• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Personal & Business Life

I have one life. That's a personal & business life. No seperation. And it stresses me out more than you can believe. It is my one major contributor to my Crohn's.

I am the Controller for a small (6 people) business. We have an average of 10-20 sales a day with almost $1M in sales so far this year. However, I am not only the Controller. I also am the marketing department, new product department, partial sales, partial purchasing, partial shipping/receiving, etc etc.

ALSO - my father is one of the two partners. So it's basically a family business. He's been my boss in the past, but only for part time summer jobs during school years. NOW I also work with my mother and boyfriend. Keeping everyone working together and happy take a REDICULOUS amount of effort.

No, it shouldn't be that hard to keep people working together. But in small businesses, small things add up. I'm stressed right now because my father is trying to keep business structured and have my boyfriend have to talk to him about taking time off next Tuesday so that he can be with my when I go to my doctor appointment. My boyfriend is having a fit because we both know my father is just trying to hassle him.

Not to mention they both have type A headstrong personalities. UGH!!

I swear I'd leave if I could. I mean, I didn't get my Master's in Accounting just to throw it away. I SHOULD get my CPA license, CMA license, among other things I USED to dream about. Now I only DREAM about them and wish for better days when we're doing well enough to hire more people so I don't have to deal with everyone so hands on.

So, not only am I partially throwing away a potential career in hopes that this will look wonderful on my resume, help my family make a few bucks, and possibly myself and boyfriend.. but I can only hope that I'm not throwing away my family & love life.

I know everything will be okay. I deal with this on a weekly, hell daily, basis. I'm just stressed at the moment since I feel like I'm on the verge of a flare and my stomach just make a rumble sound. Lucky me! *sarcasm*

Anywho, there I got it out. Yes, I feel a little better. No, my stomach doesn't. Awesome. Freakin' awesome.

Thanks for reading <3

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh my, that does sound stressful! I would go crazy if I had to work with my parents every day. No wonder it's doing a number on you!

You said you'd leave if you could. Well, what would happen if you left? Would your parents never speak to you again? Would the business go under? What if you gave them ample notice and offered to train your replacement? Or what if you went to part-time so that you could get those licenses you mentioned? Surely they can't realistically expect you to work there forever and be happy about it, something's got to give. You've got to take care of yourself first and foremost.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you luck! Let us know how it goes!

rygon

you really need to keep it as seperated as possible. If its hurting you then its not worth the hassle tbh, have you tried talking to others about it? Im guessing as a family bussiness you dont get to go on many training courses. Maybe a people management would help. They normally tell you what type of person you are, strengths and weaknesses and help understand yourself and others better.

Stress is my number one enemy! After 13 years in the same job, I changed in May because the workload and responsibility were building bythe second; where time, support, and resources were cut to a bare minimum. I like my new job- and there was just as much stress in the beginning while I adjusted. It's better now- I think partly because I know I am in a better situation than I was 8 months ago.
Hope you (and your tummy) are feeling better!

You poor thing; must be so hard!!! I think its healthy to have seperate personal and business lives, also you should follow your dreams!!! If you want to do accountancy and all that jazz you should, i know easier said than done but hey you only live once!

xoxox

If I left the business it would probably go under. My parents would lose a tremendous amount of money. Probably not speak to me for quite some time, decades or what not.

The ease of seperation comes and goes. Everyone is still getting settled into the business since it's constantly changing.

Hopefully everything will go well today considering it's my birthday. :)

Thank you everyone for your concerns. I'm sure that I'll be able to leave one day. Either that or a mushroom cloud will be left in my abcense. lol

:bdayparty:

Have an absolutely fantastic day, any problems should take a back seat today!

Much Love xoxox