Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Brown rice ok for people with Crohn's Disesae?

01-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #1
Mazen

brown rice ok for people with Crohn's Disesae?

I heard that brown rice is much healthier than white rice. But is it OK for us with Crohn's, the fiber and all??? Has anyone tried it?
01-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Hamp

Mazen said:
I heard that brown rice is much healthier than white rice. But is it OK for us with Crohn's, the fiber and all??? Has anyone tried it?
Try it and see. I find brown rice having too much fiber for me. Not very tasty either. So I go for the white rice and it works good for me. Feel better, taste better.
01-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

I have heard that brown rice is also better, but off the top of my head am not sure the exact reasons. It may contain less/no gluten, less sugar/carbohydrates or something else entirely! Anyways the truth is that unless you experiment you will have no idea how something will react with you. I would never have been able to eat popcorn (especially during a flair), yet I met someone who could easily (with Crohn's Disease) and they also were able to eat nuts a lot of the time also. So i recommend that if you do try it, start with just a small amount, and chew it very well. If that goes well then try a bit more (like move from a tablespoon worth one day to double that the next time). Work your way up to a full sized portion as long as things continue to go well.
01-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
kix66

I have no problems with brown rice, but then again I can eat popcorn. To me it has a slightly nutty flavor, it's good with a little olive oil and soy sauce.

kathy
01-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
CanadaCurt

I love brown rice and I eat tons of it! I don't have any problem with the fiber or haven't so far at least. Traditionally only poor and sick people ate brown rice, it was considered a sign of poverty. It wasn't until recent times when people discovered how nutritionally superior brown rice was to rice. White rice is made by removing the husk from brown rice.
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
I too eat tons of brown rice. Dosnt bother me either.Has anyone herd of the RAB diet. RICE, APPLES and Bananas. That is what my dietian told me to eat when ever I had a bad flare up it works for me.

TAMMY
01-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
fgillette1986

Tammy Smith said:
RICE, APPLES and Bananas
So brown rice, apples (I'm assuming without the skin?), and Bananas. I eat a lot more Bananas these days. I incorporate them in my smoothies every morning.
01-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
Mazen

For me, if i have a flare or not feeling well, it's RPB: Rice, Pear, Banana as apples do not suit me well. Also some chicken breast.
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
robert.k

Mazen: Brown rice is touted as 'healthier' than white rice due to it (generally speaking) being less refined than white rice. A lot of the nutrition in rice is contained within the germ and husk of the seed... the more you process and refine the rice (bringing it closer to white rice), the more nutrition is lost through this processing.

For those who suffer from IBD, though, you don't need to sweat it. There's nothing contained in whole-grain rice/brown rice that you can't get from many other food courses/supplementation.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Brown rice ok for people with Crohn's Disesae?