• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vit D

Another question I have, and Im new to the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong thread or has already been answered but if your on an Imuno-suppresant like Remicade doesnt taking a supplement that helps boost the immune sytem dimish the affect of the remicade?

Vitamin D is naturally fat soluable. Since a lot of Crohn's patients have trouble digesting fat, logically they are not absorbing a lot of their intake from Vitamin D. I have bought "easily absorbable" vitamin D pills. This is what I would suggest to us Crohnies.

Remicade does not suppress your entire immune system. It targest a specific protein created by your immune system that triggers inflamation. Supplements generally do the same thing, by helping a specific fulfill a specific chemical that you immune system needs in order to do that specific function. I would always recommend taking vitamins, as your immune system is not the only benefactor. There are other organs in your body that need these in order to properly function.

lol - and no, I am not a doctor.
<3

Coconut Oil contains easily absorbed medium chain fats. It is antibacterial antiviral and antifungal to boot. You can take a spoonful of it with vitamin D, and Turmeric, if you use it for inflammation. The Coconut Oil will help to absorb both supplements, and is supposed to be a treatment in its own rite.

Dan

ameslouise

Dan - what kind of turmeric supplement do you take?

I don't know if I could handle a spoonful of coconut oil. I would probably shart myself for sure.

Turmeric is available in many places but I have been getting my capsules from Puritans Pride. They are 400 milligram capsules, and I have used different kinds, but Turmeric is pretty much the same. Curcumin is a concentrated form of Turmeric, and is more expensive, but may work better for inflammation, due to the higher concentration of active ingredients.

You would think Coconut Oil would cause something nasty, but it usually does not work that way. It is so accessible by the body that it is digested before it can cause much trouble. Butter on the other hand can cause the "Sharts". A big old plate a bacon has its risks also.

Dan

I just had my yearly physical and my doc tests for Vit D. I scored a 21 which is deficient.
She prescribed 50,000 iu weekly of Vit D2. I started researching the idfferent forms of Vit D and everything I read says not to take D2, but only D3. Only D2 is available as a prescription.

Anyway, after reading about it, I think I understand why the drug companies only produce D2. I decided to take D3 and I'm taking 7000 iu a day. When I get retested in 8 weeks or so, I'll report the results.

When I used to eat coconut oil it used to make me swell up like a balloon and I'd be in agonizing pain in my Liver region! Such a shame because I adore the taste. But I will be trying it again soon, hopefully be alright :)

Have you heard about "grapefruit seed extract?"

It is amazing! It is fantastic for IBD and other digestive disturbances.

It didn't do anything to help me with my horrendous Digestive Symptoms. But I don't have Crohn's disease or IBD. But I know my mate with Crohns it has made her life so much better, she no longer has pain as often and the diarrhea is far less than before. So I really think it works. :award2:

GSE is a powerful antimicrobial extract, that is used by some people with Lyme Disease. Mostly for its ability to dissolve the wall of the cyst form of the bacteria.

I never thought of it as a Crohn's treatment, but I am not sure why. I have some that is not being used for anything right now.

I might try a few doses some time.

Dan