• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's

Hi All
I'm new to the world of Crohn's just diagnosed in Sept10 but probably had symtoms for the last few years. So far I'm on prednisolone (50mg and tapered down to 10mg now) and Salazopyrin. Finding this forum online has been great and It is good to read others stories and experience

For starters the pred seemed to be doing a grear job and I felt fine but since I've tapered from 15mg to 10mg I've noticed a few symtoms coming back mainly stomach pains.

My orginal symtoms weren't as bad as others I've read on here mostly multiple BM and the worst was stomach cramps at night. I think I;m pretty lucky but things could get worse.

The most worring thing for me about Crohn's is the genitic links and the chance that my kids might be at a higher risk. I'm 31 and have 4 kids (4,3,1 and 1 month) so I worry what might be in store for them.

I have a docs appointment in the next few weeks and will see what plans are for the future - maybe a trial of no pred? maybe back up again if things don't improve.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forums.

I don't suggest going off pred without talking to your GI doc. if you are already getting some pains and what not it is most likely not a good idea. That could throw you back into a full on flare up. If you do decide to go off it on your own make sure you do a full taper with it, cut down 5mg a week then go down to 2.5 a day then 2.5 every other day. Pred can have nasty nasty effects if you drop it to fast after being on it for a length of time.

I understand worrying about your kids. I worry my son will get this all the time. Keep an eye on them if you see any GI events that look like crohn's get them to the doc asap. I have taken my son in several times just for the doctor to say yep he has a stomach ache. We have the same doctor so he understands totally.