Share Facebook

01-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Abscess on Arm

Earlier this fall, I had a painful abscess that was located just below my elbow. I had no cut or scrap or anything there. My doctor is aware of my CD as she has treated me numerous times. She was as perplexed as I was as to why I would suddenly develop a painful abscess near my elbow. I was going through a Crohn's flare around that time. I know perianal abscesses are common, but my abscess was on my arm. Could there have been any connection with my CD? The abscess cleared up with a strong antibiotic, and the flare subsided shortly after.
01-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I hope it isn't, but Pyoderma Gangrenosum seems to be a possibility for unexplained skin eruptions on here. If you do a search on it, you'll see many threads discussing it. I couldn't find a wiki article about it which is a little surprising. Maybe I'm misspelling it.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
01-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Hope

Hi Andigirl, I have had Crohn's since I was 7 (I'm now 34), and my major symptom at the time was Pyoderma Gangrenosum which showed up all over my shins, it was awful. a few years later, while in a flare, I noticed I began to get them on the upper parts of my arms. My doctor advised that it was the same thing and treated me with meds (i cant remember which ones, as I've been on everything, but I think it was pred at that point). They often did come and go through out my life, esp when i was in a flare. I no longer get them as I now have an ileostomy. (finger crossed)

Good luck and I hope you find your answers soon! Hang in there!
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Hope

another thing-was the spot on your arm warm? red?
01-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The spot on my arm was about the size of a silver dollar, red, swollen, and very painful to touch. The doctor was calling it an abscess, but it wasn't open. It was under the skin. I appreciate the input. Weird?
01-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
mchank66

hallo
just came out of hospital got bumps on arms, with fever and then all over legs.. I was told they were erythema nodosum. They aren't quite as big now, but they might take a while to go.
Perhaps they are these.
XXX