• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi im new member, just a short intro about my abscess & fistula hell!

Hello all, was diagnosed with crohns aug 2008 and over past 2 years managed to keep crohns under control with meds (azathioprine, asacol, steroids). Had no resections but suffered past year with recurring abcsess & fistulas, had 1 fistula laid open & 2 other fistulas been treated with seton's. Abcsesses been drained and packed until healed but the problems seem to keep coming back, as anyone else had this problem if so any advice with be greatfull. Thanks wazchippy

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hey wazchippy, glad you found us.
Remicade is known for keeping fistulas inactive, but I'm not sure if you can go on it for that reason alone. Do you have any other symptoms?
If you do a search for 'fistula' on here, you will find a ton of other stories about them.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
MBH

hi, my crohns doc said theyre gonna try infliximab! is that same as remicade? had soom bad symptons with abcsess high temp and alot of pain when going to toilet. I'll have a look on here for more info about abcsess and fistulas. thanks

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes, infliximab is Remicade.....that is the only thing that worked to heal my fistulas.....and is currently the only med I am on to keep symptoms under control!

Hello wazchippy!

Sorry I can't answer your questions....
But I can welcome you to the Forum!!

Make yourself at home!!
Nancy~

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
hi pasobuff, thanks for info on meds. Have you any idea if docs will stop azathioprine if im on infliximab?
They may or may not - that is something you should bring up with your doc. I was orig. on 6-MP with the Remicade, then was able to stop the 6-MP.......so I'm just on Remicade.