• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update-remicade

X

xrayzerase

update-remicade

hi-i know i can't let myself think about this too much-but i also don't want to cut myself off from others who know what /who have same disease
i am just scared--you know-went from the idea of it being mild and now is considered severe.
just a jump-i need to absorb it--and also-need to do all i can to not obsess.
i start remicade in 1 1/2-2 weeks. (once insurance approval goes through-he said it usually takes about this long--he already put in order once he got my blood results)
i am not scared of the remicade--i am just scared of it not working. i hope it does.
since on entocort-still not better-feel a little better-but--this flare is worse. and the blood shows that too. (amount of inflam. /lymphocytes etc)
my brother and wife are having a baby in may. he asked me yesterday to ask my dr about stem cell transplants
i know it used in only life-threating stuff now--but there is storage til needed--and it seems a good possiblity it may be nearer in future to be used for things like crohn's.
so--it meant a lot he mentioned this -to talk to my dr-and maybe have them store the cord when their child is born...
it is just all so weird even think on this--especially though-it means a lot that my family is so supportive -in so many ways. even though it is all wierd stuff (stem cell things) (to plan ahead and save cord)--to be honest--it makes sense--and it wont hurt their child or mother in any way-so-worth looking into. i know it is all risky-this stem cell stuff..but- i know if a trial comes up-i'd consider the risks.
in meantime-remicade/pentasa/and taper entocort once on remicade if it works.
if not--who knows. i guess other stuff.
personally-as much as i dread the idea that i need remicade-i also feel hopeful and relief (if it works) if it means feeling better finally.
anyway-thats it

Last edited:
M

MJNixon

You just got to hope for the best. I've been on Remicade for 3 years after I had a relapse in my Esophogas. So far, I've been problem free. I originally started every month, and now I am up to every 3.5 months. The key is to know yourself, know the the side effects of the drug, and to be positive. If you doubt the drug; it probaby won't work. If you believe in the drug, I think you'll be plesently surprised. Think in the present about feeling healthy; not in the future. If Remicade causes me to get cancer at age 75; so be it. Without Remicade, I would not be able to to law school.

Michael

U

ubob

My daughter was also diagnoised with crohns and upgraded to severe crohns, we were considering remicade until we found a doctor who gave us a safe alternative that worked. he placed my daughter on wellbutrin which while normally used as a antidepressent also lowers TNF just like remicade but without the sideeffects of the expense. I have introduced three other crohns patients to wellbutrin with the same results. I recently spoke to another friend who has helped two more people get started on the wellbutrin with the same results. This is 6 for six s far as a sucsess rate. The wellbutrin runs 30-50 $ per month. Good luck with your crohns, pleases feel free to write if youhave any questions.

UBOB