• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here my story

Well im new to the forum and thought I would share my story, I was diagnosed with crohns my jr year in high school in 2004, and had terrible stomach pains for years but they could never figure out what it was, I went through the football season in and out of the hospital during the week just to get out in time to play the games on friday, after awhile the pains got so bad I couldnt stand it, by the time they figured out what I had my lower intestine so so scared up I had to have surgery my senior year where they removed a foot and a half of my lower intestine.

Before I went into surgery I had gotten down to 112 lbs and I was 5"11, the doctor said I looked like a walking corpse. The disease caused me to miss most of my senior yr and a football scholarship, now im 24 and its been 5 yrs since I had the surgery and feeling very well, I have the usuall issues but not any pain, and my doctor has taken me off my medicines but I still take one. I always had a hard time gaining weight in high school and im assuming the crohns had something to do with it, but with the right supplements, diet and working out i am now 6"2 205lbs, Im working 2 jobs and go to college and the crohns has not stopped me from my goals I want to achieve. And im actually considering trying out for the dallas cowboys this spring. Its cool cause ive talked to some players in the nfl who have crohns and how they deal with it.

Its been a hard road dealing with it but with family and friends im making it through day by day and realize that every day isnt a right its a gift and I make sure to enjoy every bit of it, I have several tattoos reminding me of everything ive gone through to always remind me to not take the small things for granted. Well thanks for listening and im glad I found this site. Thanks

Last edited:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, dmurph, and welcome to the forum! Nice to have you aboard. Your note about the Dallas Cowboys caught my eye as we've just had the Grey Cup played (Canadian Football League national championship), so it was quite the football weekend here. Will be so interested to hear if you decided to try out for the team!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome DMurph!! Great attitude!! I hope you stay well. Hmm, 6'2, 205....tight end?? Good luck!!

Welcome Dmurph! Sounds like you have a fabulous attitude and that helps all of us keep our spirits up! I was also dx in high school and for the most part missed my senior year. Glad you are up and running again. We look forward to seeing you out on the field!

Welcome! You seem to have a great attitude! Keep it up, and good luck in your ventures, Hope you stay well and continue to have good luck with having to deal with this awful disease.