• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore throat and azathioprine

I have had a cold the past couple of weeks. I was just feeling better and now I've got a sore throat. I checked in the mirror, and there's no signs of swelling or pus and my glands are fine. I'm not needing any painkillers or anything like that for it. But it says on the aza leaflet to tell your doctor straightaway if you have a sore throat or signs of an infection. But it's Saturday night. Do I really need to do something or can I just ride it out? I would feel very silly going to the out of hours place for just a sore throat!

Could you phone NHS direct and ask them?
I had similar worries about infections when I started Entocort (I know it's not the same but I also know the slight paranoia I go through each time I feel a little ill or someone I know gets a bug...)

I could, but I don't really trust them. They have set questions that they have to ask, and set advice they give out. Last time I phoned them, I had a throat so bad I was drooling because it hurt too much to swallow, even after taking cocodamol and ibuprofen. Their advice? Try some paracetamol! You would think they would know that cocodamol has paracetamol in.

I think I'll just go to bed now, and see how I am in the morning. If it's any worse I'll be a good girl and go to the walk in docs (can you tell I really hate going!).

And as for the paranoia, I was the same on Pred, I freaked at work because they were supposed to inform me of infectious stuff, then I hear one of the kids was off with shingles! Then I realised they were off for weeks, and if I was going to get it I would have. Besides, I never even noticed the kid was off which shows how much time I actually spent with them.

Fair enough!!
I hope you feel better after a good nights sleep. But if not get yourself to a doctor and check it out. Better to find out it's nothing than the opposite...
Glad I'm not alone on Tha paranoia front. Sure doesn't help working in a school with small children ;)

rygon

I think the sore throat is a sign of your white blood cell count being down and not being able to fight off infection (i think). Ive had a sore throat for a week, as im having troubles with my stomach as well ive booked an appointment in with my nurse for next week. Reckon the throat is down to having the heating on most of the time (dry air). I'd say if your throat isnt too bad see how it goes, if it gets any worse or lasts for more than a week give your IBD nurse a ring.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I get a scratchy/sore throat off and on - I don't bother mentioning it unless I have a fever or the signs of strep like I had twice this year.....

I always feel like Im about to come down with full blown flu with aza, I hate it, they say to tell your doc if you get a sore throat as it can be a sign that your white cells are dropping & that is one of the dodgy side effects of aza. hope you feel a bit better today.

It's been on and off, and I don't have any other symptoms, so I think it's heating/ dry air related rather than anything serious. Note to self: drink more water!

HelloooOOOooo. I had a sore throat a few weeks into taking aza. GP sent me to a&e to have my bloods checked. Everything was fine & the sore throat cleared up within a week or so.

Good to read I'm not alone. I have a scratchy throat right now it's mega annoying. I've also been slowly getting ill. it's on my chest I can feel it. I'm wheezing a lot. I have asthma too which is making me panic feel like I can't breath properlying..taking my inhalers as I type!! Haha.xx

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I also tend to get lingering sore throats long after my cold has ended. I've had them checked out before. Only twice did it turn out that my cold turned into strep throat.

Normally though they fade after a while. Imuran/Aza/6-mp weakens your immune system so sometimes it takes a little while longer to fully bounce back from illness. My solution when I catch a cold is to take vitamin C pills, drink lots of fluids (tea or water) to clean and clear out my throat/sinus area and reduce inflammatory items such as sugars dairy and fatty foods.