• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie :) light hearted encouraging crohns story

Hey everyone!! Just wanna say first of all that I think this is a great site to have came across, very supportive and can help so many people deal with the stress that is Crohns disease :)

I have had Crohns for 13 years. I was diagnosed at 18 after having if for 4 years, I was down to 5 1/2 stone at this point and couldnt even walk as my joints where so swollen and sore. A year the the day later I had a re-section operation performed that ended up perforating 4 days later which meant I had to have an ileostomy and mucus fistula designed, I developed septiciemia and landed me in intensive care for 2 months. I had wash out operation while I was in there and was on HEAVY antibiotics which was terrible!!! Thankfully when I finally got out of intensive care and home to my family I met my now husband Jonny who loved me even though I had been through all this heavy stuff and the fact I had a bag did not faze him at all!!!

One year later I have my ileostomy reveresed and here I am 8 years on married and relitively healthy (well as good as a crohnie ever will be lol)

To anyone who has been recently diagnosed and is feeling overwhelmed and scared for your future I want to say this........ You CAN overcome Crohns and ou can learn to live with it. It takes a big dolup of courage and a good strength of character but you must never let it beat you! These things are sent to try us :)

Alana xxx

Thanks for the encouraging words Alana. I think your is a very important message. When I first discovered this forum I was under the impression that all Crohnies were house bound with no lives. I think we must let people know that's not the case at all! I hope your positive attitude will serve as an inspiration to Crohnies everywhere...this thing does not have to control you!

Welcome to the forum! Stay positive!

Awk thanks Cookie :) I think everyone deals with things in their own way and feel differently at different stages of their illness. I have found that my way to deal with it is humour :) I try to quash the taboo's of not talking about "bum problems" (as my family call it lol). Having a near death experience with Crohns complications woke me up mentally and spiritually and I think the only way to overcome it is to embrace it and learn to work around it. There are very few people who go through life without some sort of illness or disease so we just gotta make the most of our lot and smile through the pain :)