Share Facebook

02-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #31
Christie

I am alos very sorry for the babies you have lost x
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #32
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you! I was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix. That's a horrible sounding name I know. For whatever reason, my cervix was either too soft, too short, or wanted to open prematurely. With my first baby, I had no idea that I had that condition, so when I was threatening to have the baby too early, at 19 1/2 weeks, the doctors performed an emergency cerclage. They placed a McDonald's cerclage. Basically using one big stitch to sew like a purse string. I got an infection and ended up losing my first daughter.

I got pregnant again six month later and had a preventative Mc Donald's cerclage placed when I was about 14 weeks along. I had some strange minor bleeding, but the baby was okay. I started have diarrhea around week 17 which is very unusual in pregnant women. The progesterone is constipating, because of my Crohns I ended up with normal stool. I noticed a lot of pressure and pain in my back. When I went to see my doctor, during the exam, he accidentally punctured my sack. I was only 18 weeks along, so I ended up losing that second baby girl. The doctor felt horrible. I was angry and very hurt for a while, but then I realized that the sack probably separated which accounted for the strange bleeding. My sack was too close to the cervix and it would have probably ruptured on its own.

Three years later, I got pregnant with Elizabeth. My perinatologist suggested another cerclage. I absolutely refused to have another Mc Donald put in, so he suggested a Shirodkar. The Shirodkar Cerclage is placed higher up. It turns out that it was successful. After my cerclage was removed, I was able to into normal labor and deliver vaginally.

Please don't give and lose heart my friends. I was 37 when I had my daughter. If it's your heart's desire, please continue to work with your doctor and try.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)
02-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #33
Lydia

Thanks for sharing your story AndiGirl. I really needed to hear that. It was inspiring.