• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oh, Crohn's...

So, I'm laying in bed having a bit of a pity party tonight waiting for a Vicodin to kick in and figured... what better time to finally join the forum and chime in! ;)

My name's Kris, I'm 27, and I'm in my second semester of an accelerated nursing degree program at Duke University. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in September of last year, two weeks after starting the program. What timing.

My initial presentation took me through the ER as I've had several abdo surgeries (TAH '05, later lap for adhesions that led to a tuboovarian abscess and suspected bowel perf and major laparotomy as a result in early '08) and the campus NP was worried about obstruction. Had been having waves of LRQ pain, no bowel movements for several days, fever. They did a CT, found inflammation, admitted me, scoped me, and voila! Crohn's!

(Of course, now I know that it was likely an early Crohn's flare that caused the pain that we pinned on the adhesions that led to that lap that led to the abscess that led to the surgery/ICU time... oops. Wish they'd caught it back then.)

I'm apparently one of the small minority who doesn't experience excessive diarrhea with the disease.... instead, when I'm flared, I won't 'go' for days and then the dam will break, so to speak, in a truly agonizing fashion. Massive cramping, pain, and hours of bathroom runs going from fully formed to pure liquid. Then nothing for days, and repeat... all the while with LRQ pain ranging from tolerable and intermittent to truly whimper-inducing in severity. I also tend to run fevers and get arthralgic. I feel like our occasional less-than-lovely gero patient! Achy, cranky, and obsessed with my bowels!

My initial flare was controlled (mostly) with Entocort/budesonide and Lialda/mesalamine, but tapering off the Entocort was truly hellish... so much nausea, vomiting, fatigue. And to add insult to injury, I flared right back up (this was in December) and failed to respond to a reinitiation of the Entocort regime. So, we've started me on Imuran/azathioprine and I've been on that and prednisone (dreadnisone!) for the last two weeks. I feel like a cracked out squirrel 24/7, haven't slept more than 3-4 hours in a night in weeks 'cause I can't get to sleep until around 3am and have to wake at 6:30, am basically a zombie (a very, very, very irritable zombie, the kind who would probably eat something besides your brains first just to make you scream louder), and worst of all, the LRQ pain and bowel pattern has started to resume in the last week or so... so... pardon my french, but... f*ck me! What next?

(I actually will know the answer to that soon, I see my GI on Wednesday, but like I said, pity party. Feel free to join, bring cake. Or a salad if you really want to see me cry. I miss lettuce. And raw broccoli.)

Hm, what else. Ohh, I had a doozy of an anal fissure pop up in October or so, that was a fun couple of weeks jamming cardizem ointment up the pooper a few times a day, but that stuff's a miracle. Something else new is going on right now, too, have had a few instances of fairly significant leakage lately esp. during physical activity, but it's been bloody not fecal, so that's something else that I'm sure will require investigation of the "lay on your left side and bring your right knee up" variety. I think my GI gets to see more of my ass than my boyfriend does.

Basically, I feel ill to *some* degree most of the time, I'm in a ridiculously intensive/stressful degree program that requires a 60-80 hour a week commitment most of the time, and I feel like an 80 year old woman in a 27 year old's bloaty 'roided body. Yee-haw! ;)

In all seriousness, I do generally have quite a good attitude and sense of humor - being in the medical field means this is all a learning experience as well as a life one. And if you've gotta be sick while in school, at least nursing instructors Get It. It's not fun but I've found a bit of a support group on Twitter and I read the forums here quite often, and I look forward to chatting with y'all more. :)

Last edited:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Kris, hi! Welcome! Sorry you have Crohn's, but we're glad to have you here on the forum. Hope you don't mind too much that I laughed my way through your introduction -- you've got the sense of humour part down pat.

Take good care, and I hope you're off the Pred soon!

Laugh away. ;) If I didn't laugh at myself, I'd just cry all the time. What else are you supposed to do when your life suddenly revolves around your arse? I don't need both ends leaking all the time, one's enough.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Kris! I used to be a nursing student until I started working for a school district. I became a teacher. Best of luck as you complete your program. We need kind, empathetic nurses.

Kris, Im new to this forum as well and I cant believe I found someone this quickly who is in my category as well! I too am in that minority of crohnnies that deal with extreme constipation! Doc said thats why it took them so long to figure out! Whatever, but its funny because people always say that they thought people with Crohns have to go to the bathroom 20 times a day and worry about diarrhea! I guess they are challenging the validity of me having crohns? I wish you luck and hope that you get into remission! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated since there are few who can relate to how the disease has affected me!

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I suffer with both diarrhea and constipation. I think that is one of the reasons why it took so long for me to be diagnosed. They kept telling me it was IBS. I knew better because I had many other symptoms and felt pretty sick. After the tests, findings, and finally a diagnoses, I was told, "I guess your Crohn's likes variety." I don't find it funny.

Astra

Hi Kris
and welcome

You're gonna fit right in here sister!
We have to laugh don't we? Or, just lay down and die! I find laughter the best medicine and really take the piss out of my disease!
Good luck with your meds and getting off the Pred!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes!

Trying my hardest to get off pred... tapered to 35, started getting a little symptomatic... tapered to 30 this weekend and got sick sick sick with tons of RLQ pain, joint pain, and nausea. So, we're back at 35mg and holding and I'm going in for another CT tomorrow. Gotta say as much as I hate the pred, at least it works and lets me get on with my life!

Welcome, Kris! Glad to have your humor here! Hang in there with the Pred, sometimes all you need is a slower taper; after several failed tapers I told my docs to give me more time and I recovered very well. :)

Yeah, I think if the CT shows nothing remarkable then we're just gonna try and taper a whole lot slower, because I do *need* to get off this stuff. I'm so worried about my bones and all that good stuff.

But, there's enough pain still even back up on 35mg that I suspect I'm inflamed as heck again. What we do if THAT's the case, I have no idea. Hoping not to find out.

Why not take a calcium supplement to ease your mind while you're on the awful Pred? I did and seem to have had no problems. :)

Yeah, I'm going to go grab some tomorrow. I didn't realize it was a big problem (esp in IBD) until tonight, basically. I feel like it's just one thing after another to worry about!

You got that right. Things definitely settle down though, once you find that individual treatment plan and lifestyle that let you get back to normality. I know everyone says that, and the present is really all you can focus on, but the day will come! :)

Dear Kris,
Okay, I think I have stopped laughing enough to type now. Great intro!

Hang in there with the schooling. I went through to get my masters to be a speech pathologist. Rough, I know. The hours are brutal, the work load back breaking and the profs rather unfeeling but boy it was worth it!

I have the garden variety Crohn's. I am constantly going. That pain is bad enough, I cannot imagine constipation pain.

BTW: your pity party skills need work. ;)

Good luck,
Michele