• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira vs. Remicade

Please give me your input as to your experiences with Remicade vs. Humira. I am leaning toward Humira only because it is self administered and I really don't have the time to deal with a long infusion process, but would go with Remicade if it would mean better results. I know remicade works faster initially.

If it means anything, my crohns is in my ilium.

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi- I can't compare the 2 - but personally I prefer being tied up for 3-4 hours every 8 weeks vs. giving myself a shot every week or two.....

Astra

I've not tried any neither but would opt for Humira, it's made from human proteins, Remicade from mouse proteins, and I would rather self admin than a fusion cos I've no time or the inclination.
Check out both Clubs, but I think they're both as successful as each other from what I've read.

I went into remission and my fistulas closed 4 days after my first remicade infusion. It was a miracle for me.

Of the biologics I've only been on Humira, which works very well for me. It's easy to do the injection although the logistics if you travel a lot could be a faff - you have to store the injectors in the fridge.

I've been on both.
Remicide (infliximab) first.
I found it excellent. the infusion is only one morning every 8 weeks. it's no hassle really. I enjoyed the quiet time to myself and a book.

I had a reaction to infliximab, so was taken off after a year and a half.

I moved onto Humira, every 2 weeks, then every week.
I couldn't administer the injection because of a fear of needles, caused by a lumber puncture when I was small. So I got a local nurse to administer it.

I found pluses and minuses with both.

I have done both.

First on Remicade - Had to travel 120 miles for the infusion as I couldn't get anyone here to help me. So that added the cost of a tank of fuel. I was very lucky with the cost of the remicade, but all in all averaged out over a year was about $100/month. It worked wonderfully and I loved it. I just got tired of the traveling after about 3 years. However, I did like the little nap I got after taking the Benedryl....and the shopping the rest of the day was a complete plus as they don't have sales tax! They really like to see us drive into town haha

so.....

I got cheap and decided to try the Humira....Human protien vs mouse based (I liked that aspect of it even though I never had any problems with it), self adminstered, a lot less expensive as I didn't have to travel, GI agreed that it should work. I was on it 18 mos and progressively got worse and had to switch back to Remicade. My insurance would not approve an injection more often than every 2 weeks.

Been back on Remi for 1.5 years now and have not regretted switching back. GI was worried about an adverse action with switching back, but I didn't have one.

Bottom line is you need to use what works for you. Everyone reacts differently to the meds. As you have probably figured out from this forum, there are no cut and dried answers to any of the questions. Hope all the info you will get helps you make your decision.

Just finished with my session and had an appointment with my gastro.

Current:
Asacol
Prednosine 10mg
Vicodin (during the inflamation)

I had tried 6MP before had prednosine instead because I had upper stomach pains. My docs pitching to me alot of lingo that i'm not quite familiar with but he did mention considering remicade or humira. I'm taking 3 to 4 a day when i'm definately going through a session. Any info out there? i'm considering trying both and see which works best besides prednisine?

I have taken both. Remicade first, then Humira.

I prefer Humira over Remicade only because I could handle it myself and did not have to worry about going in for hours. I already spend way too much time in various docs offices and hospitals. If I can do it myself, that's the ticket!

But they were both great for me during the time I was taking them.

I am not afraid of needles and I cannot have a day off every 8-4 weeks cause then I will have no days off left. I went with Humira and currently I am... ok I guess. I am not flaring and have gained some weight (which I dont need)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I have also been on both. I can't say that Remicade gave me faster results. I started Humira and noticed a change on day 6 after the first injection. I was in an quick awesome remission, but it started failing after only 4 and 1/2 months, and my insurance denied me going weekly.
I started Remicade and now am in an amazing remission for 2 years now.

Humira was very convenient doing it at home, but I never gave myself the shot, my husband always did.
Remicade is still convenient for me, because the hospital is close to work and I can take 1/2 of a sick day from work and go after lunch and still be home by 5.

Have you checked with your insurance? Some companies want you to try one before the other.

I was on remicade in 2005-2006 and only stopped bc i got pregnant and decided there wasnt enough info for me to want to stay on it with the baby. it worked great for me though, at the time I lived in an area where i was near a hosptial and pharmacy that supplied the drug and did the infusions so it was only a few hrs out of a day. It put me into a complete remission and worked fast initially. I had no reactions to it at all and would recommend it. I never did end up going back to it even after the baby... actually just had my second 10 mos ago. I was lucky and stayed in remission even after stopping the remicade.
now yrs later im starting humira. Gone trough a rough patch and need the big drugs again.. i decided on humira bc we now dont live near a big hopital or anywhere that could do the infusions aside from driving 2 hrs to do it. A little more inconvenient.. and with 2 kids the childcare comes into play and such. The injection at home seems more practical for me and we are also questioning whether the remicade would work again since going off it. Trying something new and hoping it works. I opted for the pen to make the injection process easier, so far I've only had one dose my next is this thurs and I'm hoping this works out.

Ian

I had my worst flare about a year ago (the first and only to put me in hospital), and when Hydrocortisone followed by oral steroids failed me and I got progressively worse over 6 days (losing lots of blood), I was given Remicade. I felt like a new person within 24 hours and was out of hospital 3 days after taking it. It was incredible. I didn't stay on it long term though as at the time it could only be prescribed to treat accute symptoms rather than maintain remission (that's changed now though).

Currently flaring and because I'm away at University, I'm trying Humira as it's more convenient than travelling 140 miles home for a 4 hour infusion. Been on it for a month and it's not working out too well, seemed to be improving after my initial load up day (2 injections), but I've started declinging again. Either 1 shot a fortnight isn't enough, or the drug just doesn't work for me.

So from personal experience, I'd say Remicade is better but that's just me. I've had no side effects with either and I don't mind going to hospital (it's like a mile from my home so it's very convenient) or self-injecting (I have no phobia and it really doesn't hurt much) so none of that factors into my decision. I just find Remicade to be the more effective drug. I'll probably be switching back soon at this rate.

My husband has been on Remicade for years and has been doing fantastic. We just got a letter from his insurance company stating they will no longer pay for Remicade unless Humira doesn't work. This makes me so furious because Remicade is working for him. We spent our first year of marriage with him being so sick. I don't want to have to see him "possibly" go through this again because an insurance company is making him switch medications. I'm hoping Humira will work for him, but what I have read so far is that it looks like it works for a little while and then wears off. I'm just praying when and if he goes back to Remicade it will work for him again. I really hope Humira will work, but so upset that an insurance company is making medication decisions for him instead of something his doctor has prescribed and has been keeping him in remission. 4 months after we were married, he ended up getting a colostomy. 7 years later he was able to be reconnected due to Remicade putting him in remission. I just don't want him or I to have to relive that again. I'm on here trying to find positives with Humira to calm my nerves, so I'm praying all works out, since we don't have a choice. We are calling the physician tomorrow, but insurance told me they won't pay until we prove Humira won't work. Not fair!

My 18 year old son was on remicade for about 8 months and doing really well except after about 6 weeks after the infusion he started to not feel well. So in December I talked with the GI about switching to Humira, for the cost reason (the infusions are $28,000 !!!!! on my insurance), so we didn't have to pay the out of pocket cost right away and so he could self-inject when he (hopefully) goes away to college in the fall. But there seems to be a lot more side effects to the Humira, persistent weird rashes and sinus congestion. And it doesn't seem to be working as well, as he may be having a flare now. So I really regret changing, am so worried about him and feel guilty as it was my idea!

Dude thanks for the post. I've had similar history to you, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis (age 17), Crohns (age 23).

The diagnosis of crohns was made during my urgent A&E visit where i was rushed to hospital and had to have a bowel resection. Unfortunately though i had damage from a fistula which ment I've had to have a temporary double barreled Stoma.

Ill be back for the reversal surgery within a few months but just wanted to know how your doing? what medication are you happy with?.

I don't know why so many young adult males like us are on here praising Remicade because on the website they say in bold "Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma, a rare form of fatal lymphoma, has occurred mostly in teenage or young adult males with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis who were taking REMICADE"

I don't know what to go with or do about it. All the drugs seem to have such major impacts on the body and because of this i'm looking into extreme dieting but doing it properly instead of going for a drug that could harm me further. I'd appreciate anything you can give me advice on.