a specific treatment for the ones you have is much more effective.
Also I thought for illness like Crohn's there was a thought of giving us parasites to keep the immune system in check. (I have been warned by my doc and Brother, i can not try this till they give there blessing)
__________________
Diagnosed: Crohn's Oct '09
Extraintestinal: scleritis May '08, GERD Aug '09, ankylosing spondylitis Feb '10
Current Meds: Humira, Asacol, Dexilant, domperidone, Tramadol and a whole lot of vitamins
No more sulfasalazine, Methotrexate, Xibrom, Pred Forte and Iron
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor
 
Mountaingem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California

My Support Groups:
Looked this stuff up on Wiki...EEEEEK, do not ingest that!
__________________
Jeannette

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN


Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
11-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito
 
vonfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

My Support Groups:
Diaotomaceous earth only does harm to bug with an exoskeleton, and will not do anything against parasites.
And I reiterate, it will mess you up.
08-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
deeanony1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I know this is an old post. This response is for new people who might find this later . Do a google search for amorphous silica and check out the CDC, FDA, and the NLM (national library of medicine) data on it. Also search for "amorphous silica biologically inert." Apparently, it was tested as safe to ingest (but not to inhale, of course) back in the 80s and earlier. But recently they've been studying it's cytotoxicity (ability to cause cell damage) on the nanoscale and I think there's reason for concern with smaller particle sizes. Don't know what all that nano-particle business means for using it as a supplement (), but it makes me think it wouldn't be wise to ingest it long term. Good luck investigating to all.

Last edited by deeanony1; 08-09-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: More information
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
bonnie2075
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canton, Ohio
There is a food grade diatomaceous earth, that does a lot of good. No it will not mess you up. I take it everyday in a protein shake, been reading up that it may help Crohns And yes it does kill intestinal worms I also put it in my animals food. I know this is an old post but hope it helps someone.

Last edited by bonnie2075; 03-13-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: adding on
03-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito
 
vonfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

My Support Groups:
Diatomaceous earth is an incredible hard substance, roughly the same density of quartz. The theory behind eating diatomaceous earth is that it cleans the digestive tract by scrubbing the walls of the intestine reducing mucus and any dead lining. In a disease that is almost made entirely of a damage top layer of he digestive tract adding an abrasive will only further the irritation of the epithelial layer.

Yes, food grade diatomaceous earth exists, it has farming applications where it is stored near and sometimes mixed in with grains to repel pests, it is removed prior to processing.

There re food grade plastic, mineral oils and lubricants.

Food grade does not mean edible. Food grade means that it can come in contact with food and if food is contaminated with the substances it will not poison or kill the person who accidentally consumed it.

Any substance that requires workers to wear respirators while handing it, should not be consumed.
07-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #11
Tuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario

My Support Groups:
I have Crohn's disease. I do not have parasites. I can't think of one reason for taking this stuff. From what I have read, it won't do any harm. It's used in the food industry as a filter, and is found in some products. I can't see it do any good, a waste of money.
Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive in products including metal polishes and toothpaste, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, a stabilizing component of dynamite, and a thermal insulator.

I did not pop this tread up, I posted in response to a post that is no longer there. fyi
__________________
Inflammatory bowel disease may more than double the risk of a serious blood clot in the legs or lungs.
************************************************** ********************************************

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.

Last edited by Tuff; 07-20-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Reply

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Diatomaceous earth for Crohn's
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com