• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Therapy and Mental Health

I was wondering if anyone else had had positive experiences with therapy helping them deal with their CD or even, in some cases, having it help their disease.

I know for me personally, therapy was one of the turning points in getting through my first year after diagnosis. I was in the hospital a couple of times, couldn't work because I was too sick, and my well being was far from well. I was living under a pile of stress, I couldn't even have a normal conversation because I lived in constant fear of stress, perceived and real.

Every day I needed drugs to wake up, to go to sleep, to get through the day, to not freak out over a friend coming to visit. In therapy, I learned a lot of things that work for me, new ways to deal with stress and even ways to express it other than keeping it inside and letting it fester.

While I still keep my prescriptions filled for xanax and ambien, I went from needing them every day for what felt like forever to needing them maybe one or twice a month, if that. Some times are harder than others, of course, but I feel like therapy really made a difference in my treatment.

Has anyone else had this experience? Or perhaps a bad one? Has therapy or drugs for your mental state positively influenced your physical state?

-Kathryn

I work as a therapist in the UK & have treated a couple people with IBD. This disease can affect all areas of functioning & I feel strongly that there is a role for CBT.

I totally agree that this disease, and many others for that matter, can and do affect the mental and emotional well being as well as the physical.

I think there is still some stigma related to seeking mental help and I believe people can be reticent to talk about it.

-Kathryn

I visited a counsellor, psychologist and cbt therapist at various times in my teenage years for depression, however I never really 'gelled' with any of them, and never did feel confortable talking openly to any of them. But I do still put some of the cbt into practice when I feel the need. I was not diagnosed with crohn's at the time I sought help for depression.

I was going to see someone to talk to when I was really down and sick. But after the surgery I could only go up from there so I didn't pursue it.

Yes, I have lots of positive experiences with it.

I first got depressed when I was 12, 3 years after my dx. At the time I was really ill, on a high dose of steroids, and had a naso gastric tube which I used to puke up every night along with the enteral nutrition that was being pumped into my stomach over night. I wasn't allowed to eat anything for 3 months and I was being bullied at school and had no friends. I went to see a child psychologist at the children's hospital I was at, at the time, every week and it really helped to get over my depression.

Apparently if you have ever had depression as a child, you have a much higher chance of being depressed in later life and in my first year of uni aged 19 I got badly depressed again for no particular reason. I went to see a counsellor for 7 weeks at uni and again, it really helped.

Last year I felt like I was doing fine in life until I took a Crohn's and eating disorders survey and didn't think much of it till the outcome was that I may have eating problems. I was asked if I wanted to see a psychologist for a consultation to see if there was anything to it, which I agreed to. The appointment was 90 mins and it was awful. I cried the entire time dragging up old and painful memories of me ill and everything I had to deal with. The outcome was that I didn't have a defined eating disorder so they couldn't follow me up, but I obviously still had some problems there so she wanted to refer me locally. After that appointment I was a mess. I thought I was doing ok and actually I really wasn't.

I went to see a counsellor at my local GP and she was amazing. I got to talk about everything I'd gone through and how my relationship with my parents was effected by it all and why I had problems going to sleep before 5am. Not only that but I could talk to her about things I thought might not be normal behaviour and she reassured me if it was. Because I had such deep problems I had 10 sessions but by the end of it I feel great. I've never felt better mentally. I'm happy and determined to do well for myself and even go to bed before midnight now :)

I have a new tdoc, and so far so good. Only in the last few months have I really started attaching a lot of my depression to this disease. It's amazing to look back and see the correlation between my depressive periods and crohnsy-type stuff. It's not always directly related to crohn's but damn, it seems the two are always around each other.

I have a bad habit of beginning therapy, then stopping after several visits. This year I am going to give in and try to make therapy work.:)