• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stress? Depression? Or just being a Crohnie?

I am feeling really down at the moment. Everything is getting on top of me. Physically I feel fine apart from the constant fatigue. But I just don't feel right. I cry for practically no reason. I'm really irritable, like I lose my temper at a shopping bag splitting. I forget things constantly, stupid things like I was in the staffroom and I couldn't remember if it was break or lunch, I had to look at my watch. I have so much I need to do, at work and housework, but I just don't have the energy or the inclination. To be honest I've been feeling pretty bad for about a year, but I put it down to the constant illnesses I was getting, then the hospital trips, and my diagnosis, then the Pred. But surely I should be noticing an improvement? I mean, I have a few good days where I'm in a good mood and I enjoy myself, but then I surprise myself by bursting into tears or losing my temper and I have a few days feeling awful again.

So what do you reckon, stress, depression, Crohn's or something else making me feel like this?

That's a good question. I think this disease presents itself in soooo many facets. I too cry easily lately ( flaring since tapering entocort), and my temper is just a little nut-so. Personally, I think its just exhausting dealing with crohns in general and I think perhaps the crying/temper is just an outlet for all the anxiety that goes with day to day crohns. I hope it levels out for you. Hang in there!

You're on iron, right... so Crohns in terminal ileum amongst others. I'd go with B vits not being absorbed enough. Once I got into remission I find stress and fatigue are a lot less, and less bothersome. I still get into a temper but that's just me long before Crohn's or anything.

These are the sorts of things my dr. asked me about when they saw how low my B12 levels were. She said I should be feeling tired, maybe sad, and very forgetful or confused.

Maybe you need B12 injections? You could try the B12 strips that dissolve on your tongue over the counter. It might be a good idea to get the Dr. to do a B12 blood test.

Rebecca, Its everything.....and the harder times get, the worst you feel like life is on TOP of you. I have felt like my life is completely out of control and unmanageable for this entire year. You just got to remember that this will too pass, and hold on to your good days!! Thats what gets me by, is my good days....otherwise I baby myself and I allow myself to fell down and out. Do get your B12 levels checked and also vit d may be low. You may even want to consider some depression meds, to get you through the end of the year and until things stable out a bit for you.....I was put on them a few weeks ago, and I really notice a difference....my emotions seem to be a little more managable, and Life doesnt seem like its constantly weighing me down....even on BAD days.

Oi, I do feel ya. Last 6 months have probably been the hardest of my adult life so far. I used to be very emotionally detached and that floodgate blew open in july. Career felt like it was limping along, and my health went down with my mood. If I have a burst of anxiety for a day or two, I get bad pain the next couple days. Pain has been up and down and my GI sucks so I'm working on that.

I don't know what else to tell you other than it seems like the stars have aligned to create kind of a shitty year for the planet. I mean, is anyone doing that well right now? Every country is in shambles in some manner. The planets in a state of hurt currently, and I think we're all feeling it.

To be somewhat proactive, I will list things that have helped bring me peace, no matter how temporary, the last few months:

Yoga: no explanation needed. If you can attend a class or do it to youtube videos, there's yoga for every body part and plenty of lying down and standing positions.

Hot tub: It must be the lightened gravity and sudden comfort on a very primal level, but my gut never hurts when I'm in a hot tub, even if it does when I get in, the relief is uncanny for the simplicity of the treatment. I have a gym membership and thats how I get my hot tub time. If you can find one to sit in, they are great.

Swimming: Pairs great with hot tub. It's physical exercise so you'll feel good mentally afterwards as well. You can swim as lightly as you want, and again, when I've had pain, I still manage to swim somehow.

Being outside: Sometimes if my apartment feels like a depressing hole, just going outside be it night or day helps. Being in a different environment releases my disposition towards being depressed when I'm away from the area I've commonly been depressed in.

Sleep: If you don't think you're getting good sleep, it may pay to hit a doc up or hit the pharmacy for some sleep aid. Noone feels good if they aren't getting quality sleep. Sometimes I need to take a triazolam to really knock me out and get to bed early.

Videogames/Casual internet games: Temporary escape. Satisfying none the less. There's gaming for everyone, whether it be first person shooters or sudoku, if you give your brain good exercise doing these it will get a good workout and also have something else to focus on. Puzzlegames really make you focus, chess consumes me when I play it.

I hope this little blurb helped a bit. Update us anytime, this is the support forum!

Thanks everyone. I had my b12 checked when they did my iron (maybe 2 months ago now), and apparantly it was fine. I will ask them to recheck it when they do my ferritin, to see if it's dropped or stayed level or what. I spoke to my GI about vit D, and he says it's not needed.

I know I need to get doing some physical activity, I walk with the dog but that's about it! The thing is, I don't feel up to doing the stuff I used to enjoy (rock climbing and trampolining)- not so much the Crohn's but I just don't have the strength and stamina I used to. I would like to try yoga, but I'm kind of nervous about finding a place that feels 'right' if you know what I mean.

As for sleep, some days I sleep like a baby, other days I can't get to sleep or I wake frequently. It doesn't seem to make much difference either way- I still feel exhausted pretty much everyday.

I think I will have to go to the doctor and discuss all this. I know they are trialling things like 'exercise prescriptions' which would give me a chance to try something like yoga, if I qualify! But thanks for the support everyone.

On top of it all...its the Holidays. I love the holidays but there is the stress and the emotional drag down of it....Happy Holidays...Sue

Well the way things are going, Christmas will be cancelled at work! Too much stress, and there are going to be some major upheavals in the new year which is causing rifts between the staff.

Astra

Hiya Rebecca

hope you're ok hun?
Don't let the bastards grind you down! Don't get embroiled, don't get involved, smile and walk away from confrontation. Go in, do what your job description says, then go home.
Stress will trigger you off, that's why I ended up in A&E this time last year, cos of work related stress.
Hope your doc listens, maybe he could give you a short course of anti depressants to tide you over.
xxx

Thanks Joan, I think we're going to get a sampler made saying 'don't let the bastards grind you down' and stick it in the cupboard. I'm not the only one who needs that advice at work. And don't worry, I'm very good at the going home part, otherwise I would fall asleep on my feet!

Have got another bug, so off work today and went to the docs. They say it's just a cold type thing, but are concerned at how frequently I'm getting them, and how long they drag on for. They seem to think the mood and fatigue etc is linked to the illness. So they have done urine and blood samples to try to see what's going on (white blood cells, anaemia worsening, vitamin deficiencies seem to be the faves at the moment). I have to go back in the Christmas holidays and see how I'm feeling then, and see what the blood results are.

Man, sounds like you've totally lost your mojo. Hopefully it's a quick fix and nothing too major. With all the tests and doctors and work... try to stay positive. I know this is disheartening for you. And you want to know what's going on. Remember to keep your head high. You seem strong. You can handle it. <3 Keep us updated.

Try to keep your spirits up, It really sounds like an anti- depressant would help you.
When I get really down, I take the time I need to do something I enjoy, video games, shopping, reading, just take some YOU time.

Crohn's is a hard illness to have, for me the first year after DX was the hardest. It seems you may be having that as well.

The colds could well be from the Imuran. Maybe its time to try a biologic? I know I have felt LOTS better on humira. Once the disease is under control (at some level) it helps everything else.

My disease is under control, I have no bowel symptoms on a day to day basis, just if I eat something I shouldn't. Which is why I'm kind of down about being down, I thought once everything had settled I'd feel a lot better. So I don't really want to change from aza unless I have to, I'd rather save the biologics for if I have another bad flare up. And I had scheduled some shopping time today, with my sister in law and baby niece, but I don't want to risk giving her (the baby) the bug as she has frequent respiratory problems.