• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Misty, new member intro

Terriernut

I joined a few days ago, and I just want to say...Wow, what a great support you've all been already!

I first had problems, as in major flare up in I think 1997. My Irish Wolfhound Ziggy got bone cancer, incurable, and down I went. No official diagnosis, cause the Drs were a bit baffled. Asacol and pred. Went YEARS without any issues. I'm a very lucky girl. Except I always could #hit for Britain. Thru a needle, on a stick! LOL! My nickname is the 'poo fairy'. Then last year, after being continually bullied at work by manager...perforated sigmoid. Believe it or not, two weeks later back to work, more prednisolone and asacol. And lots of nasty antibiotics.

In Oct this year, my Irish Terrier Chase, my heart dog went down hill. He had lots of medical problems, born deaf, Atypical Cushings, etc, well, down I went again. He was helped to pass on the 8th of November. Perforated again. Hospitalized 17th of Nov. They let me out of hospital the 30th of Nov because the power failed! Whoopie!!!! I escaped Bedlam! But this time, I'm not getting any better. The pain there is pretty intense. I have the pain tolerance of an Ox, so its bad if I wince!

I'd like to say in all this time I've been diagnosed with Crohns, but they think its that and more, but they still dont know for sure. What I do know for sure is that my colon seems to come to the end of its battle scarred life. This was a bit of a shock for little mini me I must say! I'm meeting with a BUPA Dr tomorrow and they are going to try a scope, but they arent sure they can as I'm far to narrow they think even for a pediascope. So, the colon will probably have to go one way or the other. I've gone thru the denial, the rage, the depression, and am slowly sliding into the....oh dear!!!

But, if I'm honest, it's surgery in general, and THAT major of a surgery which scares me. And, the after wards. Living with it. Who in gods name would be interested in me again as a woman? That sort of thing, thats the bit thats getting to me. But, as I look around here, and I see you all, I think, well, so many of you have been there done that, and some of you, are even wearing bathing suits!! So I shall prevail!
Thank you for having me,
Misty

Hey there welcome to the forums and Im really very sorry for your troubles lately. If that surgery does go ahead there are a ton of very experienced people here to help you out. Best of luck with getting better soon and again welcome!

Hi!
So sorry you are going through this. Being faced with major surgery is never easy. I hope we can help you in some way.

Hi Misty and welcome to the Forums!

You can always come here for support and if you
have any questions....ask away!

You will get through this...and we'll be right beside you..
we'll even hold your hand.

Welcoming Hugs~Nancy :hug:

Astra

Hi Misty
and welcome fellow Brit

so sorry you're having to go thro all this, but we're here for you, hope you find some comfort with us.
I'm a bit confused? perforated sigmoid? That could be Crohns, and then you mention colon having to be removed, is that UC? Have you had a defo diagnosis?
Have they exhausted all meds? How about the biologics? Remicade or Humira?
Check out the Stoma forum on here, if you have to go down that route, there is loads of advice and support there for you.
Let us know how you get on with the BUPA doc
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Terriernut

Oh, after all these years of world travelling I've never been properly diagnosed no! Crohns/Colitis 'they think'. But yes, over 2/3 of the Colon is shot. And I have another infection. Surgery is now imminent. I shall get thru it somehow, and yes, afterwards eventually I will have my life back.
Fingers crosssed!
Misty

Oh, Misty, are they sure it's shot, and not just inflamed? Is it really both permanently scarred and narrowed? I have a stricture in the sigmoid colon and rectum from years of Crohn's -- scarred and battle-worn, but it's pretty much healed. And with the disease under control, and the inflammation down, it's not that narrow any more. My hope would be you could get the disease under control first, before surgery, to make sure it's really "shot" or just inflamed, and to get a firm diagnosis of whether it's Crohn's or UC.

But here's hoping things go for the best.

Sandy

Dx 1963
Now on:
Asacol
Azathioprine
Rowasa
Budesonide (sprinkled lightly in Rowasa, shaken, not stirred)
Folic acid