• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story - The fistulas, the abscess and the poop

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s about a year and a half ago shortly after my second son was born. While pregnant I started have severe pain and swelling in my ankles and legs. Not the normal pregnancy swelling – really awful pain and bruising. After a visit to my internist he identified it as erythema nodosum and suggested that I might have Lupus or another autoimmune disease and see a Rheumatologist. I was put immediately on prednisone to help, which it did somewhat. Toward the end of my pregnancy I started to exhibit some bowel symptoms (yet another thing not all that uncommon for pregnant people). Then I started getting severe hemorrhoids and lots of blood in my poop. Still no mention of IBD. After giving birth the bad bowel symptoms turned awful and I was going to the bathroom about 20 times a day and was having lots of blood loss, as well as total incontinence. I finally called a gastroenterologist and she scheduled me immediately for a colonoscopy. Between my first visit with her and the colonoscopy, I developed anal fistulas. That was a ton of fun! The Colonoscopy confirmed what I thought, that it was Crohn’s. Because of the fistulas my dr. suggested starting Remicade, in addition to the Cipro, Flagle, Lialda and Plaquenil that had been prescribed.

I was doing really well on the Remicade up until a few months ago. I started to exhibit swelling in my ankles again, joint pain, rash on my face and issues with my eyes. I had another infusion and all those things mostly cleared up. Then BOOM – anal abscess. This happened several weeks ago and included a three night stay in the hospital because I started running a fever. I am now flaring again, with the awful diarrhea and horrible fatigue. I am hopeful I can get out of this flare cycle and get well again. I am definitely looking for some support and this seems like a great place to be.

Thanks for reading!

Beth

Hey Beth!

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forum! you will find all kinds of information, as well as, support from others who go through the same things! I'm glad you found us!

Amanda

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Beth and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. So sorry to hear of all that you are going through. :( This is a fab place for support and info so please stay around 'cause we would love to have you here. Browse the forums and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I hope more than anything that you can get this flare under control and move on...........

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

I look forward to seeing you around, welcome aboard!

Take care, :hug:
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Beth!! That was quite a rude welcome to the world of IBD. I hope now you can get your meds sorted and find remission so you can take care of those boys. If you use it, this forum will be loaded with useful info for you. Good luck!!

Astra

Hi Beth
and welcome

so sorry you're having trouble again and the awful abscess!
Have they mentioned Pred again? Just for some relief whilst you're flaring and inflamed?
Glad you found us, lots of support and friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thank you all for the kind words. I think I will mention Pred again and see what the doctor thinks. I would at least like to get some of these symptoms under control.

Many thanks!!!
Beth

re: My Story -

Nice to meet you Beth, I am kinda new here too. Hope you feel better real soon.

Have they recommended surgery for your fistulas or the abcess? Please make sure you ask as many questions as you can think of before committing to a particular type of surgery, if you should go that route.

I had my first abcess about five years ago on my right side, and it swelled up to the size of a golf ball. A ten day course of Augmentin (amoxycillin) prescribed by the local walk in clinic amazingly cleared it up by the time I got to my referred appt. with a surgeon about two weeks later (whew!) and it never came back.
Not been so lucky with the fistula that appeared on the other side about two years ago. I have thrown everything at it including "Wild Oregano Oil" which I found out about in a voodoo witch doctor book... now a second surgery looms in a couple weeks - if I don't chicken out ha ha :/

Have you gotten yourself a sitz bath tub, the plastic bowl that you fill with warm (hot) water and place in the toilet for soaking? My wife got me one at CVS, I have found that sometimes soaking for 20 minutes or so really helps to alleviate the pain and soreness that goes with multiple unwelcome bowel movements and it also can help with fistulas and abcesses. I like to think that if the heat can help draw healing blood to the area, then it also can help draw any antibiotics being taken closer to the target area. Its not an expensive item, and maybe worth adding to your arsenal as you fight your way back.

Good luck!

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s about a year and a half ago shortly after my second son was born. While pregnant I started have severe pain and swelling in my ankles and legs. Not the normal pregnancy swelling – really awful pain and bruising. After a visit to my internist he identified it as erythema nodosum and suggested that I might have Lupus or another autoimmune disease and see a Rheumatologist. I was put immediately on prednisone to help, which it did somewhat. Toward the end of my pregnancy I started to exhibit some bowel symptoms (yet another thing not all that uncommon for pregnant people). Then I started getting severe hemorrhoids and lots of blood in my poop. Still no mention of IBD. After giving birth the bad bowel symptoms turned awful and I was going to the bathroom about 20 times a day and was having lots of blood loss, as well as total incontinence. I finally called a gastroenterologist and she scheduled me immediately for a colonoscopy. Between my first visit with her and the colonoscopy, I developed anal fistulas. That was a ton of fun! The Colonoscopy confirmed what I thought, that it was Crohn’s. Because of the fistulas my dr. suggested starting Remicade, in addition to the Cipro, Flagle, Lialda and Plaquenil that had been prescribed.

I was doing really well on the Remicade up until a few months ago. I started to exhibit swelling in my ankles again, joint pain, rash on my face and issues with my eyes. I had another infusion and all those things mostly cleared up. Then BOOM – anal abscess. This happened several weeks ago and included a three night stay in the hospital because I started running a fever. I am now flaring again, with the awful diarrhea and horrible fatigue. I am hopeful I can get out of this flare cycle and get well again. I am definitely looking for some support and this seems like a great place to be.

Thanks for reading!

Beth