• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to The Forum

Hello All
I have had Crohns disease for 36 years - I was diagnosed at age 15 but had had problems for a couple of years prior to that, mainly severe abdominal pain, diarrhoea and weight loss. I had the usual medical treatments which seemed to help, but I did have side effects from continued use of steroids (including some osteoporosis).

I went through a number of nasty investgations which was traumatic aged 14.
I was eventally diagnosed with mainly large bowel Crohns including my rectum and anus. Wrecked my last two years at School - I was never in!

Over the next few years I developed severe arthritis in my hip and had big problems with uveitis.

In the late 80's my rectum fistulated with my bladder and also several sites on my bum, had to wear pads down the undies for years. Agony. I put up with this for a number of years but finally gave in and had a pan procto collectomy, including removal of the anal canal. I now have a permanent ileostomy. A few years after this operation the area around the stoma fistulated so it had to be resited on the other side.

My experience is that having a good (interested) consultant is key - I had one when being treated at Hope Hospital in Salford, Greater Manchester. He really did safe my life on two occasions (he is retired now).

In all this time I have only had 4 years of relapse 1988 -92 however, I did go back to Higher Education and achieved a first degree and a masters.

I am still on and off the steroids and just hope for no more fistulae.

Best wishes

Welcome to the forum !!
I bet you can teach some of us a thing or 2 when we need advice as you've been dealing with crohns a long time.
Hope you stick around :)
Jen xx

Hi Tay,

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have had it pretty rough! Please feel free to post on the other threads. I am sure you have lots of good advice on managing Crohn's day to day. Glad to have you here!

Hi Both
Thank you for the welcome - happy to offer any suggestions/advice I can. There appears to be two broads types of Crohns - fistulating and non-fistulating - its the fistula which have caused me most grief!

My big disappointment is that although there is a lot of good research going on, nothing has really changed in the last 30 odd years in the way of treaments, steroids and immunosuppressant's remain 1st line approaches.

On a more positive note I am not the sort of person to 'roll over' and give in. I generally try to remain chirpy and have held down a full time job for many years (even though I have had to crawl in on many occassions! I am married to a gorgeous woman and have two grown up daughters.
Kind regards.

Its great to hear someone who has suffered with Crohn's for a LONG time and managed to stay working!

Hey there welcome to the forums and that is one heck of a long timr to have crohns. Im sure your experiences will help many here and lets hope some new treatments help you into some remission again.

Astra

Hi Tay
and welcome fellow Brit
I have relatives in Neath!

You've been thro the wringer alright!
So glad you found us, lots of friends here for you, and you'll be a great asset on the forum with your wealth of experience!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks folks, I am still finding my around the forum. But hope to make a contribution.

Hi Joan I was born in Stretford, Manchester but spent my adult years in Prestwich. I have been in Cardiff for 20 years though! I know Neath, Port Talbot well.

My parents are Irish and I have just found out that my maternal cousins daughter (living in Ireland) has been diagnosed, so I guess the faulty gene is on my mums side of the family.

I agree with your sentiments about prednisolone, I hate the stuff. Having said that if I had not responded so well to it I would have been in big trouble.
Cheers

Thanks Andrea - I really like Cardiff. Its got all the advantages of a capital city but without the size! Hope things are stable for you on the Crohns front. Happy Christmas.