• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A-symptomatic for a while; but not anymore!

Let's see, apparently I was originally diagnosed with Crohn's when I was a 10-year-old kid. My mum was a nurse and thought my behaviour was odd and that I would often say 'my tummy hurts'. A few tests that I mostly have forgotten (indium scan, barium, blood work) and I thought they said it was 'suspected crohns' and they put me on Asacol and Iron.

I pretty much denied I had the disease from the time I was 13 until I was ... 29! I felt sick a couple times in University, and got some meds, but never stayed on them. Abdominal pain was normal for me so it only seemed weird when it was severe. I still claimed to be a-symptomatic.

Then I started having weird week-end vomiting attacks. (No - it was not from drinking!!!). It seemed like it was related to being nervous/stressed out. It often happened socially, such as when I was visiting family/friends or when they were visiting me. They tested me for a lot of things over two years - "maybe it's your gall bladder", "maybe it's a parasite", "maybe it's gastritis"(sp?), etc. Finally one ER doc said - "maybe it's appendicitis".

I was at a local ER at the time, and was transferred to the ER in the city. After waiting around for a while (getting painkiller for relief thank god!! and anti-nausea for vomiting), I got a CT scan. Apparently, at their first glance at my images, the radiologist said "Whoa - this girl MUST have a history of IBD". It showed significant narrowing and a small-bowel-obstruction, as well as some other stuff.

They gave me a nasal-gastric tube (which I found traumatizing!) and admitted me. I was in the hospital for a week.

That was last January, and I've been on a low fiber-diet, prednisone, azathioprine, and now humira ever since. I have some budesonide in case I need it. I've been having various tests as well. Luckily, my husband is very tolerant and has taken excellent care of me!! I'm thankful I haven't run out of sick days from work too!!

I hated the physical side effects of prednisone (yes I'm vain); but now my joints are hurting - especially my knees. I'm worried about my normal activites - like snowboarding and just walking around. I'm getting really tired of my practically no-fruit, no-veggie no-whole grains diet. Especially when i'm ordering food. I sound like a picky un-healthy person... "white bread and no veggies" BLAH!

Reading some of the other experiences on here, I'm thinking I don't have much to complain about though!!!

Hi, I just joined the forum too. I was diagnosed at 9 myself. Gad, trips to the ER! That sounds awful. I think you do have a lot to complain about! I never had to go to the ER.

Is your low fiber diet due to your narrowing and obstruction? Are they sure that's needed? I would hate to have to give up fruit!

I've had a lot of joint pain, especially my hips, but fortunately not in a while. I'm on budesonide myself, and it works (but makes me irritable and depressed -- even more than usual! :)

Good luck!
Sandy

Hi,

Welcome to the forums! I am on that low-residue diet.. have been for oh 12 years. I make jokes about I can't eat healthy food. But, in reality I would kill for a salad that did not cause pain!

Hopefully they can get your symptoms under control!