• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low cholestrol levels

My doctor didn't really think it was a huge issue but I'm thinking that if my cholestrol levels are too low, it can start to cause health problems. I think I'm extremely low, around 138. Is anybody else having this issue? Does anyone know if you can still maintain cholesterol levels after surgery?

Sorry for all the questions.

-Mary

I'm really low too but my doc says it's ok because my ratio of good:bad is where it should be (i.e. both numbers are low) - I'm not sure how triglycerides fit into that. Sorry I don't know what constitutes a "good" ratio, but perhaps you could ask your doc?

I think they're both almost the same. There hasn't been a whole lot of research done on people with hypocholesterolemia. I do know there have been studies that it can affect the absorption of fat soluble vitamins such as D, E, and K. Other studies suggest it may have an impact on serotonin regulation and healing. I've been taking 5 capsules of fish oil along with 2 capsules of flaxseed, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and one avacado. Maybe I need more LDL. I can seem to tolerate low amounts of butter. I stopped consuming butter several months ago along with eggs. I'm thinking about starting it up again to see what happens.

You're right, I should definitely ask my doctor. Sometimes it takes forever just to get in to see him. I usually see my primary care doc because my GI doc doesn't have a clue about nutrition (still looking for a new GI).

-Mary

Mine were low, too. But the ratios were good. In fact, my GI said "well, if you didn't have crohn's, you might live forever". At least he has a sense of humor!

Yeah. It seems my ratio is way off. I have virtually no bad fat so I figured since I can tolerate butter, I've just been adding it to my food. Not sure why I stopped eating it in the first place. Maybe now I'll gain weight. I also take 5 capsules of fish oil, eat avacados, etc.

-Mary