• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am a NEWBIE!

S

stephrena

I am a newbie, and I feel overwhelmed, stressed, and frustrated. I am also in the "angry" stage right now. I get frustrated and mad easily- and am grumpy. When I have an "outburst" my husband always says "Oh, its just the Crohn's talking" is anyone else, now or when they were first diagnosed, mean? My husband means well, is very supportive, but he is always trying to help me do things, and of course my reaction is LEAVE ME ALONE I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP. Does this pass? I guess this is part of the angry/denial stage?

GRRR if you give me the wrong answer I might throw things! hehe...just kidding :)

--steph
"i have crohn's but crohn's doesnt have me"

i think i might make bumper stickers with that phrase.

R

ruthymg

Hi steph and welcome. I certainly remember being in the extremely angry phase right after I was diagnosed and probably up to 2 years afterwards. My hubby used to get extremely frustrated with me but he never showed it, at the time we were only dating and I know I was terrible a lot of the time. I used to tell him that just because I had crohns, that didn't make me incapable because his constant help and support drove me mad. Very ungrateful I know but at the time I was in a hell of a lot of pain, had constant accidents and generally felt really crappy about how my life was panning out. My hubby has never had health problems, he's perfectly healthy, goes to the gym, eats what he likes etc and I think a part of me resented that at the time. Thankfully he stayed around and as I said, he's now my hubby.
Its perfectly natural to get grouchy, you're having a crap time. It wouldn't be normal for you to be smiling all the time with what you have to deal with.
What I will say though, is that in time, this "phase" for want of a better word, will pass. I wasn;t diagnosed until 2001, although I had had symptoms for the best part of 6-7 years and now, I get the occasional off day. Think thats because I have a stoma though and I really don't like it, but most of the time I don't worry about the fact that I have crohns, it doesn't particularly rule my life. Yes I have to make some allowances but I'm still here, I'm not terminally ill, I'm happily married with 2 great children, things could be much worse. I hope things start to get a little easier for you. There are plenty of people on this site who can offer all kinds of support and info, feel free to ask away.

Ruth

Welcome to the forum. I get like that when I am in a flare but now I get depressed instead of being in denial I just hate life some days. If you ever need to vent we have a wonderful venting forum.

Best of luck

Welcome

Hi Steph!
:welcome: to the forum!
I think when first diagnosed 10 years ago, I went through that angry time as well.
Things will level off and you'll be cheerful again.
There is so much info here to read and learn....
I know you will enjoy being able to just come in and rant if you want. LOL
That's not a bad thing...we're all in the same boat.
And we have a chat room and a Lounge where you can put your feet up and
if you're having a bad day....tell us!

Again..welcome.
Hugs~Nancy

Anger management

When things aren't right healthwise it's a lot easier to lose your temper. I think it's healthy to let off a little steam every now and then as long as no one gets hurt. Hide the firearms and knives! Just kidding.

F

fgillette1986

I'm naturally mild tempered, but I also meditate often and use breathing techniques. Whenever I feel a lot of negative energy upon me, I release it through constructive action. Have you ever thought about things such as Tai Chi? It is also said to help digestion. (0:

Kev

Hey stephrena.. Welcome to the forum.. Membership has it's privileges. you can toss anything you like.. You are actually in an enviable situation... sort of. Imagine if you were a massive man, who looked like he ate little children for breakfast, and was a naturally moody male to begin with, then went thru the anger phase of "Crohn's"?
My friends n family haven't deserted me (yet). This anger phase passed, as yours is sure to too.. Being a male, I can relate to your hubby. We men try to fix things. It's an instinctive thing... Same goes for being so adroit and perceptive we say things like "Oh, it's just the Crohn's talking", or it's just the (Insert 'hormones', or 'pms' or 'change', etc., etc.. See how attuned we are to the female psyche??). If he doesn't learn to think before he opens his mouth around women, then he just wasn't destined to live a long life anyway. Pick out a nice coffin, a good headstone
and have a simple service. No female jury would ever convict you. then re-marry

That's my best advice.. Given time, all your other emotional symptoms will pass too