• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone spacing

prednisone spacing

hey guys i am taking 40mg prednisone. is it more effective to take it all in the morning or space it out to like 20mg 2 times a day?

if i dont get isomnia from it thought? becuase ive been on it for sometime now and its not working and i take it all at the same time

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'd ask your doc that question. Sounds like upping the dose may be in order but that's something your doc would say to do. I'm not to keen on self medicating.

I've had my doctor tell me to take it all in the morning some times, and space it out at others. Definitely ask your doctor.

thankyou. another big problem im having is this. when i was in the hospital i took my daily asacol and probiotics and once i started the prednisone with flagyl and then vanco and bowel rest, i healed very quickly within a week and i had a fistula forming, the pain is the real reason i got rushed to the ER. i stayed on the prednisone and the c.diff antibiotic for a long time, a couple months on the pred frm 60mg down, but i went into remission.

this time around im taking my daily asacol and probiotics, tried entocort for a good 15 days and felt like i needed something stronger becuase i saw no change. ive now been on the same doage mg prednisone as i was in the hospital but no antibiotic or bowel rest becuase im at home trying to get healthy. it is day 14 on the prednisone and still not really any relief at all. please tell me its possible that i may infact start getting results andrelief from it sooner than later.

and i keep swearing to my docotor that i must have a c.diff infection again to be in this bad of a state like i was before, but ive done 3 different cultures over and over in the matter of a 2 months so he highly doubts that i do and says paying for another test is pointless.

any shared knowelege is greatly appreciated as im at the end of my rope. he wants to put me in another colonoscopy and start humira or remicade which arent covered under my insurnace policy and im not all for it. i just dont get why prednisone worked so well for the me first time and now nothing at all its so frusturating! how is that possible

Last edited:
You could always try bowel rest yourself. If it worked well before it may help this time. but it may well be going down the humira route would work well for you. If your stool cultures have been negative on 3 occasions then it's unlikely you have c diff.

i dont understand why the prednisone would work so well one time, and then a year or two later i have no responce to it at all? can you build an immunity to prednisone?

It all depends I guess how severe your flare is. You don't become resistant as such to prednisolone but your disease may be more severe. Or as said before bowel rest together with pred often works better than pred alone...did for me.

i appreciate your replies. in the hospital i didnt move form the one spot for 11 days, so the bowel rest was difficult, but i was expending so many calories. i cant do that at home. basically what im asking is if ive been on it for 14 days and havent noticed much improvment, will i ever be able to notice any within the following weeks or is it not possible

also, why are these 20mg tabs pink unlike my 5 and 10mg ones that i used to have? are the ingredients any different at all..im hoping that is the culprit

Last edited:
Visited my GI after a bad relapse. Doctor has prescribed 60mg of prednisone(to be taken in the morning after breakfast) for the next 15days. This the first time that i have been prescribed a steroid based drug.
What are the side affects of this drug ?

You should take your prednisone first thing in the morning so that the energy wears off by the time you're going to bed. If you take it in the middle of the day you'll have terrible insomnia all night..