• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileo cecal resection

New to the forum so heres my story. Diagnosed in 2004 suffered for many years before. Multiple trips to the DR over the years for diahrea and passing blood. Told it was stress or nervousness and the blood was from a small hemoroid. Beginning to think it was all in my head till I was averaging over 10 trips to the bathroom a day and I said enough was enough my family doc sent me for colonoscopy and I was finally diagnosed.
First Gastro DR did me no good only provided temporary relief. His solution was to keep increasing my Pentasa dosage, which my symptoms seemed to get worse each time the doses were increased. Fed up I stopped taking all medication and got better but still had abdominal pain and fatigue. Changed DR in 2007 and finally found somebody who helped. She Talked to my wife and me for over an hour the first visit looking over my medical history and getting to know me. She did me more good in the first visit than my other Dr did in three years.
Last colonoscopy Dr discovered large amounts of scar tissue around my Ileocecal valve. This explained the abdominal pain. Gastro Doc sent me to Surgeon who also recommended removal of the ileum. So now I'm scheduled for Surgery in January. Should have had it done sooner but I'm a self employed carpenter and had several unfinished projects to tie up first and January seems to be my slowest time.
Curious to hear about other experiences with what they are calling a single port Ileo cecal resection. Going for my pre surgery appointment in two weeks. Can anyone tell me what I should expect before and after the surgery. Thanks for reading my story and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Medical History
1986 Optic Nueritis Cause not diagnosed
1992 Testicular cancer
1993 Anal Fistula surgically repaired (should have been diagnosed then but no one could give me a reason why the fistula developed)
2004 Diagnosed with Crohns
2011 will have Ileo cecal resection

Medicine
75 mg azathioprine
2 prilosecs per day for heartburn
B-12 shot once monthly

Last edited:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Nailbender!! Sorry I can't answer your question but there'll be others along who can. You could try doing a search up top for ileal resection in the mean time. I'm sure you'll get many results. Good luck!!

Man, I just saw your med. history!! I'm glad you found a GI you can trust and talk to!!

I had an Ileum resection. I had a lot of scaring and a few complete blockages so they decided to go ahead and take it out in one emergency room visit so I don't have info on pre-op things. Was in the hospital a week after and took about 3-4 weeks to be good to go outside n such and was the best thing that could have happened. I feel better now then I did before I had my Crohn's.
99% of the other people who have had this surgery will say the same thing, it changed they're condition 1000% for the better.

Thanks for the encouraging news. I hope the surgery works for me the pain and discomfort is a little hard to take at times. Doctor says all other affected areas are under control just have the scar tissue causing all the problems.

hi Nailbender, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in May 2010 symptoms only since Easter had a perforated bowel with 4cm abscess in June and was treated with IV antibiotics since then i've been on 4gns of pentasa and 5mg prednisolone (tapering from 30mgs).

The surgeon who I saw in June said i'll require surgery at soom stage but as the perforation had contained itself and could be treated with antibiotics he said it could wait til I was fit and well again so as to have the best recovery.

After all the tests it was established that I had a foot of damaged bowel at the terminal ileum and the rest was good. After starting the pred I felt great but as it tapered down a few symptoms were starting to creep back in so I had a laperoscopic assisted ilioe-cecal resection last monday, got out of hospital yesterday and currently at home recovering. They've already stopped the pentasa and reduced the pred to 2.5 mgs to stop this w'end (although I haven't seen my actual GI doc yet so he might want to start me on some maintainence drug). I already feel better since the surgery took 5 days before I went to the loo though and now the stools would be softer than before but manageable and apparently it can take a while before they become more 'normal'!!! all in all i'm glad i've had the surgery and i will keep you posted on the recovery if you wish or if you want any details from the surgery. I too am self employed so want to get back to work ASAP!!! hope this is of some help and you too start to feel better soon

Thanks Archie, it's good to hear the resection was a success. Keep me posted on your recovery.Surgeon told me I could expect a 3 to 10 day stay in the hospital. Figured I would have to stay till I had a BM. Drs have been after me to have this surgery for over a year but I've had projects to finish first. Should have just took the time and had it done sooner because I've really struggled at times to get through the day. Nothing like being 30 feet in the air on a roof and get a sudden urge to go to the toilet. Thanks again for telling me your story.

I kept putting it off and putting it off til it got to the stage that the surgeons were thinking i was refusing surgery against their advice which wasn't the case. What swung it for me was the thought of coming of the steroids and eventually i thought why put off the inevidable any more. Don't run the risk of a perforation if the bowel wall justs gets weaker and weaker then it'll not be work your worried about returning too!!!!! I too was struggling to get through the day which really annoyed me as I used to have great energy levels.

I was in hospital for 7 days but would've got out earlier if the bowels worked sooner but already feel the benefit of the surgery hope it continues although i'm still very early days and wouldn't like to be too far from a loo!!!

My son just had this done a month a go. They took out about 12" and about 2" of the large intestine.. he was in the hospital around 9 days. The first 3 days we was waiting due to some screw ups with getting his previous ct scans delivered (long story).. He had most of it done laproscopicly with about a 3" cut by his belly button to get the bad stuff out.. He's doing much better now, but has agressive Crohns so he's one 6MP also. Not sure where you are in indiana but my son was out there for the moto cross races in august and wound up in the hospital (another long story). His friend took him to Methodist in Indianaplolis and I gotta tell you I was VERY impressed with the Er, Nurses and Dr.'s there... If your close by that would be one to look into.. The cafeteria for visitors (me and my wife) had great food also.. :ybiggrin: Keep us informed on your progress...

/joe