Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Getting semi-hysterical for no real reason

12-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Christy

Getting semi-hysterical for no real reason

OK, first off let me say that I am not sick at the moment, I do not have any tummy issues, I am not in pain, I am not throwing up, I am feeling fairly normal and life should be GOOD!!

BUT .... we live on top of a mountain, there's snow falling and ice all over everything, the temps are in the low 20s (fahrenheit) and falling rapidly into the teens and I keep playing out a scenario in my mind where I need to get to the ER with, oh, say, a blockage or a perforation or something along those lines and NOT BEING ABLE TOP GET THERE!

*teeth chattering waves of fear flowing for a moment*

I do KNOW this irrational, I do KNOW that I am worrying for worrying's sake, I AM doing all the slow breathing/snapping a rubber band on my wrist stuff that calms me/slaps me back into reality, lol ~ but still .... gosh, I feel alternately icy with fear and then incredibly stupid.

This is the first winter that I've dealt with this. *sigh* Do any of the rest of you guys get this way?
12-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Nica

I get lots of anxiety attacks. From things like "am I having a heart attack?" to driving when there are too many people on the road driving like idiots.

Try to relax, I know easier said than done.
Humira, Percoset, Phenegren, Ambien,Zoloft (trying cymbalta after the new year)
Old Med List!
Pred, Asacol, Remicade, Methotrexate,immuran, Pentasa,Entocort, lomotil, more antibiotics than I can count, gut muscle relaxers, tramadol!
Would love to have Crohnies meet me on
Facebook! please put CF or Crohnie so I know who you are in requests! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=686580310
12-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I have a panic disorder so I know the feeling all too well. There are a lot of us on here who deal with anxiety. For me it helps to see a therapist on a regular basis to talk about it or whatever I want really or to go over ways to help snap myself out of an attack (there are a lot of methods out there and it takes time to figure out which works for you). I try to remind myself that all I or someone else has to do is call 911 and the emergency staff will figure out the rest whether I need a helicopter or if they just want to sling me over their shoulder and carry me to the hospital themselves. :P But keeping in mind that no one is just going to let you die really helps.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Christy

Thanks for the kindnesses.

I used to be subject to some pretty bad anxiety attacks, but as I got older I've mellowed alot. This - I think I can call it Health Anxiety, maybe - is something akin to the feeling I would get when my kids were newborns and I was left home alone with them for the first time.
12-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Nica

Oh I remember that feeling. It surely isn't pleasant. I think it will get easier as you get used to Crohn's. You kinda have warning on most severe issues. At least thats how it has been for me.
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Mrs. V

Anxiety is rough.

I suffer from depression / anxiety. Speak to your doctor. There are a lot of treatments out there.

I take Cymbalta and Ativan when it is really bad. When I am on prednisone the anxiety can get really rough.

Hang in there.
12-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
lynx

I am predisposed to panic because my father had it and my grandfather too...its genetic ...oh wonderful genes I got...so is the damn crohn's..its in the family too on my moms side...anyway...there are great books out there on the disease...yeah if you have it a lot it can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. The nice thing about panic is that you can cognitively change your brain patterns by going through various exercises..A good book i recommend is called "Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic by Reneau Z. Peurifoy. I know there are a ton of books, programs and whatnot out there to help people who suffer from this condition. I found that this book really helped me and rarely have a panic attack anymore and when i do i can go through some techniques and it calms me down pretty fast. I hope this helps.

Currently taking:
Delzicol ( the latest bs non generic form of mesalamine because I live in the U.S.)

previously taking:
a bunch of stuff.

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
Wernher Von Braun
12-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Jenny06xx

I understand completely the fear of what if !!
I was feeling rough last night my hubby was in work I had the kids an no credit on my phone just texts, I kept thinking oh no what if I have to phone an ambulance what will happen with the kids how will I text my hubby saying get home NOW I'm calling 999 etc!! Lol an I don't have any anxiety issues ( ok reading it back maybe I have lmao)
I think it's pretty normal as long as you don't make yourself ill over it .
Jen XX

Meds

Budesonide finished again !!
Pentasa 2g 2x a day
Pred 40mg
Ensure plus ( no longer needed)
Dihydrocodeine 120mg slow release 3 a day
Dihydrocodeine 30mg 2.. 4x day
Tramadol 50 mg 2 ...4x a day ( stopped coz it's not helping )

Waiting for fist appointment at pain clinc I hope it helps !
12-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #9
Manimation

May be worth a youtube search for "Yoga for calmness" , some good videos on there. Or if you want to go in the opposite direction, grab and axe and go chop down a tree, that would release all the nervousness and work your body into a nice calm fatigue. Smooth it out or pound it out.. has usually worked for me. 80% of the time, it works 100% of the time

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Getting semi-hysterical for no real reason